Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Word of warning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 05:56 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Default Word of warning!!!

Yall will probably laugh at me for being an idiot, but becareful which octane boosters you use. I was led in the wrong direction by the stupid autozone guy to use the Max 104 octane booster. I know I probably shouldn't be using them anyway, but I did and boy was it a mistake. No sooner then I got the stuff in there did it start running very squirly when over 65. It was missing and all that bad stuff. Well I put some b12 chemtool in it and that seemed to help some, but still running rough over about 65. Me and my buddies got to thinking what it could be that the booster messed up. We changed the fuel filter, which was pretty dirty, and this morning decided to pull the plugs and look at them. Sure enough they were bad dirty. It looked like carbon build up, but with a rusty color to it. Me and my buddy went to the other autozone in my town to talk to a guy that pretty much knows everything about a mustang you'd want to know. We told him what we put in it, the max 104, and he said that sulfur from it had built up on the plugs and that if the b12 chemtool didn't clear the plugs up that I would be forking 11.99 per spark plug because Ford got real creative on our plugs. I hope the chemtool works because with 8 plugs, thats gonna get real expensive. It was a stupid decision on my part to use a damn octane booster and I'm paying for it now. This is just to warn the rest of you not to do so if you were at all thinking about it.

*note I only have 9000 miles on my car. Oh, I also mentioned to him about my tuner. He said if it was an SCT that Ford will still be able to detect it if you set it back to stock and reset the battery. He said the best tuner was the DiabloSport. He said the guy that wrote the programs for our cars for DiabloSport is the same guy that worked on some the first programs that our cars use when stock. So the DiabloSport tuners have a very similar program setup thats already in the cars. The SCT only change about 5 components of the codes and they can Isolate that and know you've had a tuner.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Word of warning!!!

don't feel bad. Everyone has made mistakes.

why did you want an octane booster anyway?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Bigger explosion, Im assuming.
-P.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Going to a drag strip to run a few passes.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

DO NOT use octane booster in anything. It does not give "true" octane and as you have discovered it's notorious for fouling plugs. If you want higher octane, you have to buy fuel that is formulated with it. You can buy 104+ octane fuel at certain outlets (I run it in my turbo'd bike), but unless you've got a vehicle that is set up for that octane you're wasting your money. Unless you've got a heavily modded motor, you're not going to need higher than 93 octane in a new Mustang ever.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Yep, and boy did I find that out the hard way. I'm fairly new to cars so I'm still learning what does and does not work lol.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

There is an easy rule...

"speed costs - how fast do you wanna go"

As a correlary to that:

If it is cheap and easy and promises a lot - it doesn't work...

If it is real cheap and real easy it not only doesn't work, it will likely do some damage...

P.S. oh yeah and if Autozone or Pepboys sell it and it promises to do anything other than get your car running again, it doesn't work...
Old 07-27-2006, 08:48 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

TAGGING THIS FOR TUNER INFO.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

As pointed out about 1,713 times since I've been here, octane does you no good at all unless you tune your car to run to that octane. This also includes buying 93 octane at the pump when you have an 87 or stock tune. Remember the lesson and move on.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
lugnut
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rebelyell06

Yall will probably laugh at me for being an idiot, but becareful which octane boosters you use. I was led in the wrong direction by the stupid autozone guy to use the Max 104 octane booster. I know I probably shouldn't be using them anyway, but I did and boy was it a mistake. No sooner then I got the stuff in there did it start running very squirly when over 65. It was missing and all that bad stuff. Well I put some b12 chemtool in it and that seemed to help some, but still running rough over about 65. Me and my buddies got to thinking what it could be that the booster messed up. We changed the fuel filter, which was pretty dirty, and this morning decided to pull the plugs and look at them. Sure enough they were bad dirty. It looked like carbon build up, but with a rusty color to it. Me and my buddy went to the other autozone in my town to talk to a guy that pretty much knows everything about a mustang you'd want to know. We told him what we put in it, the max 104, and he said that sulfur from it had built up on the plugs and that if the b12 chemtool didn't clear the plugs up that I would be forking 11.99 per spark plug because Ford got real creative on our plugs. I hope the chemtool works because with 8 plugs, thats gonna get real expensive. It was a stupid decision on my part to use a damn octane booster and I'm paying for it now. This is just to warn the rest of you not to do so if you were at all thinking about it.

*note I only have 9000 miles on my car. Oh, I also mentioned to him about my tuner. He said if it was an SCT that Ford will still be able to detect it if you set it back to stock and reset the battery. He said the best tuner was the DiabloSport. He said the guy that wrote the programs for our cars for DiabloSport is the same guy that wrote of the first programs that our cars use when stock. So the DiabloSport tuners have a very similar program setup thats already in the cars. The SCT only change about 5 components of the codes and they can Isolate that and know you've had a tuner.
Why does it matter if ford knows you have a tuner they are still obligated to honor their warranty from what i
understand.

Quick Reply: Word of warning!!!