Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it necessary to add a set of shocks when lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Default Is it necessary to add a set of shocks when lowering?

Next month when I buy new wheels I plan on also lowering the car but would rather not spend the $550 on the Tokico's right away unless it's absolutely necessary. So, what are the benefits of upgrading the shocks and would it be fine to hold off on them for a few months.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is it necessary to add a set of shocks when lowering?

ORIGINAL: Revlefty
Next month when I buy new wheels I plan on also lowering the car but would rather not spend the $550 on the Tokico's right away unless it's absolutely necessary. So, what are the benefits of upgrading the shocks and would it be fine to hold off on them for a few months.
By lowering, you move the shock travel range out of its "sweet spot", so it will not perform as well as it might otherwise (read overly stiff or bouncy - or all of the above depending on how far you go)...

That said, it won't kill anyone to do it later - many people lower the car without changing the shocks ever much less immediately. Unless you are actually racing or sensitve to "tuned" suspension performance, frankly most people in a blind test won't notice IMHO.
That assumes a steeda pro-kit, roush, saleen, frpp level of lowering. If you go "sport-line" then you are far enough to notice it!

At least for the front, it means taking it apart 2x instead of once so there is that to consider...

Assuming you get a front-end alignment if you lower the front regardless.

If you do that nothing will be harmed without the tokico's and it will still be a fun car to drive in the mean time.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:30 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i heard from quite a few people that their stock schoks broke because of lowering
Old 08-16-2006, 11:08 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I drove on my stocked shocks for several months because nobody even had adjustable shocks when I had mine lowered with the Sportline. The ride started to get a little worse over time. You can always add the shocks when the funds permit at a later time but the only draw back to that is you will have to pay for another alignment which cost me $75 at a custom alignment shop.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:32 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Although it is not Necessary I say wait until you can afford the Shock/struts. Why pay or do the labor twice.

Richard
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
My05GT
1st Gear Member

+1

I waited to do both since the work to do the install is a pain in the *ss. Especially the rear. Like someone else said, the stock shocks will take a beating and wear out fast over time.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Wildcat13
1st Gear Member

Don't know about the Stang shocks, but I lowered my previous car (Scion TC) and left the shocks stock. I was told that the only effect would be the shocks would need replacing sooner than normal due to extra strain on them from the lower ride.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:25 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc
i heard from quite a few people that their stock schoks broke because of lowering
Got a thread(s) on that?

That would be rather surprising... wearing out faster yes, but he is planning on replacing them eventually and a 1-1.5" lowering isn't all that extreme - sport-line is another issue - drop it 2" or more and sutff starts to go bad...

But, outright failing?

Tuned shocks used to be a very expensive novelty and people have been cutting, heating, replacing springs without changing shocks for a LOOOONG time... (all but replacing are bad ideas, but that didn't/doesn't stop people)...

Again, it is not ideal for ride/performance - but unless you are talking about ricers who drop the car to the ground and then are baffled when their shock flies through the fender and their frame cracks, I would be rather surprised to hear about many "broken" stock mustang shocks.

As for the rear being difficult - the springs are the hard part once they are done the rear is pretty easy to change shocks...

The front is where you have to duplicate all of your work including the alignment - so amen on holding off if you can...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

I asked this question directly to Eibach. The tech guy said if you get the Pro series that the stock shocks/struts will be fine for a long time (couple years) But if you get anything that lowers more than that, then yes to ugprade everything else. Still probably a good idea to do both at the same time, save money/time in the long run.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:27 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

not at all nessicary. i have been rollin lowered with stock shocks and struts for maybe 7 months. No problems but the ride quality was noticably worse, but sooooooooo much more fun in the corners and looks a hell of a lot better too. GO FOR IT DUDE!

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to add a set of shocks when lowering?