MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   illegal sequentials?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/152316-illegal-sequentials.html)

goffball5 07-15-2006 02:26 AM

illegal sequentials??

so i thought itd be cool to show some of my buddies the new sequential tail lights i got. for some reason they werent too impressed, but that doesnt matter i love them and thats all that matters. but they were goin on sayin how they are illegal and i can get fined for it and stuff. are they just really really REALLY jealous? or can i actually get pulled over. i live in PA btw

lynwood78 07-15-2006 03:48 AM

RE: illegal sequentials??

F*ck your buddies! They're full of sh!t. Go get some new friends.

cekim 07-15-2006 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: lynwood78
F*ck your buddies!
Er, don't do that... might still be illegal in various states... Not to mention akward...[&:]

Generally speaking, the ones I have seen are DOT approved, so barring over zealous state/local laws are legal...

I jokingly debated flashing lights not sequential to keep people from rear-ending me - I seem to be invisible when stopped in any color/make of car...

goffball5 07-15-2006 11:55 AM

so..are they actually illegal?

SilverR1_04 07-15-2006 12:52 PM

I wouldn't think so, but I don't live in PA.

I'd thinking your friends are just haters.

MSgt46270 07-15-2006 01:29 PM

Don't know if they are illegal, you would need to look at the laws in your state/city. The older cougers (60's or 70's) use to have them also and they were stock (correct me if wrong).

McChicken 07-15-2006 01:31 PM

I live in VA, but I have driven through PA lots of times, past lots of cops and never had a problem in either state. I think it would be wierd if they had a law specifically written for sequential turn signals, since very few cars actually have 3 tailights in a row like the Mustang does. Plus, lots of people on this forum have sequentials and I haven't seen a single "I got pulled over for sequentials post" yet. And people post that kind of stuff all the time (for tint, exhaust, etc.)

goffball5 07-15-2006 07:53 PM

o....i guess my friends=pony haters...o well....they look insanely bad @$$ thats all that matters!!

classj 07-15-2006 08:49 PM

Heres the sequential tail story as I know it from thunderbird clubs/books.

Ford, in 1964, wanted to put sequential tail lights on their new 1964 T-bird. They couldent get DOT approval in time for the 1964 model year so they put the idea on hold till 1965.

They finally recieved DOT approval for the 1965 model year and sequentials were used for the first time on the 1965 thunderbird. That was the original application before the shelby and other ford cars used them.

So to my knowledge they are perfectly legal, cool and retro as hell, as yes, many are jealous.

Ford got them DOT approved back then. Now whether chaser lights are legal, that would be up for questioning. But if a cop ever stops you for your sequentials, just site the fact that ford had them DOT approved way back in 1965 and they were used on a few hundred thousand or more cars in the mid-late 60's.

KdF 07-15-2006 09:26 PM

This is from the Texas State Inspection Laws.............Hopefuly they don`t mind the reprint for informations sake..............

read #3 especially. =0)

20.29 Turn Signal Lamps. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with electrical turn signal lamps, except that passenger cars and trucks less than 80 inches in width and manufactured or assembled prior to the model year 1960 need not be equipped with electrical turn signal lamps.

If the bed, body, cab, load, and any other equipment on a vehicle or combination of vehicles exceeds 24 inches or more to the left of the center of the top of the steering post in the same horizontal plane (that is, as high as the center of the top of the steering post) or when the distance from the center of the top of the steering post to the rear limit of the body or load exceeds 14 feet, then turn signal lamps are required, even though a hand and arm signal can be seen and the vehicle was manufactured or assembled prior to model year 1960.

NOTE: Required turn signal lamps must be visible to the front and to the rear of the vehicle.

1. Electric turn signal lamp types:

a. Single-faced units.

b. Double-faced units.

c. Arrow-faced units.

d. Kits designed to be used in conjunction with the parking light assembly.

2. Electric turn signal lamp flashers. All open-faced and arrow-type turn signal lamps must flash on and off in order to clearly indicate an intention to turn.

Turn signal lamps are required on those vehicles manufactured with a right-hand (steering wheel) drive, regardless of model year.

A single lamp (large double-faced unit) on each side of a truck-tractor, which is visible to the front and rear, will suffice for turn signal lamps.

3. Turn signal lamp mounting. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signalling, shall emit a white or amber light or any shade of light between white and amber.

The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signalling, shall emit a red or amber light or any shade of color between red and amber.

Turn signal lamps on vehicles 80 inches or more in overall width shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight.

Turn signal lamps may, but need not, be incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.

Turn signal lamps shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lamps showing to the front and rear of a vehicle. On a combination of vehicles, turn signal lamps shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lamps to that side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.

Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and mopeds are not required to be equipped with turn signal lamps.

Semaphore or mechanical arm devices are not acceptable as turn signal lamps.

4. Inspection Procedure. Check operation and condition visually.

5. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Lamps are required and not present.

b. Device is not securely mounted or properly located on the vehicle.

c. Device is not of a type meeting Department standards.

d. Lamp lens is discolored or missing.

e. Wiring insulation is worn, rubbed bare, or shows any evidence of burning, short circuiting, or poor electrical connections.

f. Switch is not convenient to driver or indicator light does not operate.

g. Signal shows any color other than white or amber to the front, or signal shows any color other than red or amber to the rear.

h. Signal does not flash or is not operating properly.

i. Signal is not clearly visible to the front and to the rear of the vehicle.

j. Lens is cracked or broken to the extent that a portion of the lens is missing and/or separated, permitting light from the bulb to emit through the crack or break.

NOTE: Selector switch must lock in proper turn position when applied but need not cancel automatically.

NOTE: Lamp lenses cannot be repaired with repair tape or repair kit.