Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible interior cover options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible interior cover options?

my only experience with one of those roadster interior covers was chuckling as I saw some guy with a Porsche or MG use one, a thunderstorm came by, the cover pooled water, then collapsed, and his interior got soaked.

Maybe t-storms are not a problem where you live, but having had a convertible for 10 plus years I've just put the top up when I want the interior protected, and I've never had a problem with any motors or mechanisms.

Scott's solution with the full car cover is a good option, but even a short ride will cover the rear bumper and taillights with dust which could scratch the paint or lenses when rubbed by the cover, and small amounts of dirt will accumulate inside the cover until it gets dirty enough to scratch the car....

So there is my experience, and my recomendation based on it.
ORIGINAL: bwilder10h

If I wanted to put the top up, I wouldn't be asking about a cover.

Please comment if you have experience with a cover....
Old 07-11-2006, 09:35 PM
devveldogg

I have this cover on order...http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-10487-25-0.html Haven't gotten it yet, so I can't give any pro's or con's.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:47 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: devveldogg

I have this cover on order...http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-10487-25-0.html Haven't gotten it yet, so I can't give any pro's or con's.
That's not a lot different than just using a blanket held in place by your wipers, front windows, and trunk (as I suggested above).
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 AM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

devveldogg, if you could post back when you get the cover with your impressions.... I would appreciate it.

ORIGINAL: devveldogg

Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

Scott,

The main objective (while keeping those hot black leather seats cool is a concern) is to keep dust out of the interior. The lot across the street from my office is getting 4 huge office complexes built, as well as a large hotel and a World Gym. That being said, I'd rather have something that forms to the body of the car and seals fairly tight. When I come out after an 8 hour day, we're talking a huge layer of dust on the car... not just a spec here or there...

ORIGINAL: ScottRNelson

That's not a lot different than just using a blanket held in place by your wipers, front windows, and trunk (as I suggested above).
Old 07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
devveldogg

Soon as it comes in I'll get back to ya.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:15 PM
slowpozer
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bwilder10h

I'm looking for a cover that goes over just the interior when my car is parked at work with the top down. They are doing some construction in the lot across the street and there is an aweful lot of dust flying during the day. I was thinking something like this would be nice and then spotted a new Carrera Cab in the lot next to us with one so I know they are out there...

The only thing I can find is a cover made by covercraft. It looks nice but the only thing that concerns me is the sides are held down with straps that attach to the door handles. They claim the material is soft, but I still don't like the idea of them rubbing against the paint.

Anyone know of other options or have experience with a product like this?
These covers are made to keep the interior cool. The 12 second automatic top is made to protect the interior.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

If you just want to protect the intereior, the California pop top is the most cost effective solution, however, if you want to keep the hole car clean, you can buy a car cover from Ebay for less then $33 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...spagenameZWD1V

I'm thiking of getting one of these as a light duty summer cover. I have an all weather cover I use during the winter months but it's big and bulky. It practically takes up the entire trunk.

I agree that it would be nice to throw something over the top to protect the itnerior while the top is dow. Besides the dust, I'd like to protect the leatehr from the sun. It looks great now, btu after a few years of direct sunlight, the leather will start to crack and fade.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:59 PM
bwilder10h
1st Gear Member

I have to agree with the guy above that said a cover after even a short drive is a bad idea. Your car gets dust and road dirt from just going down the street from your house. I wouldn't touch my paint with anything after it's been driven. I won't even think about waxing after a wash if the car has left the driveway.... it would have to be washed again before I wax it... or touch the paint for that matter.