Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any horror stories regarding painted stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Sean3667
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Any horror stories regarding painted stripes?

A shop near me quoted close to $3K for stripes. It would have involved taking all the clear off, down to the base color, shooting the stripes, blending the edges, and re-clearing the entire car.

The shop said they'd not do it any other way, other than possibly painting stripes directly over the factory clear, with no additional clearcoat over the stripes.

Why? Because they said simply applying two different clear coat finishes would have been a huge no-no if you want a quality job that is show-car level ... and would have been asking for long-term problems with the paint. Just shooting the stripes over the factory clear would "work," but they wouldn't guarantee the finished product's durability or long-term appearance.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:47 PM
CurtX
1st Gear Member

I never realized how expensive a stripe job can be. But good points have been brought up here. It does seem that a quality stribe job does virtually require a whole new paint job for the entire car involving base and clear coat in all. Sure there are cheaper methods. But there is reason for them being cheaper.

I was thinking about a stripe job, but I would only want it done right. So I think this thread may have dissuaded me. They certainly can be sharp looking, but really don't think 3K for a stripe is going to add that much value to my life or car. Of course, a cheap stripe would likely lower the value within years.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: freefallpat

Well I paid 1600$ CDN (Montreal).

That's like $75 US, right? J/K
Old 07-22-2006, 06:56 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I had my Vert quoted at $1800. The guy went on and on about the work involved and cost of the paint.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Shaguarama
2nd Gear Member

If you don't want to pay the money for painted stipes, you could always go for vinyl.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:41 PM
PONYRAGE
1st Gear Member

$3000 + for painted stripes is insane. I would try vinyl but my only concern is that vinyl cracking or peeling later. Anyways, unless you got the money to spend and dont know what to do with it or ran out of stuff to do to your car, then by all means do it. But I'd rather save a bit more and throw in a blower instead for that price tag!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:13 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Any shop recommendations for northern New Jersey?
I can tell you who NOT to go to. Stay away from Bergen Imports Inc in cliffside park. I have seen these guys butcher so many cars it is laughable.

As far as paint costs. We do alot of work on our own restos and some customers restorations.

PPG wholesale pricing runs somewhat as follows.

DBC basecoat pints run 50+ depending on color. If a pint will do the stripes, I would buy a quart which is almost 100. You need concept thinner which runs 30 a gallon. PPG premium clear runs close to a 80-90 a quart activated. If you are clearing the hood, roof, trunk, bumpers, etc. You are basicly clearing everything except the doors and quarters. You will need more than a quart for several nice coats. Last thing you want to do is run out, I would buy at least two quarts. A whole car would need at least a gallon. But the way I lay down paint. I figure 2 gals of clear and two gals of base for an entire resto with some leftovers.

Add in wetsanding papers, masking tapes, buffing supplies.

If I did the job on my own car figuring a quart of base and two quarts of clear with additives, couple rolls of fine line tape. I would leave the store myself with a 400+ dollar tab.

And that is still using compounds, glazes, pads, bonnets, papers, masking stuff, I already have.

I would figure at least 1000-1200 labor maybe more and 450-500 in matirials if the shop is being competitive. A high end shop that works on restos and german stuff would hit you with a 3K dollar bill.

With that said. Vinyl works for me if I stripe the car. Get tired of them, a days work takes them off. Someone buys the car, they dont like them, no problem, they can be removed.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:15 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The other thing is that on my own car, I would mask and shoot the base on the stripes. Then remove the hood, bumpers, and trunk, and clear and buff them off the car.

Pretty good and perfect in painting are thousands of dollars apart.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:25 PM
07stangGrl
2nd Gear Member

Just picked up my New 07 Mustang GT yesterday, Had hand painted stipes put on it and it looks Awsome and yes it cost a lot. I had it done at the dealership just because I knew the Manager of the dealer and had seen some of the guys work... And yes he clear coated it.. Also had new wheels and tires put on (18x10) 285-40-18 on back and (18x9) 255-45-18 on the front it looks great. Also having alight bar put on..
Old 07-22-2006, 10:48 PM
07stangGrl
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I tried to attach a Pic, BUT i am new to this and dont know how
Gonna try one

[IMG]local://upfiles/42849/F6FA99733A2A4201AF1B9F510A0218D6.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Any horror stories regarding painted stripes?