Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any horror stories regarding painted stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:47 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Any horror stories regarding painted stripes?

Yeah, I mean it's difficult to stay clear of the police as it is now. Even as a daily driver if you don't do lots of highway the 4:10's will make a big "seat of the pants" difference for little money. Lots of threads out here on gears and the rpm increase even at modest highway speeds is not bad at all with 4:10s.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:50 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

No, my questions were for classj on the flat and satin finishes. Happy to help. Classj knows all about this paint stuff too so check in anytime if you're not sure. ...Jim
Old 07-23-2006, 03:53 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

Well to flatten the paint they make flatening agents that you add to the clear or the paint. You can adjust how glossy you want the paint. They also make pre-flattened clears, flattened and flexed clears (ppg flat N flex, etc) And they also make special flattened paints just for laying down flat black or white stripes like factory 60's musclecars did.

I have seen dead flat clears. They usually arent durable though. I use them mainly used for restoration of guages and instrument clusters. SEM makes some nice interior clears under their color coat line.

As far as maintinence, I have no idea. I am guessing it would be difficult to keep them flat. With most flat paints, when you buff them with a compound/glaze they will gloss to some extent. I would say that it would more than likely be a maintinence nightmare when it came time to machine glaze the car after it was a few years old.

I read that BMW was thinking of releasing a flat silver M roadster color, for them to do that it must have some type of duribility, if it ever gets to market that is.

I was looking at a trek road bike last year that had a flat finish on the frame. Again, no idea about durability.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:57 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the help fairlane....It's much appreciated. I personally like the effect of the stripes "buried" under the clear coat, especially after a nice wax, it just looks beautiful. Flat paint just looks like vinyl to me.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:02 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Very informative, thanks!!! Will be intersting to see on the BMW M Roadster (my bro has a new Z4 in silver (gloss)) Thing is if they do it they need to be prepared to repair it; That means anyone with the skill could do it; could be interesting? I wonder if the Trek bike was powdercoated?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:07 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

I think it depends on the combo too. Sometimes flat looks nice, other times it looks cheap. Dark colors seem to fare better when in flat form.

But there is no doubt that for duribility, it is better to bury your graphics under a few nice coats of clear.

Probably wouldent be a bad idea to bury the stock clear under a few good coats of clear. I swear I have never seen clear so weak. This thing gets breathed on and it has a stone chip. Right now I am doing the whole nose bra thing but that is only a summer/fair weather solution and is still a pita.

I either have to give up I think or lay some clear film over the front of the hood and fender tips at least. I can always spray the bumper and not have to worry too much about color etc. But to spray the whole hood if chips get bad is going to be a pain.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:12 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

I wonder if the Trek bike was powdercoated?
You might be right there. I am trying to remember how they did the graphics/ pinstripes. I am pretty sure they were dull as well.

I know on the bike I have now which is glossy they are all under the clear.

Thing is if they do it they need to be prepared to repair it; That means anyone with the skill could do it; could be interesting
It looked nice in the magazines. BMW lately is designing some of their cars so only dealers can repair them. The new M5 and M6 cars with the carbon panals and bonded fenders and framerails can only be repaired at a BMW dealer that does bodywork.