Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Cockpit Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Default GT Cockpit Heat

Out last night with the family. 90's outside and bumper-to-bumper traffic in the city (Venetian night in Chicago). After driving for 30 to 40 minutes in it all, it sure seemed that the vehicle was emitting substantial cockpit heat. It felt like the heat was on in the car with no blower on. Through it all, the temperature gauge was fine. My eyes were glued to it.

After a while I finally got the idea to turn the vent air on - pointed at the floor (i.e. I blew non-refrigerated air through the floor heat ducts). This helped considerably.

So just an observation I guess. Is this common? Any other ideas for better comfort?

Sometimes I put the A/C on with the top down, but I'm not about to A/C my feet due to cockpit heat.

Also, sure seems like the gauges in my 07 are very insensitive. I like a gauge that moves so I can interpret and study the car as I drive. In the GT, the temp., amp., and oil pressure gauges seem to jump to the same spot when the car is turned on and pretty much stay there. Not much variation. Is this common?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Cockpit Heat

I'd rather the gauge stays in place then bounces around. O.o
Old 07-30-2006, 12:43 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

I also noticed this heat, i can feel it coming up through the cup holders as well where my arm rests.

ORIGINAL: mail906

Out last night with the family. 90's outside and bumper-to-bumper traffic in the city (Venetian night in Chicago). After driving for 30 to 40 minutes in it all, it sure seemed that the vehicle was emitting substantial cockpit heat. It felt like the heat was on in the car with no blower on. Through it all, the temperature gauge was fine. My eyes were glued to it.

After a while I finally got the idea to turn the vent air on - pointed at the floor (i.e. I blew non-refrigerated air through the floor heat ducts). This helped considerably.

So just an observation I guess. Is this common? Any other ideas for better comfort?

Sometimes I put the A/C on with the top down, but I'm not about to A/C my feet due to cockpit heat.

Also, sure seems like the gauges in my 07 are very insensitive. I like a gauge that moves so I can interpret and study the car as I drive. In the GT, the temp., amp., and oil pressure gauges seem to jump to the same spot when the car is turned on and pretty much stay there. Not much variation. Is this common?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

I agree. Running around when it's 100+ outside, it seems a lot of heat comes up through the floor boards. More on the passenger side.
At that temp I have the A/C full on but, if I were you I would turn on A/C and have it blow at your feet, even top down. It will make you feel cooler!

Try this test! When you have been out for a normal drive and stop the car, immediately run to the back and touch the tips of the exhaust! Careful, it will be VERY hot! Imagine how much hotter those pipes are up by the firewall!!!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like the floorboard needs some thermal insulation.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I can feel the heat come through the corner of the window (when down) where the door mirror is when it's really hot outside. Normal...
Old 07-30-2006, 01:10 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I have noticed heat coming up through the emergency brake handle area. it seems there is an open area under there that is allowing transmission or exhaust heat to come up. I havent noticed it to the point of discomfort or causing me to turn on the air.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

From what I have seen, it is indeed common that the gauges approximate George Carlin's description of "real" car coors - "Fu@cking open or Fu@cking closed!"...

I have been driving around in 90+ heat the last 2 weeks and have not noticed anything significant, but then I have been doing it in the day with lots of sunscreen - I might not have noticed it compared to the sun...

I will say that compared to the prior body structure, they have basically dropped "body" down around all the moving/hot parts...

You used to see the rear-end,k-member and exaust pipes stcking out from underneath if you looked at a fox-body stright-on...

This car wraps around all of those parts which means the heat is going to get trapped...

There are already some heat sheilds, but they do not cover all the parts...