Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost got screwed under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:11 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

Default Almost got screwed under warranty

So last thursday I took my car it for the dealer to look at the squeeking rear end, leaking brake fluid res. cap, the paint that peeled under the brake res. as a result, and the hesitations that sometimes happen when down shifting. They fixed my rear end and res. cap no questions asked but said they could not recreate the hesitation therefore they could not warranty it. I pinked my car up friday and they said the paint was also aproved, they then scheduled me for paint on monday and said they would have to remove the brake booster and master cylinder to paint. So I was thinking hey cool they are going to the the job the right way without me griping about it. So I bring my car monday along with a copy of TSB 6-9-9. They again told me they couldnt recreate the problem and would not fix it until they witnessed it. I told them that there is no way they can recreate a problem that only happens once whenever the heck it wants to. SO basicly I am going to have to live with it, but I am going to call Ford Customer Service to see if I can push any buttons through them considering this is a very inconsistant problem.

Anyway, they told me my car would be in the paint shop for 2 days, I called tues afternoon and it wasnt ready yet and did the same on wed. The painter told me the service dept hadnt taken any of the things out of the engine bay yet and he couldnt fit a gun in the space to spray it. No big deal right? So I go into work this morning and start talking to a lady whos husband is the parts manager and has been looking out for my car. She tells me how the general manager told the service dept just to take a can of spray paint and paint my car. Her husband then has a sh*t fit and the general manager telling him theres no way he is going to spray paint a customers car and that he would be fixing it the right way. I am so thankful that I know someone on the inside or else I would have blown a gasket when I saw that they had spray painted my car. Aparently this gen manager is new and came from a different dealership and is wanting to really half *** everything.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK BEHIND THESE CRAZY PEOPLE WHEN PICKING UP YOUR CAR!!

I cant believe someone would even think of doing some crap like that!

Ty
Old 08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Almost got screwed under warranty

Whoa, spray paint huh? [:'(]

I brought my stang in for the fuel tank shut off TSB a month or so after purchasing the car. When I walk in, I guess I didn't say the right magical words, I told them I came in for warranty work as my gas tank shuts off when I'm at the pump. The service advisor clicks away at his PC and tells me "there are no recalls on your vehicle." I tell him... so... this isn't under warranty?! I'll just have to fill up my tank half way everytime and live with it? After 10 minutes of dialogue that I've forgotten, he brought out his manager in which he told me that "yeah.. this is under warranty. This is a known issue.." DUH!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Ask 'em to do a fuel pressure test... if it shows that air is getting into your fuel pump.. they need to replace it. The TSB (06-9-9) itself only tells them to run a certain diagnostic to "rule out" the symptom occurring as a result of issues other than the fuel pump. If this diagnostic rules out everything else, then the TSB says they must replace the fuel pump. It does not say that the symptom must be replicated first. As you said, it cannot be as it does not happen every time when the circumstances that can cause it are met. They need to replace it for your safety and that is the angle you should approach. And yes, I would call Ford and tell them that you have this symptom and do not need to be rear-ended or broad-sided in an intersection because one of their dealerships doesn't believe you are experiencing the issue.

My dealership flat out told me that they could not re-create it and yet they still ordered my part. However, perhaps for their own reasons, when the part came in and I brought the car back, they did a fuel pressure test and it showed air getting into the system. But I think with enough pressure, you can force air into a fuel pump anyway... I dunno. Read that TSB carefully. This is a touchy one and dealership service centers need to interpret it correctly... technically it does not have to be replicated in order for the TSB to be fulfilled. IMHO.

Gosh I love to ramble on about this one... hehe. [8D]
Old 08-17-2006, 08:51 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the advice, i will deffinatly look into it.

Ty
Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: mongrull006

"leaking brake fluid res. cap"

Hey Mongrull006,
What'd they do about the leaking cap? Mine leaks a a little too, but I just keep wiping it doen every few days.

UB10
Old 08-18-2006, 08:39 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

they replaced it, they only asked me if i had ever wiped it off and if i had added any fluid. make sure that it hasnt gotten on the paint, it will drip in a pretty inconspicuos area right below the brake booster, so search thoroughly.

BTW, I got a call from the dealer today telling me I had to bring the loaner (F150)back because they had sold it, when I got there they replace it with a POS Taurus that doesnt even have a cd player, WTH is that?! so i also called the body shop to see if everything was comming along and once again they have not yet touched it, I went down there after work to raise hell but the service managers were gone for the day and i just couldnt bring myself to b*tching at the lady at the counter who has nothing to do with it.

anyway, we will see how long im am away from my precious...
Old 08-18-2006, 09:00 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

That really sucks.... I'd find myself another dealer, these guys sound like a bunch of bozos.

Good luck..

UB10
Old 08-18-2006, 09:07 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

They replaced my clutch packs on my first visit to the dealership, but the fuel pump tested okay, even though i discovered had problems accelerating after long highway cruises. After leaving the dealer and 30 minutes on the freeway, I was able to re-create the acceleration issue again. So I ended up taking the car the next week to another Ford dealer, expalined the previous dealer experience and they replaced the fuel pump without even testing. I haven't been able to re-create the problem, so hopefully its fixed.