Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does ECM Tuning Void the Car's Warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:51 AM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Does ECM Tuning Void the Car's Warrenty

Cars don't live forever...f**k them! Why go though life worrying about warranties? ohh by the way f**k dodge!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:32 AM
FlaSVT

ohh by the way f**k dodge!
+1
Old 08-04-2006, 08:41 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

-1... the promising challenger rocks imho...
Old 08-04-2006, 11:01 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

How many people have had problem arise from running a 91+ octane tune? I would imagine that as long as you're not a moron and take car of the car it will still be just as reliable as a stock tune.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:30 AM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

i always flash the computer back to stock and swap in the stock air box b/f taking it in to the dealer for an oil change or other service (TSB stuff).

can the dealer tell somebody accessed the computer on such a such date? i have no idea, but probably. some say yes, some say no. a service guy at my local dealership lives down the street. next time i see him i'll ask him and hopefully get a straight, informed answer.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

How many people have had problem arise from running a 91+ octane tune? I would imagine that as long as you're not a moron and take car of the car it will still be just as reliable as a stock tune.
i've been running 93 octane tunes for over a year with zero issues, no failsafe modes, no check engine codes and no issues of any kind.

i race the car at the track about 2 to 3x a year, and generally go WOT once a week.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05SonicBlue
can the dealer tell somebody accessed the computer on such a such date? i have no idea, but probably. some say yes, some say no. a service guy at my local dealership lives down the street. next time i see him i'll ask him and hopefully get a straight, informed answer.
I would really like to know the answer to that. I just bought an XCal2 but am hesitant to use it until I know for sure how to clear any evidence that I have.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:25 PM
frzn pony
1st Gear Member

Dodge has always had a"DTC" counter. Ever time you turn the key to "on" it logs 1 start all the way to 255.Then it stops. SO>>>>lets say you blew your engine up,you remove the "aftermaket tune" and return it to "factory",tow it to the dealer. Well lets see now......you started the car just before ya blew it up..thats 1,ya turned the key to push the car to a "safe area"...thats 2,the tow truck driver turned the key to steer it up or on the truck....thats 3.The tow truck driver turned the key to get it off the truck and push it into a parking spot....thats 4.Me and my fellow co-workers turn the key to push it in the shop on to a hoist.......thats 5,I plug in the scan tool and turn the key...thats 6....I go to the DTC screen and start looking.I should find some kind of mis-fire fault because I'm sure after it blew up you tried to start it or a "cam and crank out of sync" code.But lets say you saved some bucks and put it on your friends trailor and towed it to the dealer....wheres the tow bill????only 3 starts????No store data in the misfire screen????When ever a DTC is set it tales a "snap shot of what was going on and there is no snap shot!!!BUSTED....Call the manufacture...they send someone out from engineering,most times in 24 hrs bcause they keep these peaple close in each zone....its their job,they come in with the high tech computor to acess every inch of the ECM,download it and take it back and look it over,BUSTED

I recently had a 2003 Mini van just blow off the air bags for no reason.The "boys got there in 12 of me calling them because I had no damage to warrant this deployment.The Air Bag computor on most vehicles over the last 3-5 yrs also acts as a "flight recorder" ( peaple like to sue big companys for free money)SO the boys plug in a down load all the "hidden data" that I'm not aloud access to into a lap top and start looking.....it shows that the Air Bag controll module went wacko and blew off the air bags for no reason.Chrysler steped up and offered this owner just about anything and a very big "I'm Sorry".NO one got hurt and the guy was very realistic.All the air bags got replaced according to Manufactures spec. and the van was accepted back buy the customer.I can tell ya this.....when this guy wants a new Chrysler Mini-van.....I bet with one phone call he caould get one for free.

I wish I could say that about my warranty visits with my 2005 GT

The dealer I spoke with did not have a problem with the cold air kits,Kinda "balked" at the underdrive pulley's but didnt say no,changing the mufflers...not a problem,changing wheels and tire..only if the tire is the same size as OEM.Body kits.....and after market body add ons...depends.....the safe bet......CAI,Mufflers,Wheels and Tires,Window tint,body stuff as long as it dosnt mess with the factory paint.If ya want to build a go fast Stang.....find one used and out of warranty.or in stall factory add ons and have it done by the dealer.....then if it fails the manufacturer will stand behaind the warrenty.....Dodge does!!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Counting mine. I got complete permission to have my C/L CAI/Brenspeed tune. I'm still running after 30 thousand miles.
ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

I think it depends on the dealer......some of them are cool with tuners and some are not.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:46 PM
05MGT

ORIGINAL: Derf00

It can be implied that by retuning hte motor to get more performance out of it, you were intending ot drive it harder than what would be considered 'normal' They could say it voided your warranty. That's one you'd have to fight it out with the dealer/ford on.

Yep. I used to have a 2003 Civic. The clutch started slipping at 30,000 miles. I took it in and they replaced it, but 3,000 miles later it started doing it again! They told me to stop racing it, I told them to install it correctly. After a bit of arguing, they installed a new clutch again and on the reciept they gave me it said "customer has been notified that racing/driving hard will wear the clutch out and that they will not honor anymore clutch or tranny warranties." Bastards.

Quick Reply: Does ECM Tuning Void the Car's Warrenty