Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the X-Plan Negotiable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Abiding Dude

Default Is the X-Plan Negotiable?

I went to the dealer over the weekend and got X-Plan pricing on a 2007 Mustang GT. I noticed that there was a 420 dollar FDAF Asessment fee and that the X-Plan pricing was about 400 dollars over the invoice price as reflected at Edmunds. Also, after doing some research, I see that the dealer gets a kick-back of 25 percent (roughly 100 dollars) on the FDAF fee.

So the dealer is getting hold-back on the new car and getting a kick-back on the advertising fee. Edmunds shows that Ford gets a 3 percent of MSRP as hold back. So for the car I was thinking of ordering, they would be getting back about 800 plus 100 kick back from the FDAF.

So that's roughly 900 dollars profit for an ordered, guaranteed sale. Can I negotiate the total downwards and if so, by how much?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Is the X-Plan Negotiable?

The dealer has every right to make money. They don't have to order the car for you at all. Nor do they have to participate in x-plan. With that said, I did not pay a advertising fee at Mullinax ford in New Smyrna beach, FL. I paid the xplan price as shows on ford direct plus tax, tag, title. See if you can find a dealer that doesn't charge this fee.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

The X-plan price is NOT Negotiable it is a set price by Ford and should be approx. $400 less then the invoice price.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

What's the X-plan again?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Abiding Dude

The X-plan price is NOT Negotiable it is a set price by Ford and should be approx. $400 less then the invoice price.
But with the advertising (FDAF) fee of 420 dollars the actual offer is about 400 dollars over invoice. I guess what I'm asking is: is the FDAF fee negotiable?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I would have to say that any fee is negotiable.

ORIGINAL: Abiding Dude

But with the advertising (FDAF) fee of 420 dollars the actual offer is about 400 dollars over invoice. I guess what I'm asking is: is the FDAF fee negotiable?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Go Blue 48044
3rd Gear Member

Ford Dealers have no choice but to particapate in x plan.The only time they don't have to honor employe, friends,family discount is when there is an over demand for the auto IE the GT500 and when the 05 Mustang first launched .They will flat out lose their x plan privlages by denying someone.Any dealer that tells you any differant is flat out lying.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Go Blue 48044

Ford Dealers have no choice but to particapate in x plan.
Actually that is "not" correct. No dealer has to particapate in X-plan it is completely up to the dealer if, when, and on what vehicles they honor X-plan on.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 PM
astroGT
1st Gear Member

Normally you wouldn't be able to negotiate the X-plan. However, if you know the main guy, he'll cut you a deal. Or better, if you marry the owner, they'll probably even give you the car for free.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Trapeze
1st Gear Member

I heard the FDAF is the advertising fee FoMoCo charges the dealer, based on their location/region, for the ads you see on TV, etc. I also heard it's pretty much non-negotiable since it is not a dealer charge, but Ford itself. However, I'm sure if you know someone who knows someone, maybe they'll drop it for you.

Also, X-Plan does not have to be accepted at all, it clearly states that on the ford website which explains X-Plan. It is up to the dealer if they accept it, but there are enough out there willing to take X-Plan, you would be a fool to deal with one that didn't.

Quick Reply: Is the X-Plan Negotiable?