Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild Mustang Chase

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:56 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wild Mustang Chase

Gota give him props for controlling that car.............................though its not really hard in a 6er [sm=joke.gif]
Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

If I'm not too much mistaken, cops aren't supposed to engage the PIT maneuver at such high speeds. For one, its dangerous.......for the suspect, the cop, and the surrounding public. Secondly, for the reasons you see on the video for yourself..........at higher speeds the car's tireslip when spun allows him to continue manipulating the steering to get the car back on track. At slower speeds, the same maneuver would screech the suspect's car to a near halt.
Well Cops dont always do the right things.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:06 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gbart

im pretty sure it was a v6 to to be honest it was on my news for like i said 2 weeks and they showed close ups after the chase and wreck and if i member right it was a v6. Like i said it happened like 4 miles from my house.
well if you saw the car with close ups on the news thats a bit different than spotting it from a fuzzy chopper cam [8D]
Old 08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

Well my question on this then is why is this only time I've ever seen a high speed PIT maneuver. I've watched dozens and dozens of high speed freeway/highway pursuits on TV and the net.........this is the only time I've seen the PIT maneuver employed at these speeds. And say what you may, but the chase continued despite their multiple attempts at the maneuver. All I'll say, is that if I were a cop in pursuit of such a vehicle at those high speeds, it would be my action of last resort. JMO
After reading your post, I talked with my father again and ask the quesiton you did: is that normal? He agreed with you. He said usually they would try and get two, or three police cars to surround the car, box them in, and all slam on the brakes at once. I asked him about the PIT maneuver, and he said they tried not to employ that unless that had to. The danger the car caused when it spun out, many times was not worth the risk. The only time he would use a PIT maneuver was if he couldn't pass the fleeing car, or the car needed to be stopped NOW and there weren't enough cop cars following to box him in.

I can only theorize, but my guess is the cops decided to bump the mustang because a) They didn't feel confident in their ability to pass/stop the vehicle. b) They had a reason to want the car stopped ASAP. And it turns out it worked (After a couple of times.). No one else was hurt, they got the car stopped, and go their man.