Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5k Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Jas06GT
1st Gear Member

Default 5k Service Question

At 4,100 miles now, have the 5k Service coming up.
What do they normally do?

Just wondering how important it is if it worth throwing on the old air box and replacing factory tune, i'm not really having any problems, wondering if i should blow it off or just go.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:06 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 5k Service Question

I don't plan on letting the dealer monkeys touch my car. I'll do my oil changes myself, thank you very much!

ORIGINAL: Jas06GT

Just wondering how important it is if it worth throwing on the old air box and replacing factory tune, i'm not really having any problems, wondering if i should blow it off or just go.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: GTlust

I don't plan on letting the dealer monkeys touch my car. I'll do my oil changes myself, thank you very much!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Forster Bittner

Oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation, top off fluids.

I re-installed the factory tune. Why give them a reason to deny a warranty claim. In my case of a '06 GT Coupe, the differential was making rubbing noise around slow speed turns, and they replaced the clutch pack as per the TSB. In fact, I haven't even re-flashed to the new tune yet. Go figure.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Jas06GT
1st Gear Member

I plan on changing all my oil ,filter etc.
Thats one reason I was asking, Id like to change it now with Mobil 1.
But I dont want them dumping my 1k mile mobile 1 and dumping in thier crap.

I guess ill, just start going over my car with a fine tooth comb and seeing if there is anything what so ever that needs warranty attention, if not ill blow it off.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:20 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Do the dealerships in the US charge for these service appointments, i.e., 5K, 10K, etc? I'm in Germany and when I took my wife's Stratus to the dealership for the 5K check it cost me close to $300 (all points check and tire rotation). She now has 23K and haven't taken it back. My Mustang has 12K and haven't taken it to the dealer. I've done all the maint myself on both cars.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
ProStang
1st Gear Member

IMOP its a rip off.........

You can check your own fluids and rotate your own tires. I PAY for the tires, why is the dealer so concerned about rotations ?? to make money pure and simple.

I have 10K on my Honda and everytime I take it in the want to rotate the tires. Drives me insane.

Have you ever changed a flat when some grease monkey torqued the wheel on with a impact gun ???

No thanks

If the fronts are wearing strange, something is wrong..............

V/R
Mr. Grease Monkey for the USAF
Old 08-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Change the fluid in the rear end - often times over looked. Use a good synthetic 75W140 with TWO bottles (that's 8 oz) of friction modifier. The factory fluid will have alot of iron particles (it looks like glitter sometimes).
Old 08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
ProStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stooge

Change the fluid in the rear end - often times over looked. Use a good synthetic 75W140 with TWO bottles (that's 8 oz) of friction modifier. The factory fluid will have alot of iron particles (it looks like glitter sometimes).

WHY ???

The rear has full Syn and it good to 100K easy.......... If you beat it send it to the lab.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: Stooge

I've often wondered this same thing from a break-in perspective. Don't mean to change the subject, but I think it applies. Should we have 'em change the rear end fluids after a certain number of miles to get rid of those metal shavings that develop during break-in? Had the oil changed at 2500 and then changed it myself at around 5K, but I'm also wondering if I need to do the rear end too.

Quick Reply: 5k Service Question