Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on replacing Shaker 500

Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 AM
carolnjeff

Default Question on replacing Shaker 500

I want to replace the Shaker 500 but I have a few questions...

I only have about $600 so I can't go all out. I'm thinking about a new head unit and speakers to start with (especially with my budget). I'm mostly interested in improving sound quality but the car is a convertible so I do need volume too.

First, is this something a halfway decent shade tree mechanic can do? I'm not afraid to work on my car but I haven't done a stereo in a long time. From reading other posts, it sounds like the only hard part is getting the subs connected the right way.

Second, I was thinking about the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X590 or the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP as a head unit. Any feedback on these?

Third, how hard is it to do component speakers , something like 5 1/4" Polks? Do you have to cut up the car to put in the tweeters?

I appreciate any help you can offer.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 PM
BradGad

Default RE: Question on replacing Shaker 500

Why do you want to replace it? Just curious.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:12 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question on replacing Shaker 500

ORIGINAL: carolnjeff

First, is this something a halfway decent shade tree mechanic can do? I'm not afraid to work on my car but I haven't done a stereo in a long time. From reading other posts, it sounds like the only hard part is getting the subs connected the right way.

Second, I was thinking about the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X590 or the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP as a head unit. Any feedback on these?

Third, how hard is it to do component speakers , something like 5 1/4" Polks? Do you have to cut up the car to put in the tweeters?
If you're reasonable adept at wiring, you'll no problem replacing it with the right brackets and wiring adapter. The whole job will only take a few hours and most of it is soldering up the harness.

There's three issues I had with the factory subs:

1. When I installed mine in March, there wasn't an official harness for the Mustang that had the plug for the subs so some places were saying you couldn't use them. You want the Metra 70-5521 that's listed for the F-150. Since then they may have released an official one but I have that one in my Mustang and it works fine.

2. Putting 12v down the amp turn on wire will make them pop. It's not a problem but is annoying. The fix was to add a +5v voltage regulator into the connection. You can get one from Radio Shack for $1.29:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062599

3. The sub-amps don't appear to filter the high frequencies, so you may need to add some low pass crossovers if your head unit doesn't do it. These are the ones I used:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FJbaLs6...sp?I=069900061