Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very happy 06 Premium GT Coupe owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Forster Bittner

Default Very happy 06 Premium GT Coupe owner

I thought I might share my experience with my car.

I picked up my car off the lot in early March, 06. I have about 4400 miles. I experienced the annoying delay when I went to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and asked Brenspeed if they could fix the problem. The only modification is a SCT-X Calibrator NJ 87 octane tune from Brenspeed. The NJ tune was special because the first 87 octane tune I got gave me a slight knock at 3/4 to WOT. I've gotten a 21 mpg average over the last 4000 miles with about a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. I haven't had any problems with the car.

No problems with the Shaker 500, that I read many complaining about, with either original, copied or MP3 CDs.

Car drives great, stable up to 100 mph, though I haven't gone faster. The only minor issue is that the tires have a flat spot vibration when cold. Steering wheel shakes a bit at about 60 mph. Once the tires warm up with a few miles of driving, the problem goes away. I'm very happy with the stock tires. Good grip in dry or wet conditions. The way I drive, the traction control (TCS) is barely noticable.

Seats are not bad, I've done five hours at a stretch, from NJ to Cape Cod and I was fine. They're not as good as Volvo seats, but few are.

Back seats are really useless for humans, but I knew that going in. I consider the car a two seater.

I really like the big side view mirrors. They give plenty of coverage.

After reading about so many problems others are having, I just thought people would like a different opinion.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 AM
KoreanGT

Default RE: Very happy 06 Premium GT Coupe owner

Thanks for the thread. I am looking into buying a GT within the next few weeks.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:38 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Picked mine up in March as well. Also have about 4400 miles. I also am getting 21-22 in 50/50 driving. Seems our only difference is that the rear seat works well for my 6YO daughter.

I do have some issues that I will address at the 5000 mile service: rear end whine between 65-75 mph, creaking front strut, center stack rattle at 1200 rpm (I'll fix that one myself when I finally get around to it). None of these issues has caused any operational problems. And thanks to these boards and others, I am aware of the rear-end TSB and I'm sure it will be fixed. Strut should also be an easy fix. My other new car was a 94 Honda Civic. Needed a new tranny within 3000 miles. So, I may have a few issues, but I keep it in perspective.

I LOVE this car. Wash it every weekend. Use a blower to dry it after it rains. Bought a bunch of billet interior parts. Just bought an XCal2 (haven't used it yet). Hang out on the forums way too often just to get more ideas or learn something new. It's like a constant project, a hobby really. With two kids and a stressful job, I need some simple pleasure. What could be more simple than a man and his car? And what better car for that than a Mustang?

Thanks for posting your postive experience with your new Stang.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:42 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

great write up and thanks for sharing. I too am
a happy '06 owner.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:55 AM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Me also!!! Nice to hear the good news once in a while...

I have no service issues so far at 3400 mi.

Data so far:

Longest stint: 8 hours one-way with no ill effects (on me or the Stang)
Highest recorded mileage: 24.3 MPG (74 MPH avg.)
Highest speed so far: 100+MPH
Oil changes: 500 and 1500 (Castrol GTX)
Number of speeding tickets: 1 (at 700 mi.)
Fun factor scale: 10+
$hit eating grins: Too many to count (condition may be permanent)

UB10
Old 07-28-2006, 03:48 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I also picked up my '06 GT in March. I've only got about 1800 miles on it. Right now I have the car in the dealership to take care of the clutch pack and fuel pump TSBs, but other than that, it's been a dream.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:09 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Iv'e had my 05 GT for a year and a month and I am very happy with the car. Just did a 12 hour road tip with it and it is very comfortable. It handles great, rides well enough to be comfortable on even very long trips and on the occasions when I take it easy it gets very good mileage. It runs 13.3 - 13.5 1/4 mile times with just a CAI and a tune. Yep these cars are a very good deal for the money.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:34 AM
05CLASSIC
2nd Gear Member

Happier every day!!! Really helps me unwind. 05GT since last May. 12,000 miles. Not a single service issue. Still looks, runs and smells like brand new, and I drive it every day. Rear seats are great for kids, my 8 year old and friends love it. I actual had 4(including myself of coarse) grown adults in the car and no complaints.

I, like many of you, truly love this car and plan on keeping it forever. Atleast til my 8y old son turns 16 and that might not even happen!?!?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:40 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05CLASSIC
Happier every day!!!
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Enjoying the car so much that I keep having to ask if I really should go through with the "enhancements" I had planned prior to purchase...

I kept looking at the new models coming out each year after 86/87- after a couple of years they grew on me (in the late 90's it was more a matter of not hating it after a while).

But then this one came out and I instantly loved it - my wife was the first one to say it out loud: "they almost got that one perfect"

For anyone shopping around reading all the whining on this board, you must understand that we whine because we love...
Old 07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
stangmomasc
2nd Gear Member

Had our GT since March also with 7000 miles as of today....LOVE it.........had a few minor issues dealt with by dealer quickly...great car...

Quick Reply: Very happy 06 Premium GT Coupe owner