MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   What Springs Drop The Car and Make it Sit Level? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/164568-what-springs-drop-the-car-and-make-it-sit-level.html)

Nachtjager 08-10-2006 04:13 PM

What Springs Drop The Car and Make it Sit Level?

Okay, there are a lot of spring kits out there, so before I order one, I want to know what you guys think. I'm gonna' run 255s on the 18" polished Bullitt wheels, but it bugs me that my GT's butt sticks up in the air. I want to lower the car some and was looking into the Steeda and Eibach springs, but my big concern is, I want the car to sit level. If I drop it 1-1/2" all around, or thereabouts, it's still going to have a rake to it, it's just going to be lower. I've seen guys on this board with cars sitting level, so my question is, how did you guys do that? Is there an over-the-counter kit that will get my GT down a bit and eliminate that jacked-up look that it has from the factory? Thanks for all the good advice in the previous posts, my lil' black GT is coming along nicely.

QuickShortBus 08-10-2006 04:25 PM

RE: What Springs Drop The Car and Make it Sit Level?

The easiest way to level the car is just with a set of Roush rear springs, you can buy the seperately from the fronts so you save about $100. Plus no need to get the front aligned then.

pegasusphototx 08-10-2006 06:08 PM

+1 That's exactly what I did!

[IMG]local://upfiles/33432/FB763F3768204565B672273CC474D7AE.jpg[/IMG]

Nick 08-10-2006 07:03 PM

Me to & I have 18" rims w/ 255's on the back.

gregt909 08-10-2006 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Nick

Ditto, I have 18's as well. It sits pretty level with thr Roush rear springs. I believe it lowers it about 3/4". Only take about an hour or less to install.

05ROUSHER 08-10-2006 08:25 PM

+1 on the Roush Springs. Car will sit level.

bodyputtyless 08-10-2006 11:15 PM

Why couldn't you just cut off one curl of each rear spring to achieve the same thing? It would lower the rear about an inch for sure. Same amount of labor/time and at no cost.

Kaldar142 08-10-2006 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

Why couldn't you just cut off one curl of each rear spring to achieve the same thing? It would lower the rear about an inch for sure. Same amount of labor/time and at no cost.
thats what a ricer would do

SweetGT 08-10-2006 11:35 PM

Two things standout to me as why that Wouldnt be good idea.

1st once you cut the springs you cant go back unless you purchase new springs...

2nd if you cut the springs you hurt the performance of the spring and that is considered by most not be the best way get you lowered anyway, also the spring was desiged by ford engineers with that curl(that you plan to cut) to provide you with the nicest possible/performance.

Iam not sayin not to do it, but for the price of the rear roush springs its not worth the effort.;)

dmhines 08-10-2006 11:44 PM

Anybody know any reason why the Roush rear springs would not fit a V6 car ... looking to level off my Mustang as well ...

MG Ponie 08-11-2006 12:27 AM

I also have the Roush springs, lower it about 3/4"........ and I think they look great.

svt93style 08-11-2006 02:03 AM

For all you out there that have this done, can we please get some more pics....I really would like to see this b/c I have the same opinion about the back sticking up...

Thanks

05HOTROD 08-11-2006 05:18 AM

eibach pro kit fronts and eibach sportlines rear,,,,,completing level. my buddy has this set up, so I ordered a set of sportlines and doing the same thing....I know I know, two sets of springs and eibach probably does not reccomend it, but he say it rides no different from having all pro kit springs on.

motoxdirtrider84 08-11-2006 05:27 AM

I want to purchase roush rear springs as well, can someone tell me the cheapest place to look for them? Are there different lowering sizes or is it just the 3/4 one?

fairlane292 08-11-2006 09:44 AM

I had intended to do front and rear (Eibach ProKit) but after doing the rear and seeing the stance I decided against doing the front. Later did chin spoiler which with lowering would have been too much of a driving concern. If anyone is going to do the LEVEL LOW LOW LOOK; let me know I have the ProKit fronts to go with the Sportline rears.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/4DF1B0FD3E8649D39B31B150719E89EA.jpg[/IMG]

bodyputtyless 08-11-2006 11:08 AM

You all have it way to easy these days. Ricers may or may not cut springs. But Hot rodders from the old days did. Believe it or not there was actually a time when you made your own mods. Lowering the car from either cutting a coil or buying a different spring changes the ride. The only difference is you paid $120 for the new springs and you have to locate a place in the garage to store the stock ones that you will never ever reinstall. They probably have a fellow over at the Roush factory that does nothing all day except cut one coil off of stock GT rear springs,paints them blue and them boxes them up!

cekim 08-11-2006 11:34 AM

You all have it way to easy these days. Ricers may or may not cut springs. But Hot rodders from the old days did. Believe it or not there was actually a time when you made your own mods. Lowering the car from either cutting a coil or buying a different spring changes the ride. The only difference is you paid $120 for the new springs and you have to locate a place in the garage to store the stock ones that you will never ever reinstall. They probably have a fellow over at the Roush factory that does nothing all day except cut one coil off of stock GT rear springs,paints them blue and them boxes them up!
There are a few notable differences:

1. H.E.A.T - It changes the behavior of the spring... So, if you torch the spring to cut it, it will change its "rate"
2. you need to clean up the edge to avoid gouging the mount
3. you won't get the last curl to be flat
4. you likely won't get the cut exactly the same on both springs.
5. Have fun doing it twice 'cause do you know exactly how much of the uncompressed spring to cut to lower it N inches?

Just because people used to do it does not make it a good idea... People used to do all manner of really stupid things (and still do!).

+0.9 on the Roush rears - there is a "lowering your 05/06 mustang" sticky thread with pics...

The missing 0.1 is that with a Vert, the Roush rears lower the rear just a little too much making it perfect when you add 100+Lbs of FI hardware, but if you didn't the front would be 1/4" too high...

sandyman 08-11-2006 11:48 AM

I used the Roush rear springs and the car is perfectly level.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19583/E37F978E0B934D28860A1293B80C21C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19583/AF232D5638C34A058A8150691DFBCD0B.jpg[/IMG]

cekim 08-11-2006 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: sandyman
I used the Roush rear springs and the car is perfectly level.
Did you measure? Mine were REAL close - I noticed first witha finger test and then measured...

I have to say, it "looked" fine which is why I only subtracted 0.1 from my +1, but "knowing" it was a little too high bugged me until I "fixed" it...

Daniel06GT 08-12-2006 01:55 AM

Has anybody done this with 18X10's in the back? will it make the tires rub?

thanks

-DG

07stangGrl 08-12-2006 07:34 PM

I would like to know this as well, I have 18x10 on back and 18x9 on front and want to lower it. Dont want it to rub...or have a problem when I go over a speed bump.
Just ordered new exhaust:D Will be here Weds.

GTlust 08-12-2006 09:23 PM

Did all you guys adding these springs adjust your pinion angle?

ORIGINAL: gregt909

ORIGINAL: Nick

Ditto, I have 18's as well. It sits pretty level with thr Roush rear springs. I believe it lowers it about 3/4". Only take about an hour or less to install.

GTlust 08-12-2006 09:42 PM

muscle cars are supposed to have a raked look. I ended up slamming my truck to the ground, but I think i'll keep the mustang at stock height. Maybe 1 inch all around to keep the rake look.;)

ORIGINAL: Nachtjager

Okay, there are a lot of spring kits out there, so before I order one, I want to know what you guys think. I'm gonna' run 255s on the 18" polished Bullitt wheels, but it bugs me that my GT's butt sticks up in the air. I want to lower the car some and was looking into the Steeda and Eibach springs, but my big concern is, I want the car to sit level. If I drop it 1-1/2" all around, or thereabouts, it's still going to have a rake to it, it's just going to be lower. I've seen guys on this board with cars sitting level, so my question is, how did you guys do that? Is there an over-the-counter kit that will get my GT down a bit and eliminate that jacked-up look that it has from the factory? Thanks for all the good advice in the previous posts, my lil' black GT is coming along nicely.

Ruffnuts 08-12-2006 11:36 PM

Steeda has a set of sport springs that will drop the front 1.0 and the rear 1 3/4. Thats the set I am ordering. even with just the rear dropped 3/4 inch the stang still looks to much like a 4x4, Too much wheel well gap.

cekim 08-12-2006 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: GTlust
muscle cars are supposed to have a raked look. I ended up slamming my truck to the ground, but I think i'll keep the mustang at stock height. Maybe 1 inch all around to keep the rake look.;)
Rake is cool if its because your wrinkle walls hold the back up relative to the bicycle tires up front, but:

a. then your ABS won't work;)
b. the mustang has finally reached the point where you can turn a corner at speed - so like it or not, it is not JUST a drag car anymore...

Looking at muddy fender liners for no reason is just not cool... That just my opinion, but I like my opinion better than yours;)

bluetang 08-13-2006 01:06 PM

I used Steeda Ultralite rear springs and I use 18x10 DD Bullitts with 285s in the rear and they don't rub.;)

vxtonkaboy 08-17-2007 02:52 AM

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Anybody know any reason why the Roush rear springs would not fit a V6 car ... looking to level off my Mustang as well ...
I would love to know as well. I live in Colorado and when you lower your car a little too much, you end up with damage. So lowering the rear is about all I am willing to do. Anyone have a V6 with the Roush rear springs? Or... Is there a another set of springs that will do the trick? If you lower it more than 3/4 will it look stupid?

Shard Phoenix 08-17-2007 08:22 AM

What part of CO do you live in? My last car was dropped and I seldom had issues... well except in the snow... but I wouldntdrive the mustang in Colorado snow storms anyway :)

zedoktor 08-17-2007 09:01 AM

i wouldn't want to lower the front because I'd probably end up hitting all types of curbs/parking blocks that the front of the car goes right over at stock height but a poster had said that the roush springs in the back made the car feel much more solid at launch and didn't get as crazy when banging gears (i forgot who it was). It's also possible to retain the "raked" look if you buy taller tires for the back. it'll probably look pretty good but it'll take away some gearing.

BLD06GTVert 08-17-2007 10:19 AM

Steeda Sports will keep you level. I have them and 20 x 10's running 295's on the rear and no rubbing.

If you check out this link, you will see 4 attachments on the 4th post down.

Pic #1 - stock wheels, stock springs
Pic #2 - 20" wheelswith stock springs
Pics # 3/4 - 20" wheels with Steeda Sports

https://mustangforums.com/m_3690349/tm.htm

If you choose this route, you'll not only get better looks, but much improved handling and very nice compliant ride. I LOVE mine!

Hope that helps

Sherwood06GT 08-17-2007 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: GTlust

+1000

I still can't understand why someone buys a Mustang, which most people do 'cause of the retro look, then lower it, and ruin that old school look. Just me, but I love that raked look! Big rubber on the back, strait line speed, and to heck with the cornering! If I wanted a"sports"car I'd buy one! (actually I did but I got rid of the Z for the Pony) My two cents if anyone cares.

torch red 08-17-2007 11:59 AM

i feel the Rousch rear setup the car still sits way to high..

The whole car needs a drop...i went with BMR 1.25 front and 1.75 in the rear and the car is not slammed into the ground..

with enough travel in the suspension.. i have 285 with a 10" wheel no issues at all..

if you do the spring, might as well do the shocks..

[IMG]local://upfiles/19878/829D6361CA2F4296BFC13FE32ABD54A9.jpg[/IMG]

s2k 08-17-2007 12:07 PM

Thats the perfect drop^ IMO

vxtonkaboy 08-17-2007 07:28 PM

I live in Denver and commute to Aurora. Denver does not have them so bad but Aurora has dips EVERYWHERE. I bottom out the Crown Vic on them all the time. If you look at those things you can see all the marks that other cars have left behind. + I like to drive and park my car with out being paranoid about hitting a curb. (It doesn't help either that this is my first car because I have driven trucks/Jeeps most my life.)

But... To revisit a topic, Would lowering the rear more than 3/4" look funny? I think someone else here actually lowered their Stang 1.5" in the rear only. Can't remember who though.

davesiar 08-18-2007 01:50 AM

Here is my setup. BMR springs and Tokico D-Specs. 18x10's on the rear and 18x9's on the front. No rubbing issues at all, and these springs drop the car 2" all the way around.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...T/DSC00679.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...T/DSC00680.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...T/DSC00682.jpg

157dB 08-18-2007 05:08 PM

https://mustangforums.com/m_3722657/tm.htm