Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wow this was expensive

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:18 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Default wow this was expensive

I went to get another key made so that it can be used with the remote starting system i bought and the dealership charged me 35 dollars for the key, 90 dollars in labor (please), and 10 dollars in tax for a grand total of ~140 dollars FOR ONE KEY.

insane.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Default RE: wow this was expensive

& u paid it! I woulda checked around, thats robbery. Id report that to the BBB.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:34 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

That's pretty normal the keys have to be programmed. Next time try a Locksmith it may save you a few bucks.

Richard
Old 07-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

OK, here's the deal. You get two keys when you buy your car. Anyone can program a 3rd key if you already have two. BUT, if you lose one of your two original keys, you're hosed. Only the dealership (or a locksmith) can program an extra for you if you only have one original. What I did was as soon as I got my car, I bought a 3rd key off of eBay. I sent them my key code and they cut the new one for me. I don't remember how much it was, but I want to say it was around 30 bucks for the key and cutting. When I got it I followed the simple instructions for programming it, it takes like 3 minutes. The steps require you to put one of the original keys in the ignition, then the other, then the new key. The car programs the new key to match the other two. Then I stored the new key in a safe place along with my original spare. If I ever lose a key I will immediately buy a replacement so that I always have at least 3 on hand.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

OK, here's one on eBay for 20 bucks, it says in the description he'll cut it for a small fee (I know this doesn't help Andyman, but maybe someone else needs one):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-FOR...QQcmdZViewItem

And here are the programming instrux:

PATS 2 And 3 Programming Procedure

1. Place first already programmed key in the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON(RUN) for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

2. Within 5 seconds, insert the second already programmed key in the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON(RUN) for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

3. Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, insert the new key into the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON(RUN) for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

The theft indicator light should go on for three seconds, after which the key will start the vehicle. Repeat this process, from the beginning, for each new key to be programmed.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:10 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

DAMMIT I wish I had known this beforehand.... would have saved some money, because I know where i can get keys.

and i assume there is no way i can return this key. AHHHHH WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

and thanks for the info!!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Oh, sorry bro! I thought you meant you only had one key to begin with. Well look at the bright side, there are probably a couple dozen guys reading this and rushing over to eBay to buy extra keys now
Old 07-06-2006, 12:45 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Good Info Tres Wright

Richard
Old 07-06-2006, 12:57 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

Oh, sorry bro! I thought you meant you only had one key to begin with. Well look at the bright side, there are probably a couple dozen guys reading this and rushing over to eBay to buy extra keys now
yeah I had both originals... ah man i am beating my head over this.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:06 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Yea, they quoted me that once and I walked out. I went to a local locksmith and they made a key and reprogrammed my ats system for about $70. If I had 2 keys, I could have bout a spare on ebay for about $10 and programmed it myself. IT's pretty easy to do, the instructions are right in the owner's manual. the same aplies for the remotes.

Quick Reply: wow this was expensive