Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 12:27 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!

ORIGINAL: d_man777

Okay, I new what I was getting into when I bought a black car, just not to this extent. Apparantly, our water is harder than I expected. I follow all the rules, but it doesn't seem to help. I never wash in the sun, I wash in sections, I dry with microfibers, wash with a mitt, blah, blah, blah. But nothing seems to matter and now I have the water spots from hell. I wash frequently, and it looks great from about three feet back, but up close and especially in the glare of the sun, the spots pop out. Not horrible, but they drive ME nuts. My wife thinks I'm an idiot, but I just can't deal with how it looks with all the time I put into it.

The worst came from the Mr. Crap car washing system. I think their soap did the worst damage of anything. A couple of months ago, I was going out in the evening and the only chance I had to wash the dirty car was in the middle of the afternoon. So, despite my better judgment, I let my wife talk me into using the Mr. Clean thing and letting it air dry. I washed it per their instructions, rinsed the crap out of it, and used the "deionized" water thoroughly to get the hard water off the car. I STILL HAVE STREAKS AND SPOTS FROM THEIR FREAKIN' SOAP!!

Okay, rant over. Anyone have suggestions? What do I do to 1) get rid of them, and 2) keep them from coming back.

Thanks in advance!
Man, I hear ya about the water spots. I'm tell'in ya right now you can do everything you can think of and those darn spots and other crap aint com'in off. Been there.....done that.

The only way to get the crud off the paint is to "Clay" the car. Go down to Auto Zone, they sell "Mothers Clay Bar System". Claying the car is very simple, easy and effective.

Once you do your car you will be totally blown away at how cool your paint job really is.

I clay my GT about once or twice a month. I have just started using Duponts Teflon Liquid car polish today. The test will be at how well it protects the car from electrostatic build up of dust.

Normally, I use Turtle Ice. Its the only polish I've been happy with. Its hard to get Scream'in Yellow to look like glass.

Get the clay bar and use it, you wont be sorry.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:04 AM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

Clay. Also works great on bird dropping stains if you get to it soon enough.
ORIGINAL: BLACK06GT4M

Clay bar will probably do the trick. If not try a good paint cleaner like Meguiars step 1 followed by Step 2 polish. Water spot suck and drove me nuts for a long time. Once you get rid of em get a good coat of wax on her and QD after every wash to keep them under control.

Good Luck
Old 07-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Go Blue 48044
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like your getting some good advice.Once you do get rid of those spots.You may want to consider that California Squeegie I've never used one but it sounds like it might help with your problem.Here is one Good luck. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Calif...spagenameZWD1V
Old 07-09-2006, 02:07 AM
rhein
1st Gear Member

+1 on the California Squeegee.... it get's 90% or more of the water off in just a few minutes. If the car is waxed, the places like the hood, trunk and roof won't need to be hit with a towel afterwards. You'll have to use the towel in some spots obviously, but the squegee makes quick work of drying the car.

Keep it in your trunk and if you have to hit a coin op car wash (not the mechanical one's but the ones with the pressure washers) and you can have the car dry really quick there too.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:23 AM
travis_stl

I have a black 06 and after having it for 3 months I waxed it with Meguiars NXT. *Note- use a micro-fiber towel to remove because the Meguiars has a polish in the NXT wax but it really looks great. You must wipe it off with micro-fiber towel.
Now something cool that I just started doing! I also get water spots a lot and it gets old washing the car 2 times a week. I started using Meguiars Quick Detailer in the garage in between a car wash to remove water spots. You just mist it on and wipe with a micro-fiber towel. Its very fast and looks nice.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41050/42F25F621BB2470197FC7151EC752266.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-09-2006, 08:17 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Echo on the clay bar. Takes the water spots right off along with any other contaminates. A nice wax coat should prevent any more water spots from frying into our black paint.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:37 AM
KdF
1st Gear Member

Zaino

Zaino

Zaino

Did I mention Zaino?

http://www.zainostore.com/

I never hand dry. It makes swirls on the clear-coat. I use a blower <from a vacume> asap and then the polishing spray from Zaino.

You will be suprised.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:53 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

I third the clay bar. Use regular Dawn dish detergent (you shouldn't use this often, but once in a while will be okay) - the detergent will cut through all of the wax build up on your car and you can work directly on the clearcoat. Then use the claybar, your car will be SQUEAKY clean. From there, use the wax of your choice. I prefer zaino as well. Takes FOREVER to apply, but it lasts forever, and looks shiny even when it's dirty. And smooooooth too.

Edit. Dry your car with a 100% clean white cotton towel. Some folks say darker towels leave dye on your car <shrug> -- i use it because it is soft, super absorbent, and since it is white, you can see what you are still pulling off of your car. Dry in back and forth motions, not circular.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 PM
MarkF

I never have a problem with water spots on a black car. If you use a car wash, simply get out of your car afterward and have a couple gallons of distilled water handy to dump over the beast. Same works if you wash by hand, but do not allow any water to dry while you're washing of you'll have to address the spots one by one.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

My remedy for water spots is simple....don't buy a black car.
I learned this when I was 15 and got my first car...a black Shelby Charger.
I vowed I would never own a black car again, and haven't.

Stick to the lighter colors.
In the meantime, there are some pretty good products
for removing water spots at your local PepBoys.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!