Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Suggestion

Old 07-30-2006, 02:38 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Default Gas Suggestion

I am not sure if it is on the 2005 and 2006 model, but on my 2007 on the OEM gas cap it says, "ford recommends BP" and has the BP gas symbal on the cap.

You ever wonder how much BP pays ford to do this? Quick little advertising payment for ford, i should have negitioated that off the price of my car. LOL
Old 07-30-2006, 03:20 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Suggestion

ORIGINAL: siggy14
I am not sure if it is on the 2005 and 2006 model, but on my 2007 on the OEM gas cap it says, "ford recommends BP" and has the BP gas symbal on the cap.
You ever wonder how much BP pays ford to do this? Quick little advertising payment for ford, i should have negitioated that off the price of my car. LOL
They are there on the '06 as well...

I presumed it was some cross-pollination of boards and/or stock ownership... But did not look into it... That would be an admission that I noticed it and changed my behavior because of it
Old 07-30-2006, 04:39 PM
RabidCharlie
1st Gear Member

Ford will probably try and use that against people for warranty issues if they prove you didn't use BP Gas!!! LOL!

ORIGINAL: siggy14

Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 PM
GT JIM
1st Gear Member

On March 6, 2000, BP Amoco announced it is offering lower sulfur gasolines at metropolitan Detroit BP and Amoco stations. The availability of the newly formulated fuels means that area vehicle exhaust emissions will be reduced by about seven and a half tons per month, or more than 176,000 pounds per year.
In conjunction with that announcement, Ford Motor Company announced BP Amoco's cleaner fuels would be used as the factory fill for premium-gasoline-fueled Ford Motor Company vehicles that roll off assembly lines in markets where the low sulfur fuel is made available. Ford Motor Company will expand its factory fill commitment into more of its assembly plants as BP Amoco continues to roll out the fuels across all grades in other markets and expects to have the majority of its assembly plants converted to the reformulated fuels within the next two years.
The partnering of BP Amoco with Ford Motor Company to introduce cleaner fuels to the Detroit market emphasizes the commitment of both companies to offer consumers cleaner products that benefit the environment well ahead of regulatory timetables.
BP Amoco spent more than $100 million modifying its refining and associated operations to make its cleaner fuels available in cities that are most troubled by smog and pollution, including 40 key cities worldwide by 2001. Among the other cities currently participating in the cleaner fuels initiative are London, Paris, Warsaw, Atlanta, and Chicago. Detroit was chosen because additional pollution control measures such as cleaner fuels will help the area meet its air quality goals.
Ford Motor Company announced its own efforts. In 1998,it was determined that all sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and Windstar minivans, sold in the U.S. and Canada, starting with the 1999 model year, would meet the federal government's stringent criteria for qualifying as LEV. This industry first was followed by the major announcement in 1999 that all F-Series pickup trucks would be LEV, starting in the 2000 model year. The combined effect from Ford Motor Company's early-adoption actions so far is equivalent to eliminating the smog-forming emissions from 350,000 full-size pickups on the road today. On an ongoing basis, the company's current actions will result in 4,250 tons less of smog-forming pollutants being released annually into the atmosphere.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 PM
boss377

Good post GT JIM. There's a Mobil 1 decal under every Porsche engine lid, and Tiger Woods likes Buicks.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:11 PM
GT JIM
1st Gear Member

Its all about money! I am sure BP pays Ford a pretty penny to use their gas!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:01 AM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

For those of you who don't watch racing other than nascar.

Ford Focus WRC rally car
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/01/focuswrc06_02.jpg

The Focus is running 2nd this WRC season, though as usual, Sebastian Loeb is running 1st in the Citroen Xsara WRC.

BP is to ford as what Shell is to Ferrari's current F1 racer.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Yes - it's a commercial in which BP paid Ford for FREE advertising on your car with the full knowledge that most will wrongly assume that BP is the only gas for your car. Castrol does it with BMW in that BMW recommends (it's also on the oil fill cap) Castrol oils. It's a shame that, other than German Castrol, Castrol so-labelled synthetic oils are not really synthetic but run-of-the-mill conventional oils. Shame - who would have thought that car companies could successfully prey on the ignorance of their customers?