Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAMN THIS NOISE! ...Holy Crap, it was the LCA's!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 10:21 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default DAMN THIS NOISE! ...Holy Crap, it was the LCA's!

I've got this whirring noise from the rear that begins about 40 mph and continues from there. It only occurs while on the throttle. As soon as I take my foot off the gas it stops. It sound like a bearing type noise. I've had the rear end redone twice with no change in this. It is most noticeable at cruise. Mods are in my sig. Any ideas?? It's driving me nuts!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Cloud 9
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: DAMN THIS NOISE!

It is your rims. I think you should give them to me.

Take it back to the dealer. If they don't know what is wrong, take it to another dealer. What do they say is the problem?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Id say take it back to the dealer also. Have them check the driveshaft too. But it sounds like a rear end noise to me. What brand gears do you have in there? You might want to contact the manufacturer and tell them your woes, they might send you a new set.
-P.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I have FRPP gears and I've had them redone twice and replaced on the second time along with the pinion bearing. They are the new style, and yes, I'm familiar with that WA-WA-WA noise on decell that gears do and it's not that. This only occurs on accel or cruise. I've brought it to the dealer once and they were ready to replace the rear end. But I didn't tell them I had 3.73's in there and i didn't want them to replace the gears and throw back in the original 3.31's!

I asked if they were going to replace the gears anyway could they put in 3.73's and thay said no. B/C they are a dealer thay can no longer do this b/c of fed regulations and emission laws. They admitted they used to do performance mods all the time and made alot of money on them in the past but now they are no longer allowed to do this.

Since the rear end job was under warranty from the shop that did them I brought it back to them. They were the ones that replaced the bearings the first time and replaced the gears again the second time. To me the gears themselves are very quiet. But this damn high pitched whirring! I was thinking of putting back the original LCA's to see if that solves the problem. My BMRs are non adjustable.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:26 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like the exact same problem my father had with his 2004 Expedition. They had to replace the rear end in it and it went away. They said it was one of the metals that ford used in it that didn't react well with something and when it heated up it made the sound. Unfortunately for you, they haven't figured out the fix for these vehicles because you still have the same problem.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Well, I spoke to the guy at the shop that did the gears and he said that the LCA's can transmit all sorts of noises. So I got home today and swapped back the stock LCA's and lo and behold the noise is gone!!

All this, changing bearings, redoing the gears, time wasted, etc and it was the freakin BMR's!! I have to admit I liked the performance but not the noise. I guess I'll have to find some aluminum ones or a space-frame style that will not transmit noise like that. I guess my wife is right when she tells me I never leave well enough alone.

This is just FYI to all of you with solid LCA's, if there's a bearing noise in the rear it may well be those! I'll have to take them out of my sig I guess.

Anyone else with aftermarket control arms with issues?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:07 AM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

I have the CHE and no problems so far. Then again, they're the fixed length/non adjustable.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:49 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Mine were non adjustable also. What is CHE? and where can i get them?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Please more detail!
Was the noise gear whine?
Were the LCAs just transmitting the noise, or causing the noise, etc???????????????

My dealer tried two installs with the motive 3.73s and both whined horrible.
Between the first and second install I put on my BMR lcas.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Which part number gears?

Where they the brand new ones made by Ford Racing (If so where did you get them!!!!)?

or were they the Ford Racing rebranded motive ones?

Quick Reply: DAMN THIS NOISE! ...Holy Crap, it was the LCA's!