Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Products

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:29 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Products

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Again, like I said earlier, its JMO, which to some means nothing but to me it means EVERYTHING. Like I said before, I wouldnt be caught dead in a Mustang that looks like a Honda, but if you or anyone else want to then thats your business, I just dont understand why if youre going to make a Mustang look like a riced out 1500 lb car, why not just start with a riced out 1500 lb car instead of deforming something like a Mustang? And exactly how would moving a battery to the trunk ADD weight? And Im sorry to say but if people with built engines like Mark dont need high speed spoilers I highly doubt this guy will. And to reiterate this, a fixed spoiler isnt going to give you the performance you would want if you were doing high speed racing anyways, you would need an adjustable wing, of which there are currently none for our cars, so if you really want to do high speed rally or track racing with our cars youll have to get one made custom, and I GUARENTEE you it will not be made of carbon fiber.
Relocating the battery adds weight because you have to run a heavy gauge copper wire the entire length of the car, the battery box, and the cutoff switch are all adding weight.

Needing a spoiler all depends on what type of high-speed driving, something like say the Silverstate Challenge or if someone wants to compete on the salt flats and others would necessitate a rear spoiler. You would be surprised what could be made out of carbon fiber to make a truly functional wing, granted it won't be 100% CF but it can comprise a large portion of it. So I say educate your self some more about cars before trying to rag on someone and calling people names showing how truly immature you are.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

Again, like I said earlier, its JMO, which to some means nothing but to me it means EVERYTHING. Like I said before, I wouldnt be caught dead in a Mustang that looks like a Honda, but if you or anyone else want to then thats your business, I just dont understand why if youre going to make a Mustang look like a riced out 1500 lb car, why not just start with a riced out 1500 lb car instead of deforming something like a Mustang? And exactly how would moving a battery to the trunk ADD weight? And Im sorry to say but if people with built engines like Mark dont need high speed spoilers I highly doubt this guy will. And to reiterate this, a fixed spoiler isnt going to give you the performance you would want if you were doing high speed racing anyways, you would need an adjustable wing, of which there are currently none for our cars, so if you really want to do high speed rally or track racing with our cars youll have to get one made custom, and I GUARENTEE you it will not be made of carbon fiber.
Relocating the battery adds weight because you have to run a heavy gauge copper wire the entire length of the car, the battery box, and the cutoff switch are all adding weight.

Needing a spoiler all depends on what type of high-speed driving, something like say the Silverstate Challenge or if someone wants to compete on the salt flats and others would necessitate a rear spoiler. You would be surprised what could be made out of carbon fiber to make a truly functional wing, granted it won't be 100% CF but it can comprise a large portion of it. So I say educate your self some more about cars before trying to rag on someone and calling people names showing how truly immature you are.
Here again, were nitpicking over a couple lbs.. I wonder if you guys honestly think that a few lbs is going to save you that much time..

And as far as a wing goes, I said certain types of racing would need it, did you miss that part? And again, a spoiler weighs all of 10 lbs, a custom wing isnt going to be made out of carbon fiber.. do you know how hard it is to make custom carbon fiber pieces? Lets just leave it at: difficult. A fabricater isnt going to sit there and hand make a spoiler of CF when one made of aluminum would be stronger, almost as light, and much easier to make, because it wouldnt have to be molded by hand. Unless you are extremely picky and request one of CF, and even then youll be paying out the *** for the ALREADY expensive as hell custom adjustable wing. And for what... to save 5 lbs?

Dont get me wrong, carbon fiber has its palce in racing and it has its situations where it is freakin awesome and nothing else could serve the purpose better.
HOWEVER, using it on a street car (and by street I mean a car that wont be doing any real racing), or a car that doesnt need EXTENSIVE (and by extensive I mean you have stripped everything else down in the car to only what is absolutely necessary) weight reduction.... is rice.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:06 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Carbon Fiber trunk: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEIBO...QQcmdZViewItem

Carbon Fiber hood: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...ayphotohosting
Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

"This hood weighs in at nearly half what your factory hood weighs for better times at the track."

Nearly half of the 15 lbs of the stock aluminum one [8D]

Old 08-10-2006, 09:21 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

"This hood weighs in at nearly half what your factory hood weighs for better times at the track."

Nearly half of the 15 lbs of the stock aluminum one [8D]
Again not everyone has an aluminum hood from the factory.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Then exactly who doesnt have an aluminum one? You said 06+ ... mine is an 06... Ive heard that late make 06's were the ones that got the steel hoods (but that was proven wrong and just a myth)... mine is 1 month from the last month of production.. if I got one, Im pretty sure everyone else did too.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:31 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

bl1nkage, in referring to the spoiler, c/f is far stronger than aluminum. Now, the clear coat those most manufacturers put over it tends to crack and/or discolor after a while. However, IMO, c/f adds a lot to certain cars. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Mustang is one of them (just from the pics I've seen of 'stangs with c/f hoods on them). But you'd probably be surprised by the weight you'd save if you switched some of the body panels with c/f. And everyone does have their opinion, but they way you tore into that guy was just a little uncalled for. Hell, I could tear into you for that creepy-*** Emo band wannabe picture you have for an avatar, but I won't go there...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

http://www.carbonware.com
Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Carbonware doesn't have anything carbon fiber for the S197s.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

Hell, I could tear into you for that creepy-*** Emo band wannabe picture you have for an avatar, but I won't go there...
Actually I didnt take it, or even put it on here as my avatar for that matter, and whats creepy? That my hair isnt nicely trimmed up and corformed to everyone elses "standards"? Or the fact that I wasnt sober and didnt try to pose for the picture and be fake? O and dont label me "EMO" because first off you have no idea what kind of music I listen to, and secondly you have no idea that Im a wannabe. k thanks.

O, and I agree high modulus carbon fiber is stronger, its used for various aircrafts and the like and is very expensive, but the cheap stuff used for car parts is not.
What you guys think is really carbon fiber is basically a knock off cheap version of real carbon fiber and often isnt made solely of carbon fiber. Its often a light metal or plastic frame with a carbon fiber composite surrounding, or sometimes even carbon fiber reinforced plastic. Before you tell me to do my homework, realize whats on the market and what these "carbon fiber" products REALLY are.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Products