Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two questions about some cosmetic work

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:33 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Default Two questions about some cosmetic work

1. The vinyl black out covers for headlights (like the ones for sale by Stangmods.com) are they illegal in some States that anyone knows of? Do they have a major impact on how well your headlights work in terms of dimming them too much? I only ask because my common-sense-o-meter is telling me they have to and yet, I'm hopeful some new technology akin to a two way mirror is at work here that will allow my headlights to work full blown as normal but allow me to personalize my Silver GT with the blackout look.

2. Does anyone know of any shop that will make a custom badge to replace the GT/pony badge that comes on the back of the new model Mustangs? Specifically I want to get a nice looking replacement for the black disc in the center (get something different than the GT or pony) but I'm willing to buy the entire badge if that's what it takes. I looked at Autobadges but they don't do the rear badge, just the side emblems and such.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
NewRoushPonyOwner
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Two questions about some cosmetic work

The only questions of yours I can answer is where you can find the faux gas cap badges personalized. As far as I know, no one sells them except for roush's stage 1, or stage 2 badges they sell on their site which are over $80! However, I have heard a few stories of people on this forum successfully modifying their own with stickers and some minor work like one guy had a sweet peace sign. I forgot what post though, maybe try searching for it.
I hope this helped a bit. Have fun with personalizing your silver stang!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:04 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

I know my buddy has to take his black outs off of his truck at night because he can hardly see his lights coming through them. As far as being illegal, I'm not sure. I just think it would be to big of a heart ache to take them on and off each night because the first time your hand slipped and it ripped one of the tabs off, there goes money down the drain.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

thx rebel yell, that's exactly what I needed to know. the things don't let light through so it's a no brainer. they stick on with clear 3M adhesive so I doubt you could take em off and reapply them over and over like that even if you wanted to go through the bother.

And roush, thanks, good info. I saw that peace sign on someone's car, wish I could find him and ask him how he did it. So that simple on the back is a sticker that can be peeled or scraped off? I didn't realize and can't look at mine due to still being overseas for another 7 weeks. Thanks, I'll keep looking. Definitely don't want to put a roush stage badge or Shelby cobra badge on a car that isn't either :P

Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lukoi66

thx rebel yell, that's exactly what I needed to know. the things don't let light through so it's a no brainer. they stick on with clear 3M adhesive so I doubt you could take em off and reapply them over and over like that even if you wanted to go through the bother.

And roush, thanks, good info. I saw that peace sign on someone's car, wish I could find him and ask him how he did it. So that simple on the back is a sticker that can be peeled or scraped off? I didn't realize and can't look at mine due to still being overseas for another 7 weeks. Thanks, I'll keep looking. Definitely don't want to put a roush stage badge or Shelby cobra badge on a car that isn't either :P

Not sure what you mean by this. The gas cap emblem is not a sticker. I have seen stickers on Ebay that are round and fit over tha center part that says "GT". There are various ones on there.

You could probably get someone who does vinyl graphics to make you a custom one also.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:50 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

yea I was asking (there's a typo in that sentence or two) up there if he was saying the symbol in the center of the badge was a sticker. I seem to remember it being hard plastic or something, but can't look to be sure.

vinyl graphics...good idea, thanks BW
Old 08-02-2006, 02:14 PM
JDBullitt
2nd Gear Member

I had head light covers on my '94 mustang , and I couldn't get it inspected until I pulled them off. This is in N.C.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:49 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

www.makingitdigital.net
this gentleman's name is Don.He makes graphics for the peice you want.About $25.00 if you buy from the selection he has.He can also be found on E Bay.Very good work.IMO this answers the second part of your question.I ordered one from him for my Roush