Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

top ten ways to make your mustang gt faster

Old 07-10-2006, 12:02 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: top ten ways to make your mustang gt faster

cai, tune, gears, headers, UDP's, throttle body, tires, suspension, forced induction, cams, ported heads.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:31 AM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

If you have an automatic a properly sized torque converter will give you .6-.7 et improvement. Anybody mentioned nitrous?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:51 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

I think my biggest worry would be tossing a rod out the side of the block.

I think that I would be happy with a low 12 second/ high 11 second ride. And if that can be had with a S/C in a few days work for 5K with some proof that the motor will not grenade. That might be the way to go for me.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

You can safely go 425 HP to the wheels on these motors, The 2 biggest week points of this block is the crank since its a powdered assembly and the pistons since the ring groove is so close to the top of the piston.
I am not sure how much it will cost but I am doing some research on a better crank and pistons. Steeda has a great write up of these engines and they suffer from the same problem the non blown 4.6's did that came in the machs. I was told with a better crank and pistons that 600+ streetable horses can be done and will last daily and even long distance drives 7 days a week.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:33 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
I would do the cams and heads then SC later.. because for a good.. 3 grand you can get almost as much as a SC.. but if you fo SC first its alot harder to do cams and heads later. MM&FF did a cam and head job in the august issue... got like 100 hp or so out of it if I can recall.
I *think* heads/cams more likely to gain topend hp, with marginal bottom end improvements- but a positive displacement blower would boost the torque all the way thru...and if its a street car, torque 'feels' better than HP 90% of the time you spend driving...I'd save my pennies for a roots style blower- I want one bad.
just another 2 cents...
Old 07-10-2006, 01:40 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
I would do the cams and heads then SC later.. because for a good.. 3 grand you can get almost as much as a SC.. but if you fo SC first its alot harder to do cams and heads later. MM&FF did a cam and head job in the august issue... got like 100 hp or so out of it if I can recall.
I *think* heads/cams more likely to gain topend hp, with marginal bottom end improvements- but a positive displacement blower would boost the torque all the way thru...and if its a street car, torque 'feels' better than HP 90% of the time you spend driving...I'd save my pennies for a roots style blower- I want one bad.
just another 2 cents...
I know but if youre trying to max out a car youre going to want to do both eventually so why not do the cams before the SC and make it easier on yourself in the long run. Plus if youre going to buy a SC dont get a roots one, they suck. Get a twin screw or centrifugal. Thats why the Saleen, KB, and Procharger SC's make so much more power than the Rousch. IMO buying a Rousch SC is worthless. Same amount of money for less power, just doesnt make sense in my book.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:44 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

You can safely go 425 HP to the wheels on these motors, The 2 biggest week points of this block is the crank since its a powdered assembly and the pistons since the ring groove is so close to the top of the piston.
I am not sure how much it will cost but I am doing some research on a better crank and pistons. Steeda has a great write up of these engines and they suffer from the same problem the non blown 4.6's did that came in the machs. I was told with a better crank and pistons that 600+ streetable horses can be done and will last daily and even long distance drives 7 days a week.
I don't know where you got your info but it is all wrong. The crank is nodular iron and is not the weak part of the rotating assembly, the rods and pistons are crap and will give out long before the crank does. With a good tune you can get over 450rwhp and still keep the engine from grenading. If you want to get to 600+rwhp you will need a lot more then just a new rotating assembly.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:51 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

according to MM&FF, BBR's ported heads+cam and a full exhaust gets you 382 to the ground on pump gas. add in CAI, tune, UDP's, and a bigger throttle body, and i could easily see 400-425 to the ground.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:57 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

according to MM&FF, BBR's ported heads+cam and a full exhaust gets you 382 to the ground on pump gas. add in CAI, tune, UDP's, and a bigger throttle body, and i could easily see 400-425 to the ground.
Yeah they quoted 382 without any other mods.. thats over 100 hp improvement over stock..
Old 07-10-2006, 02:15 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Before you guys do anything I would suggest you read up on blow by racing and their head and cam combo. There has been plenty of debate as to weather they were inflating the numbers, and MM&FF doesn't verify claims by people that advertise with them they just run their articles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: top ten ways to make your mustang gt faster