Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Trade-In a S2000 on a 2007 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:49 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Would You Trade-In a S2000 on a 2007 Mustang

Wow S2000 vs MGT? yes 2 different cars that really can't compare. I think the S2000 will fit in the GTs trunk.. If you want handling and road feel stick with s2000. If accelaration and maybe room - 4 seats /comfort/sound (both from quiter cruise and V8rumble) go GT. I have driven and S2000 and it's a blast, but its also buzzy, low to the ground and cramped. But it handles like it's on rails and the road feel can't be beat.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 PM
swoosh_stang

ORIGINAL: syntheticGT

I dont know whose S2000 you drove but that is just wrong. The S2000 makes usable power throughout the powerband for its weight...its true that you gotta take it up in the RPM range to have fun....but its designed for those types of tolerances.

It has a damn near perfect 50/50 weight distribution due to the motor sitting behind the front crossmember. So steering is very precise and its very easy to toss around. Perhaps you are just used to lugging around a heavy live axle car through turns.

eh
That's somewhat true, the s2k is one of the best handling cars there is. However, the new mustang GTs are anything but sluggish, and if you add 1500 bucks worth of suspension mods they are easily capable of handling with any car in the world.

I say do what you think is right, go drive a stang, most salesmen will let you play around a little with a car like that, then decide for yourself. But you have to remember you asked this question on a mustang site. If you went to a s2k site and asked, I'm sure the answers would be along the lines of "are you nuts, keep the honda".
Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 AM
syntheticGT

ORIGINAL: swoosh_stang

I dont know whose S2000 you drove but that is just wrong. The S2000 makes usable power throughout the powerband for its weight...its true that you gotta take it up in the RPM range to have fun....but its designed for those types of tolerances.

It has a damn near perfect 50/50 weight distribution due to the motor sitting behind the front crossmember. So steering is very precise and its very easy to toss around. Perhaps you are just used to lugging around a heavy live axle car through turns.

eh
That's somewhat true, the s2k is one of the best handling cars there is. However, the new mustang GTs are anything but sluggish, and if you add 1500 bucks worth of suspension mods they are easily capable of handling with any car in the world.

I say do what you think is right, go drive a stang, most salesmen will let you play around a little with a car like that, then decide for yourself. But you have to remember you asked this question on a mustang site. If you went to a s2k site and asked, I'm sure the answers would be along the lines of "are you nuts, keep the honda".

I am in no way doubting the MGT. I would take the MGT over the S2k all day. I plan on making mine into a very well handling car...whats power without handling? I just used to work for Honda and have taken my fair share of S2Ks out for a "spin."

lol
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Abiding Dude

I did actually ask this question on s2ki.com and got basically the response you would expect. They are very different kinds of cars. I am planning on test-driving a GT this weekend and see if it fits. I would lose some money on the S2000 because of depreciation, but would rather have a car I wanted than one I thought I wanted.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:11 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Ultimately it is your decision and you need to be happy with it. If you are questioning your S2000, then by all means, get your grippers on a GT and see what it does. You will enjoy the test drive. You will find that the plastic feels a lil cheep, (at least I did, but then, I also didn't care), the engine gives you wood, (well, it does me!), the doors are pretty heavy and long, it handles far better than you think, (mine has less body roll than my 02 WRX!), and you will LOVE the rumble of the 3v...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
T.M.808
1st Gear Member

I just traded in my c5 vette that i had 6 more payments on.Had vettes for 17 years,i love the new mustang is why i traded,my c5 was faster,etc,but like said above,this new platform can be made to handle very well,i just dropped my GT 2 1/2 inches and it handles really well.
Anything can be made fast,if you like it,get it.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

I did have a 00 S2000 and put a Vortech blower on it.Really a fun car.The S2000 Forum has quite a few members that drive their cars in snow.I didn't however.As far as my Mustang is concerned it is too nice to winter drive( 06 Stage 3 Roush).Get a winter beater if you can.
I agree with those who say these are two different cars you are talking about.Both are really good to own.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Test drive the stang.......and it will seduce you.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

a S2000 needs to be wound up above 6000 RPM to be in the powerband and has to be overdriven to turn well....it is not worth driving

eh
as you said, to have fun it has to be above 6000rpm...below that it is boring, as for the handleing, well, even the driving school instructor was disappointed in the car. Maybe having a bunch of 200+ pound men driving a car that was designed for a small man is not that good
Old 07-19-2006, 01:33 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Having sold cars before, and driven several S2Ks and several Mustangs (of several generations), all I can say is that it will come down to personal preference.

The Mustang has more torque, and more bottom end. It is a much heavier car, but a lot of people (including myself) prefer the rumble of a V8 over the buzz of an I4.

The S2K handles better stock, but like has already been said above, this Mustang platform can be made to handle just as well (or even better).

The Mustang, while not huge, has MUCH more interior space. I have a "friend" whose mother owns an S2K, they both go around 400lbs, and let me tell you, they look like 2 sardines in a can in the S2K. They'd be much more comfortable in a Mustang.

It is nice to rev a car up to 9 grand, but it's also nice to have peak power well before that. (YES, I know you don't have to rev an S2K to 9 grand to get to the peak power range!). Some people think VTEC is cool, but in my opinion, there is no replacement for displacement... GT all the way!

Quick Reply: Would You Trade-In a S2000 on a 2007 Mustang