Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new black painted hood and now 1 week later see 3 paint chips. Yeah sweet

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default Got my new black painted hood and now 1 week later see 3 paint chips. Yeah sweet

So today I'm driving home and let open the throttle a little bit and sure as **** when I got home to check if I had any new paint chips (Like sure as hell there coming) the hood had 3 pin size paint chips. Geez a worthless thread I know but do you have to drive in a plastic bubble or drive 65 to escape the dreaded paint chip? SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsss****!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 PM
osxfreak

Default RE: Got my new black painted hood and now 1 week later see 3 paint chips. Yeah sweet

I feel your pain, I even went as far as getting the vinyl stripes to deter that from happening, and today I'm out putting on some tri bars and I noticed 2 nice 1/2 scratches on the front of the hood and fender. Also a few other chips Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Wonder how that clear 3m stuff works? does it get yellowish after time? Anyone know?

Once again I feel your PAIN...

Chip
Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Got my new black painted hood and now 1 week later see 3 paint chips. Yeah sweet

My dad has had the 3m stuff on his car since he bought it back in september of 04, even put some on the ends of the doors, works great and doesnt turn yellow.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

How much does that cost and for installation? Also I live in the deep south where summers are freaking humid, hot and wet at times.
ORIGINAL: bunit9685

My dad has had the 3m stuff on his car since he bought it back in september of 04, even put some on the ends of the doors, works great and doesnt turn yellow.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Are you guys following too close? If there is no vehicle in front of you, how are you getting these road chips. Not being sacastic just thinking you are to close. I understand you probably are using the car as a daily driver in which case it is very difficult to avoid this. You leave space in front of you and they someone cuts in there. But trucks, suvs and cars where you can see a good part of their rear tire patch, stay well back, especially if at highway speeds. Sorry though, I know it hurts, I do have one tiny one at the base of my chin spoiler. Can't lose sleep over it, it's gonna happen.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

I had one semi big one on the tip of the bumper. I used some of the touch up paint and I applied it with a tooth pick. You have to get right next to it to see it is touch up.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I just learned about the tooth pick installation from Professional Wizard thanks. By the way fairlane I live in Charleston, South Carolina and it is a sea port city. Escaping from trucks, dump trucks, wood chip trucks and other vehicles who throw interstate garbage is very slim.[sm=smiley13.gif]
Old 08-16-2006, 08:39 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

It is very common for a repaint to be softer than the baked enamel from the factory....at least for a while. Soft paint chips easily. That's merely a fact of life.

I put the 3m stuff on my CTS-V (did it myself with great success but I have some experience); LOVED IT. Bugs come right off, and chips? What are chips? The car got hit when parked and insurance paid for a pro to replace it as part of the repair. I love Nationwide.

When I got the GT my two main mods, which are now completed, were Borlas and a clear bra. The GT is white, the clear bra is clear and invisible. I had a pro do the hood and bumper due to time constraints, but I bought a light kit and wheelwell kit fron invisiblemask.com and put it on myself. Sweet.

I think there is a 5 year guarantee against yellowing for both 3M and clearshield.

They are not cheap; prices for an installed kit can range from $500 to $1000 or more here in the overpriced DC suburbs. You can buy the kits for about $200-$300 and install them yourself, but unless you know what you are doing you are in for a headache.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:46 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

It is very common for a repaint to be softer than the baked enamel from the factory....at least for a while. Soft paint chips easily. That's merely a fact of life.

I put the 3m stuff on my CTS-V (did it myself with great success but I have some experience); LOVED IT. Bugs come right off, and chips? What are chips? The car got hit when parked and insurance paid for a pro to replace it as part of the repair. I love Nationwide.

When I got the GT my two main mods, which are now completed, were Borlas and a clear bra. The GT is white, the clear bra is clear and invisible. I had a pro do the hood and bumper due to time constraints, but I bought a light kit and wheelwell kit fron invisiblemask.com and put it on myself. Sweet.

I think there is a 5 year guarantee against yellowing for both 3M and clearshield.

They are not cheap; prices for an installed kit can range from $500 to $1000 or more here in the overpriced DC suburbs. You can buy the kits for about $200-$300 and install them yourself, but unless you know what you are doing you are in for a headache.

Good luck.
How long does it last for?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:19 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

[/quote]

How long does it last for?
[/quote]

Good question. They are pretty new to the scene, so there isn't alot of real world data. Lots of happy customers out there, though. With 5 year warranties against peeling, lifetime warranties against yellowing, apparently 3M and Clearshield think they will last a long time. My Caddy had it on for 18 months with no signs of deterioration until the front end got whacked and the whole thing needed to be replaced.

If it lasts 5 years that is good enough for me. Maybe I'll have the car that long....maybe I won't.......

Quick Reply: Got my new black painted hood and now 1 week later see 3 paint chips. Yeah sweet