Mustang GT structural integrity after and accident (pics included) - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Mustang GT structural integrity after and accident (pics included)

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Mustang GT structural integrity after and accident (pics included)

Old 08-11-2006, 05:47 PM
MUSTloveSTANG
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT structural integrity after and accident (pics included)

Welcome to the forums! Glad that it held up and you're ok!

Very sad to see such a nice car in such sad shape........
Old 08-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

4Wheel-
Can you explain why they didn't just total out the GT? The repairs cost about 1/2 the price of a new car, and even though the driver walked away the car can't really be expected to drive or look like new after repaired.
Was there something unique about the GT that meant the driver wanted to keep it forever?
Thanks for sharing your insights.
I know that when I got into lots of cars at the LA Auto Show I could just about punch through some of the thin doors. The Mustang feels so much safer and now we know!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:37 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

The other driver's insurance is probably Direct General! J/K! I was wondering the same thing.

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

4Wheel-
Can you explain why they didn't just total out the GT? The repairs cost about 1/2 the price of a new car, and even though the driver walked away the car can't really be expected to drive or look like new after repaired.
Was there something unique about the GT that meant the driver wanted to keep it forever?
Thanks for sharing your insights.
I know that when I got into lots of cars at the LA Auto Show I could just about punch through some of the thin doors. The Mustang feels so much safer and now we know!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl

The insurance company gave me flack that if my car fared so well there should be NO WAY that my neck was tweaked. Luckily for me they ultimately offered me $5000 for the med bill and my lost wages and that is exactly what I wanted anyway to cover everything.
What insurance company did the other drive have, or was your insurance giving you flack? Don't get hit by anyone who carries direct general insurance, they never did pay for my car repair and I had to eventually pay my deductible. I got it back 6 months later after they finally settled with my insurance company. All this because the insurance company thought the woman's daughter who caused the accident was living in her house permanently and wasn't supposed to be. Basically she was trying to save a few bucks by not reporting to her insurance company that her teenage daughter was living with her, which is probably true since they all looked like white trash.

So if you have direct general or work for them you can suck my ***! Sorry, but a legitimate insurance company would pay the claim and then sue their policy holder or raise their rates. The total damage was $1800 by the way, ****ing sad!
Hey GTLust -
The kid who hit me was barely 20 and had quite a history it turns out. He acquired insurance only 2 days before through Permanent General (a company who insures high-risk people). He even asked if he could just pay my for the repair estimate and then get on his way. My insurance was Mercury and they facilitated getting my car repaired, but I was on my own for the medical and lost pay. Lawyers wouldn't take my case cuz the repair bill for my car was under $1000. The claims adjuster assigned to my case was a complete waste! Every time I called I'd get voice mail, every time I called back a few days later after no return call I'd have to get a supervisor on the line. Every time the adjuster would finally talk to me she'd ask as if she'd never talked to me before. It wasn't fun. I was hit 02/27/06 and I finally got payment 07/27/06. Permanent General blows!!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Can you explain why they didn't just total out the GT? The repairs cost about 1/2 the price of a new car
If I understand the definition of 'totaled,' it means when the repairs to the car > the value of the car. No insurance company is gonna make deals like that and stay in business for very long, buying folks new cars when they can be "repaired" for substantially less. That's just the way it is... Sorry about the car.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:12 PM
MD07GT

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

Can you explain why they didn't just total out the GT? The repairs cost about 1/2 the price of a new car
If I understand the definition of 'totaled,' it means when the repairs to the car > the value of the car.
Not quite true: the repairs PLUS the salvage value of the car must equal or exceed the book value of the vehicle (I know because I was once an insurance adjuster).
Old 08-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the clarification, MD07. That makes sense.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:06 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I wonder what the salvage value would be? Probably $10K which wouldn't quite equal book value. Hell my book value was $28K and it ain't even a vert.

ORIGINAL: MD07GT

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

If I understand the definition of 'totaled,' it means when the repairs to the car > the value of the car.
Not quite true: the repairs PLUS the salvage value of the car must equal or exceed the book value of the vehicle (I know because I was once an insurance adjuster).
Old 08-11-2006, 10:30 PM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr

(partial repost)

There is absoulutely no question, after seeing this mustang, that if I were to be in an accident, I would rather be in this mustang than any Audi or VW or Toyota or Honda etc etc.

Built Ford tough.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:48 AM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

It's hard to say what the best future course of action really is....would you sell the vehicle? keep it and keep on truckin'?

What you were talking about MikeHawke, damages on the other side of the car...i did mention. Collision repairs are not like that of yesteryear. They are very sophisticated and thorough. Frame machines cost upward of $100,000 and can measure a frame or unibody structure with .5mm tolerances. Most domestic vehicle manufactures have a measurement error of around 5-7 mms. Most foreign manufacturers have tolerance of between 3-6mms. Some full-frame vehicle, like trucks, i've seen brand new from the factory with over 30mm of variance (that was on one occasion with a 3500 Dodge Ram). Granted it's a BIG *** truck...but 3 cm's is a lot of distance.

Anyway, my point being that this mustang spent about a week on the frame rack. The tolerances for distance when this car is complete will be tighter than factory-almost guaranteed. The structure is likely to be more rigid after it's complete. Think of a broken bone, the mend on the bone is stronger than the original bone itself. A lot of people fear the repair process. After seeing it first hand for many years I'm pretty confident that everything will be back to original-assuming the bodyshop itself doesn't try to hide stuff and skimp out on the work.

Cars at the factory are simply stamped together with robots...there are thousands of spot welds on any given car. Like a surgeon (sort of), the repaired car will be painstakingly measured and hand-welded. Like I said the car literally sits on the rack with the computer running and continuous measurements are taken to ensure the fit is damn near perfect.

Hidden damage can be a problen as you also mentioned. That is yet another reason for all of the unibody measurements and as you can see the interior is COMPLETELY stripped out of this car to ensure the floor pans and crossmembers beneath the carpeting are all straight and sound.

Just like most things, people fear what they do not understand. This car will be better than new once complete...or at least that's the goal.

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

ORIGINAL: mapiwoni

Being that that is my car that those are pictures of.. I'm going to have to agree with superior. However.. as you can see from the profile pic.. once I get her back I'm going to forget it ever happened and move on.. I mean, I had the car less than 2 months before the accident. I'm really going to get rid of it just because I killed the resale?

[IMG]local://upfiles/45881/D8FD75F4FC634A189828CA17E2143FAF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45881/3D6F72D2901843E3A27F88763B8551BF.jpg[/IMG]
I'm really sorry to say this and I mean no offense my friend but I would dump it as soon as possible.

I had the EXACT same hit on my '03 GT when it was nearly brand new. The insurance company got it all fixed up and it LOOKED brand new again. However, as time passed, I continued to have problems.

A car can not take a hit like that and not have unseen damage somewhere else. All they are going to fix is the stuff they see that is broken. That impact sent forces all through the car and things will never be the same again. Think about the forces pushing on the OTHER side of the car.....look at slow motion images of impact testing and see what happens to "other" side of the car in a hard hit like that. It's gruesome.

Again, I am sorry and I don't mean to rain on your parade but I guarantee that within a year you will wish you had dumped it. [&o]

The important thing is that you are OK. I seriously hope that nobody was hurt.