Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance and drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:35 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Insurance and drag racing

What are you guys doing about insurance when youre drag racing? My dad found out I have been racing my car because I forgot to take the numbers off my window and wont let me race because he says if I wreck the car insurance wont cover it. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Insurance and drag racing

just curious but how old are you?

i've been trying to go to the track and honestly i guess if you wreck then thats it, its kind of a risk you take i guess
Old 08-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Yeah, insurance companies frown upon the racing thing.
Life's full of risks. Maybe you can convince your dad that you actually have more chance to wreck it on the street.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thats what I was trying to tell him, you have more of a chance of wrecking the car street racing with the local ricers than you do at the track, but if thats what Im forced to do then I will.

BTW IM 18
Old 08-13-2006, 03:04 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Agreed. You stand a LOT more chance wrecking it on the street. Drag racing on the track is in a completely controlled environment. That envronment is set up specifically with saftey in mind, it is supervised at all times at all levels and the idiots are are controlled a lot better on the track than they are on the streets. The rules are such that the real idiots won't even get in. It's been my experience that once an idiot learns about the rules he just decides it's too much hassle and just keeps racing on the street. Hence why most ricers get really quiet when you ask them for a time slip.
At any rate, your Dad could be right that the insurance won't cover it. To know for sure you would have to check your individual policy. No offense to your dad but most people assume their insurance policies cover or don't cover certain things without actually checking them. He's probably right on this one though but I'd stilll check.
In regards to having a wreck though, your chances are 100 times greater on the street than on the track. It's the soccer mom in the SUV with a cup of coffee, a cell phone and three screaming kids I would be worrying about rather than anything that could happen at the track.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:06 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Drive the car home, call a cop and tell them you hit a tree. They will fill out an accident report for you. give that to the insurance company. You might have to pay a fine for leaving the scene of an accident, but since no one was involved I'm not sure.

Better yet go to the police station and tell them you hit a deer. The police report might not be necessary, but i'm pretty sure most insurance companies require it.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Lol yeah, only problem would be if I got in an addicent where the track ambulance had to take me to the hospital. I know the track is a much safer place to race, I told him that. I told him there are alot of people doing 150% the speed I am, 10 times as much as I do and they are fine. His whole problem seems to be the fact that there is a 1 in a million chance I could wreck it there and be hurt... and then the insurance wont cover it. I really am desperate trying to come up with something because I WONT just stop racing.. whether I have to hide the fact that Im going to the track or whether I have to resort to visiting the local street racers for a night of joy riding...
Old 08-13-2006, 06:47 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Have you explored racing insurance? Frankly, I have not, don't know if anyone offers it or what it requires...

But, generally speaking, there is an insurance company with their hand out for any risk you can think of it is all a matter of how much it costs and how hard it is to find them...

If monetary risk is the concern, look into ways to "manage that risk" - I suspect then you will find that like any parent, that is not really what they are concerned about, but hey at least you force them to be honest about it

Old 08-13-2006, 07:04 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

No I havent yet, I was just caught today as he came home and saw my time and number on my window >.< After a brief discussion about what I ran and how fast I was told I wasnt allowed to race again because of the liability of me wrecking. I was told the health insurance wont cover me nor will the car insurance simply because I was racing. So he said a wreck at the track would be devastating (yeah its a financial thing). We have no problems paying for anything but Im just guessing that having to repair/replace a 28k car + any medical bills would put a hurtin on anyone... not that I dont understand my dads position.. he doesnt understand mine.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Well, I cannot speak to your policy specifically, but as far as health incurance goes, racing at a sanctioned track is not illegal, so I cannot see how all but the most carefully written insurance policies would disallow coverage on an injury... If you are curious, call them up and ask (perhaps it would be best to keep the conversation "hypothetical").

They don't stop you from skiing, scuba diving (though they ask), sky diving etc...

I am sure AFTER you have a life threatening accident, you might get a few more questions from the "next" insurance company, but not to make your parents life more difficult, it would be a little surprising if they disallowed coverage for an injury while doing something that is perfectly legal (assuming it was actually at the track)...

As for insurance on the car - there you would have to comb over your policy and perhaps an "anonymous" call to the the incurance company...

a. I find it hard to believe that any track could exist today if they were exposed to all that liability - wavers don't mean !@#$ you still get sued and getting sued is the expensive part - winning or losing is largely irrelavent as far as expense of liability goes...

b. it is perfectly legal to drag at a track - if it is legal, then unless your policy specifically says something specific about it, then they are on the hook... They can choose to charge you more if they know about it, but check your policy (and don't even think of blaming the tree - bad idea! - insurance fraud bad, they take that seriously...)

Laslty, I did a crude google search, there are indeed companies that offer racing insurance... Take a look - ask around, I know nothing...

I have to agree with all those that say that clamping down on street racing and not encouraging legal venues makes no sense...

Quick Reply: Insurance and drag racing