Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump TSB and throttle lag

Old 08-01-2006, 05:51 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Fuel pump TSB and throttle lag

(Mods - sorry for the double post. I meant to post it hear instead of the "drivetrain" section).

Okay, I'm a bit confused as to whether I need the fuel pump TSB (06-9-9) done. I feel like my auto GT has always had throttle lag, but it doesn't spputter or balk. I've read that throttle lag is due to the factory "drive-by-wire" computer tune and that a retune helps. Now, However, I hear poeple saying that the fuel pump TSB helped with the throttle lag. So now I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump is the problem, not the tune.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:52 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel pump TSB and throttle lag

Well, I just had that TSB on my car this weekend, picked up my car yesterday and I do feel a difference. It still takes a while for the car to "wind up" due to the throttle lag, but I have noticed that the car feels substantially stronger while accelerating. It feels like there is more pushing it. I firmly believe this is because of the new fuel pump, It is a bigger and upgraded pump which in turn can push more fuel through to the engine which increases performance. Some people might tell you I'm imagining all this but there is a huge difference in the way this thing accelerates and responds. I think it worked well for my car and the only thing they do to tell you if you need this TSB done is hook your car up to the OBD scanner and pull codes from the pump intself, no driving is required for them to figure it out.

I can even here the new pump wind up, with the car under hard accelerating, It actually sounds pretty cool, to me if I can here It I know its crankin some fuel out. The guy told me it's pushing about 150 litres per hour, and the old stock one was only doin 110lph. Who knows if that's true or not, but I can feel a noticable difference in the way my car runs and that's all that matters to me.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

Well, I just had that TSB on my car this weekend, picked up my car yesterday and I do feel a difference. It still takes a while for the car to "wind up" due to the throttle lag, but I have noticed that the car feels substantially stronger while accelerating. It feels like there is more pushing it. I firmly believe this is because of the new fuel pump, It is a bigger and upgraded pump which in turn can push more fuel through to the engine which increases performance. Some people might tell you I'm imagining all this but there is a huge difference in the way this thing accelerates and responds. I think it worked well for my car and the only thing they do to tell you if you need this TSB done is hook your car up to the OBD scanner and pull codes from the pump intself, no driving is required for them to figure it out.

I can even here the new pump wind up, with the car under hard accelerating, It actually sounds pretty cool, to me if I can here It I know its crankin some fuel out. The guy told me it's pushing about 150 litres per hour, and the old stock one was only doin 110lph. Who knows if that's true or not, but I can feel a noticable difference in the way my car runs and that's all that matters to me.
+1 to BackinBlack06's reply. I feel much better fuel response with the new fuel pump. I still have throttle lag (step on it wait 2 seconds - GO) and sometimes with the AC on and really hot and humid temps outside it kind of falls on its face if I gun it....but all in all the overall performance of the car is 100% better.

Only problem is if you don't have the buck buck buck problem (like I had every single day) I don't think FORD won't want to put a new pump on your car. Total out the door for the warranty charge was $487.00.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:44 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

The guy told me it's pushing about 150 litres per hour, and the old stock one was only doin 110lph. Who knows if that's true or not, but I can feel a noticable difference in the way my car runs and that's all that matters to me.
Wonder if the fuel pump is whimpy on purpose? To limit the cars power and give it a better gas mileage rating? Just a thought.

WOW wouldn't it be awesome to have a even MORE powerful fuel pump than the estimated 150 liters per hour? Woo hoo! Hows that for a mod?!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:44 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

The pump can push all it wants to, but you only get the amount of fuel to the injectors that the Computer decides is needed. Tuning is the remedy.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

The pump can push all it wants to, but you only get the amount of fuel to the injectors that the Computer decides is needed. Tuning is the remedy.
Aha! Thanks for straightening that out for me!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:55 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Ok I'm about to take mine in for this tsb. How long do I need to keep my battery unhooked to clear my computers history of me taking my tune off and setting it back to stock?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

if you need this TSB done is hook your car up to the OBD scanner and pull codes from the pump intself, no driving is required for them to figure it out.
So, can an XCal2 find these codes? Do we know what they are?

So, has anyone who DIDN'T have balking or hesitation but felt that throttle lag was annoying found out they needed the TSB?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:10 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm.. I'm waiting now for the TSB part to arrive at my dealership/service center.... That "placebo" induced feeling of smoother accelerations seems to have gone into a different bracket of experience with that "huge" statement.... Now my hopes are getting up for a slight performance increase when all I really want is the confidence that my car won't stall after accelerating into an intersection..... hehe.... performance increase.... lag... well... waaaahhh... let it lag a moment... then watch her go!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

I agree with that 100% but my point is when you romp on it the computer immediately requests more fuel. If that old pump didnt push as much it wouldnt get there as fast or as hard so it would be a little slower. The new pump can keep up with the all of a sudden demand therefore increasuing performance and delivery time. I'm in no arguiing that this car isn't tuned for the stock pump, but maybe they were getting away with what they could.

My though process is........you kink your hose, it builds up pressure, you un-kink it and you get a burst of water than it dies down to normal preasure. So if you have the same hose but with more pressure when you kink it and un-kink it the pressure never drops it stays constant. This is the same way I'm thinking this new fuel pump works. At least that's how it feels like it's working, there's always a constant supply with no drop what so ever. I can even here the fuel pum wind up while accelerating.

To me this is the best fix they've come out with yet, I'm so glad I got it done instead of just "living with it"

Richmod.. I'm not sure of the code but you I'm sure if you searched you could find it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pump TSB and throttle lag