Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else going to convert there GT into a Shelby GT???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 08:31 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone else going to convert there GT into a Shelby GT???

Granted, its his car, he can do whatever he wants, JMO though that a misbadged car is not right.. thats serious loserville to me. Just tells me you cant afford the real thing so you have to fake it. Now if you like a Shelby hood or bumper then fine put it on your car, its yours do whatever the hell you want with it, but dont make it out to be something its not. Its not a Shelby, dont try to pass it off as one. Most people dont make replicas for themselves, they do it to make it look like they have a better car then they actually do. BTW, he did post about Shelby badges, thats the only reason I mentioned it... otherwise a hood or bumper isnt posing, its a style. That would be the same as me putting a Roush bumper on my car.

But for me to go adding their logo or a Roush stage 3 badge is just queer, its not a Roush, and not affiliated with them in any way.. Now if you want to write a letter to Carol Shelby and ask him to certify your replica as a geniuine Shelby and sign the interior dash (which wont ever happen), THEN you can wear appropriate badges. Otherwise leave your badges what they were or change them to something else. Dont be a poser, thats not cool. Yeah.. this is JMO, so take it for what its worth.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:35 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

if hes doing a shelby gt conversion hes not posing. his car will actually be one. its alightly modded gt is all its got 325 or 335 hp? what hes listing is the the shelby gt parts
Exactly, but see his car never will be one. Thats the point. Those cars are registered as a Shelby GT. Its not a regular Mustang GT. If you look the VIN its not going to say Ford Mustang GT, it will say Ford Shelby GT. THAT is the whole reason why IMO its posing. His car isnt a Shelby GT, and it never will be, no matter how much body work he does to it. So why fake it and lie to everyone else saying that you do have one? Why mis-badge the car and be a poser? Is it really worth it to know deep down inside that youre lying to everyone that sees that logo? Is your self esteem that low? Honestly... just leave it a GT and add the parts, no reason to change badging... thats a bad move. Again its JMO, and it wasnt aimed at anyone just a general statement.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:43 PM
USMC_LB

I'm planning on building my own. I've got some good ideas.

First I was going to because FORD built the GT 500 and Carroll wasnt offering anything...

THEN I hear rumors of Carroll Shelby going to release a Mustang ( I was dreaming of a
GT 350 ) but ShelbyAutos.com offers a Mustang with a bunch of Ford Racing bolts on that
has the Shelby name on it.

Call me a poser or not, but I CAN build a better Shelby than the original snake charmer
can these days...

I will build the Shelby that Carroll should have built !

LB

Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Anomalus1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: USMC_LB

I'm planning on building my own. I've got some good ideas.

First I was going to because FORD built the GT 500 and Carroll wasnt offering anything...

THEN I hear rumors of Carroll Shelby going to release a Mustang ( I was dreaming of a
GT 350 ) but ShelbyAutos.com offers a Mustang with a bunch of Ford Racing bolts on that
has the Shelby name on it.

Call me a poser or not, but I CAN build a better Shelby than the original snake charmer
can these days...

I will build the Shelby that Carroll should have built !

LB

would it still be a shelby then if you built a better "shelby" than shelby did? or would it be a "whatever-your-name-is" gt? west coast customs had been given the ok from shelby. you probably won't be given the [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 08-19-2006, 09:02 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I am so sorry..in my opinion i truly only feel that badging a car differently does not make a poser..IF YOU TRY and pass it off as a shelby, different story. Me personally, I did get the GT350 stripes, I just liked the look. I changed My GT badges to a cobra, modified my grille so it has a cobra and GT badge on it.. I will remove my fake gas cap and customize the tail with a blackout panel and a gt badge.....it will have racing stripes.....it has swept spinners....does that make me a poser....or am I a ricer..(previous thread identifying ricers)...who cares...ITS MY CAR....not yours..I just have to enjoy my car and like waht I have...guess what when i go to a restaurant, I order my steak the way I LIKE it....not the way everyone esles does. and if someone tells me that makes me a poser...then guilty as charged.....personally, Individuality does not a poser make....[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42783/CD0344076CF347DE94FFA2C91704C3D7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42783/9FED9D6932DD414AA72802B056708C38.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Anomalus1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

I am so sorry..in my opinion i truly only feel that badging a car differently does not make a poser..IF YOU TRY and pass it off as a shelby, different story. Me personally, I did get the GT350 stripes, I just liked the look. I changed My GT badges to a cobra, modified my grille so it has a cobra and GT badge on it.. I will remove my fake gas cap and customize the tail with a blackout panel and a gt badge.....it will have racing stripes.....it has swept spinners....does that make me a poser....or am I a ricer..(previous thread identifying ricers)...who cares...ITS MY CAR....not yours..I just have to enjoy my car and like waht I have...guess what when i go to a restaurant, I order my steak the way I LIKE it....not the way everyone esles does. and if someone tells me that makes me a poser...then guilty as charged.....personally, Individuality does not a poser make....[IMG][/IMG]

hate to say it, but if someone looks at your car i bet they say or ask "that a shelby?" i doubt that personifies individuality. individuality would quote " i like your car, it's like 'nothing' i've ever seen plus it doesn't remind me of someone else's, nice job." IMO.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:26 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I can not disagree more......how do you figure it looks like a shelby...shleby has ram air hood, shelby rear fake gas cap states GT500 with cobra..mine does not...shleby has different stripes than mine will...shelby different fascia...different grille with cobra to one side.....shelby gt500..shelby does not have flat black spoiler, flat black window louvers....and actually everyone that has seen it, no one has asked is that a shelby, yet said, wow i like the look....again, not passing it off as a shelby, just like the look I am creating....
ORIGINAL: Anomalus1

hate to say it, but if someone looks at your car i bet they say or ask "that a shelby?" i doubt that personifies individuality. individuality would quote " i like your car, it's like 'nothing' i've ever seen plus it doesn't remind me of someone else's, nice job." IMO.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:27 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

also shelby has different wheels etc....

I can not disagree more......how do you figure it looks like a shelby...shleby has ram air hood, shelby rear fake gas cap states GT500 with cobra..mine does not...shleby has different stripes than mine will...shelby different fascia...different grille with cobra to one side.....shelby gt500..shelby does not have flat black spoiler, flat black window louvers....and actually everyone that has seen it, no one has asked is that a shelby, yet said, wow i like the look....again, not passing it off as a shelby, just like the look I am creating....
ORIGINAL: Anomalus1

Old 08-19-2006, 09:56 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Cobra emblems belong only on REAL Mustang Cobras or Shelbys. Anything less is fraud.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Since when are posers and people who mis-badge cars a good thing? Honestly, dont try to make your car out to be something its not, thats lame.
Yeah for some reason no one is sayin dont do it.

there was one thread where a guy wanted to but a gt bumper on his sixer for the exhaust cutouts and immediatley he was flamed.
they said he was a ricer for making his car something it wasnt and a bunch of other ****

Quick Reply: Anyone else going to convert there GT into a Shelby GT???