Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wow this was expensive

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:29 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: wow this was expensive

I would go back to the dealer and complain about this.

If they want to keep you as a customer their charge should be reasonable not a complete rip off.

If they do that to you for a key what else are they doing to you. I would take my business elsewhere in any event even if they reduce the charge.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:35 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lmmmmm
I would go back to the dealer and complain about this.

If they want to keep you as a customer their charge should be reasonable not a complete rip off.

If they do that to you for a key what else are they doing to you. I would take my business elsewhere in any event even if they reduce the charge.
I don't see where he has a right to complain, yes it is expensive but I would assume they gave him a quote before doing the work. Ford probably lists programming a key as 1 hour of labor (it doesn't matter if it takes that long that is what they charge). I know techs that can do 2 hour brake jobs in under an hour, does that mean they should make less because they are fast? Not to be mean but if he had read his manual he would have know he could do the key programming himself.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

IT's pretty easy to do, the instructions are right in the owner's manual. the same aplies for the remotes.
With the remote you only need one existing remote to program a new remote though. I think they require two existing keys to program a new one as a security measure, so that someone (valet, service station, etc.) can't program a new key if they borrow your existing key and then steal your car later.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Ummmm, I'm still not reading the manual . You MUST be kidding?! Who the heck reads that manual. 99.9% of the information in there is like, to tilt the seat back, pull up on the tilt lever and push back" or "to turn on the headlights, turn the **** clockwise"... or to be careful on wet roads.... Please, I can't take it... -Joe
Old 07-06-2006, 07:16 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I'm not saying read the entire manual but it is good to skim through it. It would have saved him $100, I took about 30 minutes to skim the manual, my time isn't worth $200/hr (I wish it was but I don't make $500k/yr).
Old 07-06-2006, 07:55 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

I'm not saying read the entire manual but it is good to skim through it. It would have saved him $100, I took about 30 minutes to skim the manual, my time isn't worth $200/hr (I wish it was but I don't make $500k/yr).
I didn't think a key was something that I would be able to program myself, I figured only the dealer could do that. turns out i was wrong. next time i'll ask before i go to the dealer again.

i'm still pissed about this. could have saved 100 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I cheated!

I had my dealer promise make me 2 extra keys before I even picked up my car.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Blank key off ebay is $15. $4 local cut. $0 to program yourself in 30 seconds.

Their labor charge is riduculous considering the actual time needed to "program".

Old 07-06-2006, 08:26 PM
razol
1st Gear Member

I only got 1 key when I bought the car. I argued about it but they would not budge. Since it was a used car and at a good price I begrudginly accepted their stance.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Wierd.... never knew keys had to be "Programmed". What happend to just having the damn thing cut and it working...

Quick Reply: wow this was expensive