Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any regrets in negotiating?

Old 07-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default Any regrets in negotiating?

I was wondering if anyone else had any regrets after they had negotiated their deal for their new stang. I wish I had gotten the dealer to throw in a pair of extra floor mats and a set of GT wheels.....and a couple of oil changes.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:02 AM
SaleenBuyer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Any regrets in negotiating?

I came in and negotiated a great deal, took the car home, and found a "red tag" in the glovebox for only $300 more than I paid. I could have got a better price []

I then looked at the build date in the door jamb and found it was built 12/05. Definately could have negotiated harder.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:23 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

I was very happy with the deal I got. I paid 1K under MSRP for a car that was 1 of 1 in a 250 mile radius in the colors and options I wanted. And most dealers wanted 2-3K over MSRP.

And the car was only on the lot for literally 4 days before I picked it up and it had like 6 miles on it, so personally, I was thrilled to death.

Besides. I have made more car salespeoples lives so miserable through the years I figured I owed them one.

Between the cars I bought for myself and everyone in the family who wants me to go with them, I must be on some car dealers people to kill list.

Normally I negotiate in terms of hundreds below invoice.

But given the popularity of the car, my hands were sort of tied. I mean, there were two other guys signing on mustangs that day, they were in no rush to sell them at a discount.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:12 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I paid MSRP for mine when the GT was hotter than anything. Dealer called me as soon as the latest shipment came in. I went down chose the one I liked the best with the options I wanted and didn't bother haggling. I may have paid a little more than I should have but hey, when i go in for service they treat me like I drive a Rolls Royce! Can you say that you get that kind of service after buying on some X-Plan???
Just wondering
Old 07-09-2006, 11:10 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

It took me from February until June to finally get my 06 GT Vert. I had a down payment on one at a local dealer. I had another one oredered for me by the dealer (I didn't actually approve the order.), and then I officially ordered one from a third local dealer. The first GT had everything I wanted except the 18 polished wheels. (It had the fan blades). I worked out a deal for 2200 less then the sticker. The second one the dealer ordered had everything except it had the parchment top. (I decided to go with black after recommendations from a friend). I had a deal worked out also for 2200 less then sticker. (This dealer advised me that I could do better if I ordered a car rather then buying off the lot). I took his advice and went to a third dealer and ordered exactly what I wanted for 3100 less then sticker. I had to wait, but as I told every sales person who tried to use the "you'll have to wait months for the car if you order" angle, "I can wait to get what I want". THe car arrived one week early, and it was perfect. The salesman who processed the actual pick up of my car was not my original sales rep. He even commented about how well I did when he looked down at the paperwork. This dealer has a "customer for life" program where they offer oil changes free for life, car washes free for life, and a engine for life program( you have to have all maintenance done by them to activate the engine for life program). Unfortunately I change my oil, and wash my cars myself.Besides the dealership is ouit of the way so it makes no sense. They gave me the floor mats, exhaust tips, and actually threw in a new programmed keyless entry FOB for my wife's Escape. The one I used had broken. So, like I always tell people, unless you are rich and money is meaningless, buying a new vechicle is "work". Pure and simple.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:51 AM
V8O6

A good deal is only as good as you think it is. If you got a car for a price that you are comfortable with, then that's all that matters.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I wish I was more aware of the good credit I had. USAA really hooked me up though. I would have borrowed more money so the dealership could install a saleen S/C under warranty. Maybe a couple of suspension parts as well. But as far as the car I got exactly what I wanted. I but once again not knowing my bank had me covered like I did I could have sold my trade in for 2-3X what the dealer gave me for it. But I guess you live and learn.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:56 AM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

im happy with my deal they showed me the invoice and i paid 500 over that
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 AM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: classj

I was very happy with the deal I got. I paid 1K under MSRP for a car that was 1 of 1 in a 250 mile radius in the colors and options I wanted. And most dealers wanted 2-3K over MSRP.

But given the popularity of the car, my hands were sort of tied. I mean, there were two other guys signing on mustangs that day, they were in no rush to sell them at a discount.
Why would they sell you the car that cheap when they could get $1,000 over from the next guy? Seems like bad business to me. What did the invoice say?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I guess my real question is where are they making their money? Did you trade in a car? Did you finance through ford for 15%?

ORIGINAL: GTlust

ORIGINAL: classj

Why would they sell you the car that cheap when they could get $1,000 over from the next guy? Seems like bad business to me. What did the invoice say?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any regrets in negotiating?