MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Saleen SC being installed tomorrow. ANY ADVICE? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/150337-saleen-sc-being-installed-tomorrow-any-advice.html)

skymedic 07-11-2006 12:09 AM

Saleen SC being installed tomorrow. ANY ADVICE?

Hey guys,

I got my Saleen SC being installed starting tomorrow, we are adding a 2nd fuel pump as well, I bought the CDC guage pod, Having it painted Redfire to match the car, I got the Autometer Cobalt Boost, Fuel Pressure, Water Temp Guages. I got a Raptor Shift light, and last but not least, A Hurst competition short shifter from Brenspeed.

Did everyone go with the cooler plugs gapped to .035? The shop says that you dont need them if the tune is right, we are custom tuning on their dyno jet after the install!

Any suggestions and or comments are appreciated, so that I may discuss everyting with the shop tomorrow AM.

Thanks,
john

[IMG]local://upfiles/30525/A25B0F3447FA4DDB8E907E944C850675.jpg[/IMG]

discofan 07-11-2006 01:32 AM

RE: Saleen SC being installed tomorrow. ANY ADVICE?

Dear Skymedic,

That's right...

A colder plug is not going to make that much difference...

You should have a good 90mm MAF CAI system, #39 injectors and a good tune...

The Saleen tune is not worth the time it takes to tune your car...

In order to tune your Saleen properly, get yourself a Super Cal-2 and have it dynoed...

And since you have the fuel pumps, you could go smaller on than the stock pulley to get more power too...

I have a Saleen w/#39 injectors, Steeda 90mm MAF and 3.6 pulley...

Makes over 400 RWHP so hang on.........

Dave

05SDI 07-11-2006 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: discofan

Dear Skymedic,

That's right...

A colder plug is not going to make that much difference...

You should have a good 90mm MAF CAI system, #39 injectors and a good tune...

The Saleen tune is not worth the time it takes to tune your car...

In order to tune your Saleen properly, get yourself a Super Cal-2 and have it dynoed...

And since you have the fuel pumps, you could go smaller on than the stock pulley to get more power too...

I have a Saleen w/#39 injectors, Steeda 90mm MAF and 3.6 pulley...

Makes over 400 RWHP so hang on.........

Dave
Discofan,
Not to discredit your post;

Stock MAF, w/o CAI, #39 injectors, 3.85 pulley (>6 lbs boost) with Saleen upgrade kit. Guys are claiming around 405RWHP (475hp crank) with the addition upgrade kit and Saleen tune on a 100% stock car w/ Saleen S/C and the 3.85" pulley, with #39 injectors and tuned to 91 octane. The 3.6" pulley is 'supposed to be close to 10 lbs boost and over 450 RWHP on a otherwise stock car. But if you have dynoed your car and it has over 400 hp at the tires I would really like to know what the 90mm MAF, 3.6 pulley, and custom tune each did for you? Please don't take this as bashing I'm just curious as to what performance each change honestly gave and where the extra 50 or so hp went when you added more boost. Your boost should be around 8-10 pounds with that 3.6 pulley. Again I'm not bashing, are ragging on you so please don't take it that way! I just want to know what to expect when I have my Saleen S/C with upgrade kit installed. I am being told (yes by saleen engineer) that 475hp at the crank is underrated for my set up. (i live in cool temps and just above sea level so 480 to 485 hp at the crank is very posible for my car mainly because we have great air here in Alaska; cool and dense)
On another note you are correct about Saleens first tunes that were availble a while back for the first S/C with 4" pulley (claiming around 435hp at crank) as being crap (or lean in reallity) but those issues should have been addressed if not contact your Saleen rep and see what can be done. The upgrade kit (475hp crank) is a completely different tune then the stock Saleen S/C tune (435hp crank). 05SDI

Tmack 07-11-2006 02:06 AM

From what I found out from Saleen, you need to go with the colder plug when you go over 500 horsepower. They also said that running at 10psi boost is the breaking point on stock internals, which is around 500hp. They offer a kit for the supercharger that raises the power from 435 to 475. They feel this is safe for the stock motor. I would seriously investigate that before customizing the supercharger. The kit includes: 6psi pulley, 98mm MAF air tube and box cover, 39# injectors and custom tune from Saleen.

05SDI 07-11-2006 02:16 AM

skymedic you might want to look into lower engine mounts as the left rear corner of your Saleen S/C will be rubbing on the piece of plastic and there is very little S/C/firewall clearance on the right rear of S/C. Lower mounts cure these issues. 05SDI

hawgman 07-11-2006 02:44 AM

ORIGINAL: skymedic

Hey guys,

I got my Saleen SC being installed starting tomorrow, we are adding a 2nd fuel pump as well,
Why? Your stock pump is going to be good up to ~450rwhp. Adding a 2nd fuel pump is not going to be any benefit to you. Your fuel delivery system and air intake will not be able to utilize the added fuel. As Disco stated, get yourself a 90mm MAF and new MAS, and some 39lb injectors. That will be much more beneficial to you at the moment than a 2nd fuel pump. Just out of curiosity, what is the "2nd" pump? Are you going the GT500 route with the pumps and second FPDM? Or some other method?

...... A Hurst competition short shifter from Brenspeed.
[:o]

Did everyone go with the cooler plugs gapped to .035? The shop says that you dont need them if the tune is right, we are custom tuning on their dyno jet after the install!
Your tune doesn't have near as much to do with the need for the colder plugs as the amount of boost does. You can get away with stock plugs on lower boost. Cram more psi in to the heads, you need a different spark duration. That is the need for colder plugs. With the stock pulley, you won't be having issues with blow by.

ORIGINAL: discofan
In order to tune your Saleen properly, get yourself a Super Cal-2
I have seen you reference a "Super Cal-2" several times. Are you meaning to say an XCalibrator 2?

hawgman 07-11-2006 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

skymedic you might want to look into lower engine mounts as the left rear corner of your Saleen S/C will be rubbing on the piece of plastic and there is very little S/C/firewall clearance on the right rear of S/C. Lower mounts cure these issues. 05SDI
Not if it is positioned correctly. You don't need the shorter prothane mounts. Loosen the SC and move it forward. No more firewall rub.

hawgman 07-11-2006 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

Discofan,
Not to discredit your post;

Stock MAF, w/o CAI, #39 injectors, 3.85 pulley (>6 lbs boost) with Saleen upgrade kit. Guys are claiming around 405RWHP (475hp crank) with the addition upgrade kit and Saleen tune on a 100% stock car w/ Saleen S/C and the 3.85" pulley, with #39 injectors and tuned to 91 octane. The 3.6" pulley is 'supposed to be close to 10 lbs boost and over 450 RWHP on a otherwise stock car. But if you have dynoed your car and it has over 400 hp at the tires I would really like to know what the 90mm MAF, 3.6 pulley, and custom tune each did for you? Please don't take this as bashing I'm just curious as to what performance each change honestly gave and where the extra 50 or so hp went when you added more boost. Your boost should be around 8-10 pounds with that 3.6 pulley. Again I'm not bashing, are ragging on you so please don't take it that way! I just want to know what to expect when I have my Saleen S/C with upgrade kit installed. I am being told (yes by saleen engineer) that 475hp at the crank is underrated for my set up. (i live in cool temps and just above sea level so 480 to 485 hp at the crank is very posible for my car mainly because we have great air here in Alaska; cool and dense)
On another note you are correct about Saleens first tunes that were availble a while back for the first S/C with 4" pulley (claiming around 435hp at crank) as being crap (or lean in reallity) but those issues should have been addressed if not contact your Saleen rep and see what can be done. The upgrade kit (475hp crank) is a completely different tune then the stock Saleen S/C tune (435hp crank). 05SDI

First, you are off on your pulleys.
4" ( stock ) is 3.5lbs
3.8" pulley is 5.5lbs
3.6" pulley is 7.5lbs
3.4" pulley is 9.5lbs

The ability of the supercharger to draw in more air with the addition of a better intake tube and some sort of CAI is where the added horse power is going to come from. The stock air intake is restrictive on a normally aspirated motor. That restriction is exploited even more with the addition of a supercharger. That is where the larger MAF and MAS come in to play. The larger MAF is going to obviously allow for more air flow to the intake system of the car. The upgraded MAS is going to allow the new flow to be read properly. If you were to stay with the stock MAS you would peg the voltage around 425ish rwhp.

And reguardless of what a Saleen sales rep may say, the Saleen tunes are "less than desireable". If your tuner is worth his salt, you should not have any issues getting above the expected 405rwhp with a 3.85" pulley. I was getting 417 with the stock pulley.

05SDI 07-11-2006 05:04 AM

ORIGINAL: hawgman

And reguardless of what a Saleen sales rep may say, the Saleen tunes are "less than desireable". If your tuner is worth his salt, you should not have any issues getting above the expected 405rwhp with a 3.85" pulley. I was getting 417 with the stock pulley.
hawgman,
I understand you know more then I do about our S/Cs. Not that it really matters but it was a Saleen Engineer, I had some questions that the "sales rep" couldn't answer so he passed me on to a guy who seems to really know what was going on and claimed to be an engineer for Saleen. One of my specific questions was how will this S/C perform when driven at -30F degrees. 95% of America could care less about that question but living in Alaska where temps get that cold every winter it is a valid concern. Now this guy, call him a sales rep or whatever you want, he knew more then I'll ever know about what it takes to make these things run. The option that most of you have access to that I do not is a place for a custom tune, as I don't beleive there are any places like that up here. And then trying to get a tune from on of the shops down south, well hmm what will their tune do during our cold winters? In reality my car will never see ambent temps at or above 90F degrees. I don't need a tune thats good from 30F-130F like most of you guys, I need a tune that works from -30F to 80F.So I think I am going to have to keep the Saleen tune and leave what ever HP that is left on the table.. well on the table.

I just went to the local Ford shop that is a Saleen dealer and there is a S/C Saleen there (very nice car BTW) the Saleen S/C is hittin the plastic on the left rear and less then 3/8" on the right rear between the S/C and firewall.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

05SDI

BigDave 07-11-2006 09:18 AM

Good luck Skymedic!
I did go with the regapped colder plugs. Sidmaniac stated (in the Kenne Bell sticky) that he was throwing codes for misfiring with the stock gap. This is related to the increased dielectric coefficient of compressed air (beyond the stock compressed stroke pressure).
Since I'm showing around 9PSI, I thing the colder plugs are wise, but who knows...