Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel leak almost causes disaster !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:50 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel leak almost causes disaster !!!

That's scary! I'm waiting for a call, hopefully any day now, to notify me that my fuel pump part is in for the TSB. I sure hope my techs get that ring and everything else on right when they do the job!

This was obviously a poor (very poor!) oversight on your techs' behalf, but a mistake none the less and not another sign that your car is falling apart. Since there was no real damage done, realistically a good venting is about all that can be done about it... and I would vent too. I've personally experienced no other real issues with my car outside this one TSB, so maybe your issues are all resolved now and it will be much smoother sailing for you and your 'stang.

BTW.... I'm not getting my fuel pump module replaced just because some guy posted a TSB about it either. I actually do have this issue and it's happened no less than 4 times inside about a 4 week period, once causing me to stall in an intersection. Now that's messing with someone's life. And as one of those guys who's posted about this TSB, I never intended to imply that folks just just go in and get it done without actually experiencing the problem. And it is a problem for some '05 - '06 Mustangs.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

Old Engineers Saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 08-03-2006, 12:01 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

this car is always in the shop and something is always not working properly or is recalled.
I don't know of a single recall on our cars. So what exactly have you had recalled? If you can post scans of the recall letters. I would be interested.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:07 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Good thing your car didnt blow up Id say just get them to fix it and apologize alot.. maybe throw in a spankin new pine scented air freshner and call it even.

Nah seriously though, that was a dangerous situation but ya gotta realize everyone is human and we all make mistakes. As long as they realize theyre the ones that screwed up and they know what they did then thats all that can be done about, aside from fixing your car. Its not like they can go back in time and make it not happen (dont we wish we had that ability). But yeah, I understand the venting thing, heh... definately felt like that at one point or another. And just cause of some down time on the car doesnt mean ya need to sell it ... Dont deny it.. you know everytime you get in that car, it is well worth waiting for!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Wow man...

You ARE Lucky!

When I was younger, I had a friend with a VW and we were cruising around… We smelled something burning so we pulled over on the side of the road. We then spent the next 20 minutes watching it burn to the ground!... total bummer of a feeling!

I am so glad your car didn't go up! And that you’re OK.

I had a Olds Tropheo', of which the dealer "gave" me a free undercoat in the deal. During the process of installing the undercoat the installer somehow smacked the fuel line above the rear axel - that fractured fuel line - with the fuel pump in the tank so the line was pressurized. It sprayed fuel all over the back of the axle tunnel, which in turn leaked through the access panel and soaked the back seat. I got a new interior (they had to replace everything to get rid of the Gas smell!), they replaced the entire fuel line and re-undercoated the entire car. They gave me a caddie to drive while they were working on my car!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Damn, I just read the post and you got lucky big time!
But please bear in mind that mechanics are people like you and me, they can make mistakes, and they are certainly not out to kill you.

I hope your car troubles will be over soon, no new car should spend time in the shop for that many repairs…
Old 08-03-2006, 02:38 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

That would have been one hot mustang.......It sucks that some people just can't pay attention and do the job right.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Ah, sounds very familiar. When I bought my 96 Bronco (used, in March), first thing I did was stop at the gas station on the way home. First I noticed how slowly it was making the pump run, then after about 15 minutes of VERY slowly pumping gas, I hear something splashing. I look down and fuel is literally RUNNING out of the gas tank. It looked like a waterfall, honestly. It dumped out probably a good 3 - 4 gallons of fuel all over the ground at the gas station. Thankfully my parents were with me, and they rode behind me in their car on the way home. They said every time I came to a stop, fuel would slosh out onto the ground. Next day (this was late at night when it happened), I called the dealership. They told me they had just had a new fuel pump installed, and that I needed to bring it back because it sounded like the seal wasn't seated. I said there was no way in hell I was driving it back there, it was over an hour away, and I didn't really feel like dying. So I took it to my local shop, had them fix it, and the dealership pay for. But it was scary as hell driving home that night, so I know how you felt at least. I hope you get everything taken care of!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

It would be impossible for an original 1965 Mustang to meet today's stringent safety requirements. Yet somehow, most of us survived those fiendishly unsafe pony car automobiles and are here reporting to you that all is not as bad as it seems. The S197 will also prove to be a sturdy piece, despite TSBs and recalls. The fact that a dealer mechanic can't put your fuel line in place correctly is certainly not a reflection on the integrity of the design.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Hey, thanks guys for all your replies and understandingness. I was very heated last night and probably wasn't thinking clearly ...but I just got back from my dealer, and the tech admitted that the pump didnt seat right but he thought it was good enoungh and wouldnt cause a problem.....At that point I was just dumbounded I couldnt even think of anything to say to that. The service manager and the General Manager of the dealership had plenty to say to him though. I think they were even more upset than I was at that point. I know everyone makes mistakes and we're all human, but to admit that it didnt seat correctly because something was bent or installed wrong is no way JUST a mistake, especially one that is going to cause him some serious problems. I'm not sure what course of action they are going to take but they banned him from ever even looking at my car at least. I feel bad for him but when you know something is wrong, especially something that can cause a potentially fatal problem to me or my passengers that is just unforgivable. They told him that I could have been killed in and he just looked and said, "I did what I could, and I thought it was fine." BTW... I did have that stall problem, that's why I got it done in the first place.

I am now waiting again for another fuel pump to come in, hopefully this one will fit, but they told me when I come in tomorow they will make it up to me in a big way. That probably means something dumb like a free oil changes or something. I'm shooting for a supercharger lol (I wish).

I was so over my car and didn't want anything to do with it anymore, but than I saw her sitting there and I was like......ughhhhhhhhhhh my baby, and fell in love all over again. I think there is some kind of subliminal messages these things send out to make you fall in love over and over again everytime you see it. So most likely she's not gona be traded in, but I tell you what they had some real nice California Editions out there, so who knows. Tomorow is another day.

Thanks for listening to my rants, I didnt know who else to tell that would understand my pain lol.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak almost causes disaster !!!