Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Polished aluminum or chrome rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:22 PM
alloyguy

Default Need Advice: Polished aluminum or chrome rims?

Well, I'm going to take the plunge this weekend and order an '07 Mustang GT. After a lot of research (this site was a big help), I've pretty much decided on all the specs and options except one: I want to get the factory 18-in. Bullitts, but I can't decide between polished aluminum or chrome (the latter is available through the accessories catalog). I realize they look almost the same and that chrome will cost more, but I'm concerned about ease of maintenance. I've heard that polished aluminum, if not clear coated, takes a lot more work than chrome. Are the factory polished aluminum rims clear coated? What do you think I should get? By the way, the car will be the new alloy metallic (dark gray) color.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm a newbie and am really glad I found this great site.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Need Advice: Polished aluminum or chrome rims?

Well.. ANYTHING you can do that saves weight translates into HP that hits the ground which translates into FASTER.

For that reason I went with the Polished Aluminum, they are considerable lighter then steel (Chrome).

I've had mine a year and have had no problems with the finish on my wheels - I just wipe them down with Armor All Glass Wipes.

However.. if your into the BLING BLING - they are NOT as shiny as chrome. If your looking for BLING instead of performance, then go with the Chrome.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:19 PM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

You can also get aluminum rims that are chrome plated . I got a set of the aluminum chrome bullitts just because I did not want the hassle of polishing anymore aluminum rims ..been to that rodeo and at 43 I dont need the hassle https://mustangforums.com/albumtn.as...h160195905.jpg
Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

I haven't gotten new wheels yet, but I do plan to get the Polished alluminum in the future. I personally think they look better than the chrome. Don't get me wrong, the chrome wheels are sharp. Its just I like the "brighter" hazy type shine instead of the mirror effect of the chrome.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

Well.. ANYTHING you can do that saves weight translates into HP that hits the ground which translates into FASTER.

For that reason I went with the Polished Aluminum, they are considerable lighter then steel (Chrome).

I've had mine a year and have had no problems with the finish on my wheels - I just wipe them down with Armor All Glass Wipes.

However.. if your into the BLING BLING - they are NOT as shiny as chrome. If your looking for BLING instead of performance, then go with the Chrome.

Ford's 18" Chrome wheels are aluminium not steel. Alloyguy did say factory wheels.

You won't go wrong with either. Yours look great Professor. I was going to order them but to my regret I stayed with the standard bullitts.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:44 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Get the standard 17's and buy some aftermarket 18 inch chrome rims and tires. If you want to offset some of the cost i'm sure you could sell the stock 17's for some coin.

I'd get chrome either way, polishing aluminum is a pain for me living on a dirt road like I do.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I have the polished aluminum and I've been told here that they are clearcoated anyway, if that factors into your maintenance equation...
Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

This is PARTICULARLY true of unsprung weight such as a wheel. You should NEVER do anything to increase unsprung weight. However it is up to you. If you are willing to sacrifice some performance and efficiency go with the chrome. If you are truly serious about performance get aluminum.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:45 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The polished are clearcoated and are holding up very well so far. But I am not running them in the winter, I am pulling them off.

If the chrome wheels are not cleared, I would go with the polished.

Chrome pits eventually. It has to be waxed and polished regularly. The polished wheels are no worse than a painted wheel. As long as the clear coat holds up, it is ok.

I have had some polished ford rims in the past that were cleared, they held up really well even in the winter.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Having had both polished and chrome wheels I will never ever own another set of polished wheels they are a PITA to keep clean. However if you neglect the chrome wheels they will also look like ***. By the way the amount of weight added by chrome is minimal maybe 2-3lbs for all four wheels combined.

Richard

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Polished aluminum or chrome rims?