Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

Default RE: GT exhaust questions

I haven't noticed much of a drone with my Borla's. Maybe a little around 1600-1700 rpm. But really, I'm not in that range much since I like to drive fast!
Everyone has a different opinion, which is why some people have good experiences and other have bad experieneces with the same product. I only listened to the soundclip on the Borla website since there are not many GT's in Oklahoma with aftermarket parts. I have to say, I am EXTREMEMLY satisfied with the sound. Again, purchase what you feel like sounds best.
The Borla's I bought were the cat-back, cost $679 from Racepages.com and ship from Kansas. I had my system the next day!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

So you are actually looking for that hollow sound?? I havent heard anything like that yet on an 05+.

To me the stock muffs have a sweet tone but are just to soft spoken.

Alot of the mufflers out there sound too deep to me. Almost fake sounding rather than natural. Dont know quite how to describe it. Corsa's seem appealing but I hear that they arent much louder at idle at all which concerns me. Where I want the car louder is at idle.

The car just is too quiet sitting there. Personally, I think musclecars should be a little raspy. I am afraid corsa will smooth it out too much.

If you are looking for refined I dont think the SLP LM fall into that catagory. Corsa would probably be the best bet.

Corsa has sound clips on their site too.

As far as borla, my only expirience was that my neighbor put them on his 88 or 89 vette. Sounded like crap IMO. They had this deep drone to them that would pierce my eardrums everytime he started the car up.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Well I suppose corsa is for you because macs' have drone. Damn I just couldn't pay 700 hundred dollars for an axle back. They

should be ashamed charging that much. I would think they aren't much louder than stock. I haven't heard much of a drone complaint

from the flowmaster people. Have you listen to Hookers. They sound sexy. http://www.holley.com/index.asp?division=Hooker
Old 07-05-2006, 10:44 PM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

Not sure that 'hollow' is the correct description I'm looking for but I think you and I are on the same page. I like the sound of the stock mufflers... they are just too quiet. I was reminded that I had the TRD duals on my Tundra (which are made by Borla also) and liked the sound, but they were really quiet compared to magnaflow and some of the others.

I would prefer to stay in the $350 and under for an axleback so that rules out Corsa. I'm not sure what to do at this point.... I realize the best thing to do is to go find someone that has each system and listen to it in person, but that's not an option. I'm sure all these people recommending I do that took their own advice before purchasing. [&:]

ORIGINAL: classj

So you are actually looking for that hollow sound?? I havent heard anything like that yet on an 05+.

To me the stock muffs have a sweet tone but are just to soft spoken.

Alot of the mufflers out there sound too deep to me. Almost fake sounding rather than natural. Dont know quite how to describe it. Corsa's seem appealing but I hear that they arent much louder at idle at all which concerns me. Where I want the car louder is at idle.

The car just is too quiet sitting there. Personally, I think musclecars should be a little raspy. I am afraid corsa will smooth it out too much.

If you are looking for refined I dont think the SLP LM fall into that catagory. Corsa would probably be the best bet.

Corsa has sound clips on their site too.

As far as borla, my only expirience was that my neighbor put them on his 88 or 89 vette. Sounded like crap IMO. They had this deep drone to them that would pierce my eardrums everytime he started the car up.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:51 PM
wishIhada5.0
2nd Gear Member

I was just liostening to sound clips ON SLP's site of the power flows and the loud mouths, i want the loudmouths but from the clip the loud mouths sounded a lil ricer like right offa the line on the accelerate clip, do they really have that fart can sound at anything below 3000 rpm?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

borla has drone
Old 07-06-2006, 01:19 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

I think the corsas can be had for low $500s on e-bay. A few guys bought there with good outcomes.

I am just concerned that at idle they will sound too stock. And I would hate to loose the wonderfull raspy burble the car has stock.

Maybe electric cutouts are the answer for when I need more volume?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:52 AM
B2

Anyone have thoughts on the JBA Axle Back Mufflers? Some of the guys that work for me bought me some as a going away gift.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Wow those are great friends.
ORIGINAL: B2

Anyone have thoughts on the JBA Axle Back Mufflers? Some of the guys that work for me bought me some as a going away gift.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:04 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I've been looking for days and still can't come up with the right exhaust set-up ..

Quick Reply: GT exhaust questions