Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent info from SCT regarding tune/warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Recent info from SCT regarding tune/warranty...

There seems to be many opinions on whether flashing backing to stock after a custom tune with XCAL2 leaves any evidence that the dealer can find. Some say that the only evidence is a code basically stating that the PCM has been reset (which could be battery disconnect, tune, etc.). Others say there is some other evidence buried deep in the PCM that the service guy can access. Well, here's what SCT says:

http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6192

So, it looks like all you get is a P1000 code, and if you drive for a few miles (I've read 50 to be safe), that code goes away, too. So, reflash to stock, drive for a couple days, THEN take it in for service.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:01 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Recent info from SCT regarding tune/warranty...

That's great info richmod. This has been a tough issue to nail down as Ford is not very open about it.

I understood that the computer stores information such as maximum injector pressure, RPM, timing etc which can be a telltale sign of an aftermarket tune if it exceeds the factory parameters. I don't think it is just the "black box" feature either. It is something that was in place on previous generations, so I would assume this car has it too.

I don't know how easy this information is to collect and they may only go after it in the case of a catastrophic failure but I would REALLY like to get this clarified because I need a tune really bad LOL.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:13 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Now i can stop worrying about getting caught.[sm=innoc.gif]
Old 08-16-2006, 06:13 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I heard about the SCT problems. I heard that it only changes like 5 main objects in the code, so ford can isolate that info and see if there has been a change. Diablosport's programmer for this car was also one of the programmers that originally worked on the stock program for our cars. So their tunes pretty much mimic what the car had stock, thus the longer time to flash the computer. Atleast this is what I was told by a supposed mustang expert that lives here in town. So far I haven't had any problems setting mine back to stock and taking it in for warrenty work, which I've done recently. The scan tooled my car several times and never picked anything up.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
blackv6
1st Gear Member

steeda parts are covered under ford's warranty... a steeda intake which REQUIRES a tune and v6's only use SCT, im covered under warranty!!!

YYAYAYAY!!!! unless i get gears and they notice those paramaters adjusted... along with the speedo...