Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT structural integrity after and accident (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:30 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang GT structural integrity after and accident (pics included)

(partial repost)

I work with an insurance company (currently as an appraiser) and have the opportunity to see every single make and model after an accident. (haven't seen a Ferrari or Lotus yet though)

Just got an '06 Mustang GT that was a hard T-bone.

What do I mean by hard t-bone?...Entire right side inner and outer had to be replaced: Quarter (inner and outer), wheelhouse, rocker (inner and outer) including rocker reinforcement, door, a-pillar (inner and outer) it even broke the dash board and dash beam it got hit so hard. The driver got out and walked away without a scratch on him.

What's special about this car once they start taking it apart? The sheet metal is so sturdy and reinforced from the 1/4 dogleg thru the entire rocker that it had to be cut off with a plasma torch...usually they can be cut off with a sheet metal nibbler and the metal slices like butter.

What does this mean? Well most cars (lets not even talk about Audi's and BMW-those things crinkle and ripple thru the entire unibody) show damage effects all over the car. A hard t-bone will usually force a "banana-shaped" unibody so the gaps on the opposite side of the car will all be opened up, trunk and hood wont align propertly etc. etc. Even though the mustang got hit very hard the chasis remained rigid.

Bottom line: the car is built very very rigidly-that rigidity is at the expense of a few hundred pounds-so next time you think 3800lb coupe is too porky-think of how that will respond after getting hit instead of the 3200lb STi sedan.

There is absoulutely no question, after seeing this mustang, that if I were to be in an accident, I would rather be in this mustang than any Audi or VW or Toyota or Honda etc etc.

Pics now included. Total damages were around $14,000.

See ya.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18112/71C40DC9F3594C1F94AE6345A5BFD074.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18112/15351A36E0CB44B3ADCF3E5A8B236E72.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18112/584431206B334C96B78909A558931B84.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18112/04B9AAFA0E544F5DB29B2DAE1FF0CE1D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18112/0D99A5B2459B4BB7966FBF23C5CB968E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-11-2006, 01:55 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT structural integrity after and accident (pics included)

Question......Why would I want that car back after all that work has just been done to it....No thank you, It would be traded in the day I get it back from the body shop.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

OH THE HUMANITY!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:13 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Rock solid!!! Sweet!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:20 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

That is really good to know 4wheelkillr. You always hear it said that sports cars so some of the most unsafe cars on the road, and it's good to know that our cars can take a crash like that and PROTECT US. I'm glad the owner was not hurt.

Question......Why would I want that car back after all that work has just been done to it....No thank you, It would be traded in the day I get it back from the body shop.
Who cares? The driver is ALIVE and healthy, which I am sure means more to him than the resale of his car.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM
mapiwoni

Being that that is my car that those are pictures of.. I'm going to have to agree with superior. However.. as you can see from the profile pic.. once I get her back I'm going to forget it ever happened and move on.. I mean, I had the car less than 2 months before the accident. I'm really going to get rid of it just because I killed the resale?

[IMG]local://upfiles/45881/D8FD75F4FC634A189828CA17E2143FAF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45881/3D6F72D2901843E3A27F88763B8551BF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-11-2006, 03:09 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

It's only the passenger side. I wouldn't even see it.........until I washed it[].

This is a warning to whomever hits me like that. If i'm able to exit my vehicle I will kick your ****ing ***, I don't care if you are allready ****ed up or not. When I get to court I'll plead temporary insanity and the case will be thrown out because the judge is a mustang GT owner!

Or just give me one mustang owner on the jury, that's all i'll need!

Was it a man or woman that hit you? How old? Just curious.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:33 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Hey 4wheelkiller - Thanks for posting those pics. It is so nice to see how solid these cars are. I had posted a while back about my own accident (although minor) and I think you had chimed in about insurance and payouts etc?

My own particular accident was a low speed rear-end (guys front end dove down as the tried to brake and hit me at about 15-20 mph). My car didn't look too bad but my neck hurt immediately. The rear bumper panel was crumpled a bit with a hole punched in it. When they got the thing off the car there was body damage underneath that they had to cut out and replace. Whole thing plus paint cost about $900. In the end, the car fared WAY better than my neck did (I had previous injuries) and my off work time and medical bills were not cheap. The insurance company gave me flack that if my car fared so well there should be NO WAY that my neck was tweaked. Luckily for me they ultimately offered me $5000 for the med bill and my lost wages and that is exactly what I wanted anyway to cover everything.

I guess what I wanted to say is that I am soooo happy that these cars are built FORD TOUGH but man if you get in a crash and you are injured (and don't have blood spurting out everywhere) it doesn't seem to work in your favor these days to have a car tougher than your body!

Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: mapiwoni

Being that that is my car that those are pictures of.. I'm going to have to agree with superior. However.. as you can see from the profile pic.. once I get her back I'm going to forget it ever happened and move on.. I mean, I had the car less than 2 months before the accident. I'm really going to get rid of it just because I killed the resale?

[IMG]local://upfiles/45881/D8FD75F4FC634A189828CA17E2143FAF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45881/3D6F72D2901843E3A27F88763B8551BF.jpg[/IMG]
I'm really sorry to say this and I mean no offense my friend but I would dump it as soon as possible.

I had the EXACT same hit on my '03 GT when it was nearly brand new. The insurance company got it all fixed up and it LOOKED brand new again. However, as time passed, I continued to have problems.

A car can not take a hit like that and not have unseen damage somewhere else. All they are going to fix is the stuff they see that is broken. That impact sent forces all through the car and things will never be the same again. Think about the forces pushing on the OTHER side of the car.....look at slow motion images of impact testing and see what happens to "other" side of the car in a hard hit like that. It's gruesome.

Again, I am sorry and I don't mean to rain on your parade but I guarantee that within a year you will wish you had dumped it. [&o]

The important thing is that you are OK. I seriously hope that nobody was hurt.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:07 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl

The insurance company gave me flack that if my car fared so well there should be NO WAY that my neck was tweaked. Luckily for me they ultimately offered me $5000 for the med bill and my lost wages and that is exactly what I wanted anyway to cover everything.
What insurance company did the other drive have, or was your insurance giving you flack? Don't get hit by anyone who carries direct general insurance, they never did pay for my car repair and I had to eventually pay my deductible. I got it back 6 months later after they finally settled with my insurance company. All this because the insurance company thought the woman's daughter who caused the accident was living in her house permanently and wasn't supposed to be. Basically she was trying to save a few bucks by not reporting to her insurance company that her teenage daughter was living with her, which is probably true since they all looked like white trash.

So if you have direct general or work for them you can suck my ***! Sorry, but a legitimate insurance company would pay the claim and then sue their policy holder or raise their rates. The total damage was $1800 by the way, ****ing sad!

Quick Reply: Mustang GT structural integrity after and accident (pics included)