Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:19 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Default Decision Help Please

I just now saved up enough money to start working on my engine, and honestly I'm not sure on what to do. I'm thinking of going with a Saleen SC, plus the upgrade kit you can buy with it, but I just can't decide. So either that or just a bunch of boltons, or I might wait on the Whipple and see how that goes. Though more and likely I like the Saleen as of right now and It's specs and everything too. But I am curious on what else I can to to the engine along with the Supercharger??? Any help would be very muchly appreciated, Thanks.

- LAK3RS
Old 07-19-2006, 02:23 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Decision Help Please

Before you start spending money, decide what your goals are. Adding parts *****-nilly will just have you with parts you didn't really want... wasted money and time...
Old 07-19-2006, 02:36 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LAK3RS

I just now saved up enough money to start working on my engine, and honestly I'm not sure on what to do. I'm thinking of going with a Saleen SC, plus the upgrade kit you can buy with it, but I just can't decide. So either that or just a bunch of boltons, or I might wait on the Whipple and see how that goes. Though more and likely I like the Saleen as of right now and It's specs and everything too. But I am curious on what else I can to to the engine along with the Supercharger??? Any help would be very muchly appreciated, Thanks.

- LAK3RS
OK. First off, don't take this as me bashing vendors. They are good people. But they don't necessairly give you the best prices.
Don't know where you are supercharger shopping at. But shop around. Shop around for everything.

Having said that. If you are going to go the supercharger route, my list of "accessories" would be.
Get a 90mm Lightning MAF / MAS. You can get one from buyfordracing.com for $70. In fact, they have a sale right now on the MAF / MAS and 42lb injectors. Might as well get both from them. You can get the wiring harness for the MAS from blueoval.com for $30. southfloridapulleyhq.com has a pretty good price on Saleen pulleys. And the belt, get it from a local parts house. You can ask whoever you buy a pulley from what size belt you need and they will tell you. By shopping at those places for those parts, you will save yourself several hundred bucks. I also recommend getting a different air delivery system. Personally, I have a Steeda CAI and a C&L racer intake tube with my Saleen setup. You don't have to duplicate my setup by any means, but get something, anything other than the stock air box and tube. If you get the C&L racer tube, then get a set of hump hoses from stylinmotors.com. They are about $45 cheaper than getting them through JDM. That should do ya up to around 450hp or so. If you want to go any hgher than that, then you need to look in to fuel system upgrades. A GT Supercar fuel pump and BAP will carry you to more HP than your stock rods will handle. Beyond about 485 or so, you need to start looking in to a rotating assembley.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Well really, my goals are to get around 450-500 Area. So the SC would certainly be the way to go. It just leaves me with Saleen, or Whipple???? More in likely Saleen, but what else could I do along wit the Blower to give me a little bit more power, of course without Blowing, or tearing up the engine.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:41 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Well really, my goals are to get around 450-500 Area. So the SC would certainly be the way to go. It just leaves me with Saleen, or Whipple????
Well you could also go with Kenne Bell, Vortech, ProCharger, or any number of different turbo setups on the market.

what else could I do along wit the Blower to give me a little bit more power, of course without Blowing, or tearing up the engine.
Uh....I thought I just covered that in my previous post.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:42 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

- LAK3RS
OK. First off, don't take this as me bashing vendors. They are good people. But they don't necessairly give you the best prices.
Don't know where you are supercharger shopping at. But shop around. Shop around for everything.

Having said that. If you are going to go the supercharger route, my list of "accessories" would be.
Get a 90mm Lightning MAF / MAS. You can get one from buyfordracing.com for $70. In fact, they have a sale right now on the MAF / MAS and 42lb injectors. Might as well get both from them. You can get the wiring harness for the MAS from blueoval.com for $30. southfloridapulleyhq.com has a pretty good price on Saleen pulleys. And the belt, get it from a local parts house. You can ask whoever you buy a pulley from what size belt you need and they will tell you. By shopping at those places for those parts, you will save yourself several hundred bucks. I also recommend getting a different air delivery system. Personally, I have a Steeda CAI and a C&L racer intake tube with my Saleen setup. You don't have to duplicate my setup by any means, but get something, anything other than the stock air box and tube. If you get the C&L racer tube, then get a set of hump hoses from stylinmotors.com. They are about $45 cheaper than getting them through JDM. That should do ya up to around 450hp or so. If you want to go any hgher than that, then you need to look in to fuel system upgrades. A GT Supercar fuel pump and BAP will carry you to more HP than your stock rods will handle. Beyond about 485 or so, you need to start looking in to a rotating assembley.

Man Hawg, I don't know what I'd do without you man. You and me need to grab lunch sometime or something man. But yeah I've been looking around for quite sometime now and more and likely will be going with the Saleen setup. Of course HPP will be doing everything so we'll see whats up. Though I have saved up the money, I'm still a couple of months from purchasing everything I guess. I still want to do some more research on it, but need some steering in the right direction. Thanks

- LAK3RS
Old 07-19-2006, 02:44 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I still want to do some more research on it, but need some steering in the right direction. Thanks

- LAK3RS
Do what I suggested in my PM to you and you can't go wrong.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:44 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Okay, Thanks man. I'll do that.

- LAK3RS
Old 07-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

pssst, Hawg like Jack on the rocks...
Old 07-19-2006, 02:48 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Herknav

pssst, Hawg like Jack on the rocks...
In large quantities Speaking of, my damn drink is empty. Be right back.

Quick Reply: Decision Help Please