Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Mods to Increase Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Mods to Increase Gas Mileage

ORIGINAL: Jothmano

Aluminum DS or FW only help acceleration, not that much improvement in mileage . Someone makes 9mm plugs for you. And I didn't say every exhaust, some cat-backs destroy exhaust. CAI I know for a fact increase mpg b/c their sellers guarantee it. And reflashes will help mpg if you don't change octane or do too many other drastic mods w/ or w/o your flash tuner(spark timing,Traction Control,Heads,etc).
I don't put too much faith in companies who "guarantee" their CAI will increase mileage.It's pure marketing BS if you ask me. If a customer calls them out on it, they say "sorry, here's your money back". Speaking of guarantees, I understand there are certain pills you can buy that will add 3" to your Johnson....yeah, right.

I agree that reflashes can improve mileage under certain circumstances. Years ago I had a Jet "6-pack" chip in my S-10, and the economy mode did indeed improve mileage. Enough to recoup the cost of the chip? Nope. But it did improve mileage on the economy setting (and the power sucked on that settingtoo).

The driveshaft can indeed improve your mileage the same way that a lighter car gets better mileage--you don't have to expend as much energy (gasoline) to get the thing moving. Of course, if you drive around with a lead foot then this is mitigated, but if you drive the exact same way you did w/o the driveshaft, your mileage will slightly improve. Enough to worry about? I doubt it. But so long as we're talking about fractions of an MPG then it is valid.

I am still mystified with what you are talking about with respect to plugwires. I hope you know that the S197 Mustang has no spark plug wires. It has coil-on-plug igntion. Sure on older cars a good set of plugwires could improve mileage, but that has nothing to do with this car.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Reduce weight, keep tires inflated properly
Aluminum DS, Lighter wheels, Aluminum Flywheel and Underdrive pulleys,
reduce rotational mass makes the engine work easier will use less fuel.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:57 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I get anywhere from 26 to 29 MPG with a C&L CAI and Diablo Sports Tune on the highway and 17 in the city. The least I have gotten is 24 on the highway and that is at 80mph.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torch red

Also Tire pressure is key..the harder the tire (pressure wise) less rolling resistance..

Keep Tire pressure at the Max Amount according to your tire...
This isn't necessarily the best thing to do. If your tire is running at the "maximum" air pressure, you start getting tire wear on the center of the tire, and the outsides of the tire do not get worn evenly, causing you to go through tires faster. I went through 2 sets of Yokohamas on my last car because of this...
Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes, it seems a CAI, Tune and headers and exhaust, will give better MPG, everything being equal. But is that worth it? Just those parts should cost WELL over $1000! That's over 24 16-gallon fillups!
Wile I do think it's great to use less gasoline it's not going to do any real impact! I mean what, so the Saudi Prince's son will only be able to afford the regular Bentley and not the convertible?
Better to buy a used Prius or Honda that gets 30 mpg for your work week and use the Mustang for fun drives!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:53 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I am going to throw my 2 cents in I guess. The CAI and tune is a good way if you do highway driving. I saw a decrease in mile milage because mine was mostly city and I would also get on it more because it was SO much more fun to drive. Your driving style is going to dictate how much you can actually save. Several people have mentioned changing gears. My estimate is that is almost a $500 mod and you lose alot of acceleration and some of the fun of a mustang. Like CrazyAl said, the mods are going to eat up you gas savings in a hurry so make sure you get your mod for the right reason.

Everyone is actually lying because this is the ONLY way to increase your milage!

http://tornadofuelsaver.com/272/torn...lsaver/tfs.php

Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yep.

The #1 factor affecting your mileage is how you drive....by FAR. But tire pressure is a very good thing to keep an eye on. It can affect your mileage by as much as 20%....and checking/setting it is extremely cheap (if not free).

Beyond that we get into the issue of cost vs. benefit.

It's funny becasue a couple years ago, all the Hybrids cost so much more than a similar conventional car, that there was no savings in the end! The premium you paid for the Prius or Hybrid Civic was more than you'd spend buying gas for the conventional model. I calculated it out for a friend of mine once, and we concluded that with gas at $1.90 a gallon you'd have to drive over 140,000 miles before you broke even...and that was assuming you paid cash for the car. If you bought the car with financing of some sort it would be even worse!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

The best way to increase mileage AND power is to get a dyno-tune.

The best and only way to directly increase mileage alone is to keep your foot OUT of the pedal.

Pullies, electric water pump, one-piece aluminum driveshaft, lightweight flywheel, and smaller rubber out back will all help acceleration and reduce rotating inertia though.