Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger or STS Turbo?

Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger or STS Turbo?

I can't get any of these installments on my car yet...but I will soon. I'm still trying to decide which one is best for my 2005 V6 Mustang. What do you guys think? I thought the STS Turbo because I've seen how badass it is. But the supercharger would make sense going on a Ford. Let me know your opinions! Thank you sooooo much!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:18 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Supercharger or STS Turbo?

I hate to say it but if you're willing to shell out the money for one of those kits than the best mod for you would be to trade in your car for a GT.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:32 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Actually, it's going to be a gift from the boyfriend. So I just have to decide which one I want. I wouldn't be paying for it
Old 07-03-2006, 05:41 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

In that place, I would go with the turbo...
Old 07-03-2006, 05:42 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Hmm...I was leaning towards the turbo too. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
///M3jack
1st Gear Member

There you go! Trade it in for a GT and then have the boyfriend still get you the supercharger
Old 07-03-2006, 07:44 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I myself dont like turbos on cars like ours, theyre all fine and dandy on cars that want to hit 190+ but take 2 years to get there. I would personally rather have the convenience of having the supercharger power at any moment I might need it instead of waiting for a turbo to spool up... JMO
Old 07-04-2006, 02:21 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Sorry not to be mean but you are incorrect!
Having owned a Twin turbo Dodge Stealth and put 100K miles on it before it was retired for our 06 Convertible GT. When done correctly (list of factory stock cars inserted here) turbos are very nice. With slight mods stock turbos can put out real power! Turbo lag is all but a thing of the past in modern cars. Are they instant boost like a twin screw type S/C? No, but if you would compare modern turbos to S/Cs like procharger, vortech, and any of the centrifical S/Cs they are very close to each other in how they develope boost! It's a matter of opinion but even those are very close (some feel better) then the roots or twin screw type blowers in some applications. Our TT/RT Stealth was putting out right at 400hp (after slight mods) and got 26mpg highway. Any RPM above 2800 it is at full boost 100% of the time! Please read NO turbo lag in any real world situation. Yes leave it in 6th gear @ 65 mph and think it'll take off like a rocket, well NO! But neither will our 4.6 (lol IF it had a 6th gear) Check it out many will call BS but anyone want to guess the top speed of a twin turbo stealth ...... 171 mph No I have never been that fast in ours but I have seen 155+ and backed off. Was 171 possible in our car? I don't know but more then 155 was for sure. Now you might think that last sentence proves your point, well I left out that a stock TT/RT Stealth or Misubishi VR4 (same car mechanicaly) 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are almost exactly the same as our 06 Mustang GTs. This AWD/AWS twin turbo car was heavier then the GT and they stopped making them back in '96 becuase it was replace with, oh now what it the name of that car from Dodge...... Oh yea, the Viper! Hmm slow to 190 I don't think so. Go find one on the street or strip and play a little. Turbos have their place and it's right up at the top WITH superchargers.

All that being said.. I just bought a Saleen S/C and upgrade kit for the 06 vert GT. So I guess either work for me!
05SDI

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

I myself dont like turbos on cars like ours, theyre all fine and dandy on cars that want to hit 190+ but take 2 years to get there. I would personally rather have the convenience of having the supercharger power at any moment I might need it instead of waiting for a turbo to spool up... JMO
Old 07-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Yes, agreed. Rygen turned a 13.06 quarter on his PH turbo V6 the first time out. Turbo lag is not an issue on that setup obviously!

My personal opinion is that people who don't like turning wrenches should not get into a power adder on their car, or any other serious mod's for that matter. If you're under the hood every weekend messing with your car anyway, then maybe it's for you. But if the only time you've seen your motor is when they asked you to pop the hood at the oil change place, then you might want to reconsider. Power adders can be fussy and require some hands-on attention. They are also not the sort of thing that any corner garage can work on.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:21 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Well if you believe this, get in my car and let me pin you to the seat instantly. I can change your mind. Just the facts not opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger or STS Turbo?