Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP QUICK PLEASE Mustang GT vs Miata MX5

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:22 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default NEED HELP QUICK PLEASE Mustang GT vs Miata MX5

Dear All,

I need your adice quickly - I need to decide by tonight - the dealer has a Mustang GT Covertible on hold until tomorrow only.

Story starts when I traded a 1993 jeep for a new 2004 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (red/blk). I loved the car. When the new style came out, i had to have the new model but I liked the coupe + could not afford the converible. I really enjoyed driving the 2006 GT coupe (black/black) but I missed the convertible - guess I am just a convertible person. So I traded the GT coupe for a new Mazda MX5 Miata. It is a convertible and a lot quicker than I expected it to be - it is a lot of fun to drive and I have not read one bad review

Now I have the money to (barely) afford a 2006 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (Silver/Black) for 29959 Out the Door.

I have not slept for 5 nights since i drove the Mustang and asked them to hold it for me but I need to make my decision tonight.

My family and friends have not realyy benn much help - basically the safe answer - It is my decision. mY wife has been very patient and understanding but this is the last time she will let me change cars so it has to stick.

I would really appreciate any comments, feedback experiences, etc to help me make my decision. i will be checking for your help all night.

Please Help - any advise or comments are appreciated except any chick car/gay references)
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP QUICK PLEASE Mustang GT vs Miata MX5

simple freudian indicator here. You didn't register yourself as Miaster06.

I say do what you want, damn the repercussions, but my GUESS would be, you'd enjoy the Mustang more.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:43 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

don't take it the wrong way, but the miata is a chick car. yeah it's fun to drive and all (I know because I drove one for 5 years, a black '95). but at the end of the day, it's a chick car.

get the mustang. no doubt about it.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:52 PM
outpost77
1st Gear Member

It's a no brainer IMHO. Go with the Stang. You can throw a Miata in the trunk in place of the spare later if you still have the urge to drive one.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paco_pony

don't take it the wrong way, but the miata is a chick car. yeah it's fun to drive and all (I know because I drove one for 5 years, a black '95). but at the end of the day, it's a chick car.

get the mustang. no doubt about it.

+1 a Miata is a little on the fruity side...... I do like the new saturn sky though...So that might make me a fruit... I havnt decided yet...

[sm=trust_me.gif]
Old 08-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: stangster06

Dear All,

I need your adice quickly - I need to decide by tonight - the dealer has a Mustang GT Covertible on hold until tomorrow only.

Story starts when I traded a 1993 jeep for a new 2004 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (red/blk). I loved the car. When the new style came out, i had to have the new model but I liked the coupe + could not afford the converible. I really enjoyed driving the 2006 GT coupe (black/black) but I missed the convertible - guess I am just a convertible person. So I traded the GT coupe for a new Mazda MX5 Miata. It is a convertible and a lot quicker than I expected it to be - it is a lot of fun to drive and I have not read one bad review

Now I have the money to (barely) afford a 2006 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (Silver/Black) for 29959 Out the Door.

I have not slept for 5 nights since i drove the Mustang and asked them to hold it for me but I need to make my decision tonight.

My family and friends have not realyy benn much help - basically the safe answer - It is my decision. mY wife has been very patient and understanding but this is the last time she will let me change cars so it has to stick.

I would really appreciate any comments, feedback experiences, etc to help me make my decision. i will be checking for your help all night.

Please Help - any advise or comments are appreciated except any chick car/gay references)
There's your answer. Barely is not a good financial decision. I can never understand people that stretch themselves for a car. It's a liability not an asset.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:29 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default WOW!!! RE: NEED HELP QUICK PLEASE Mustang GT vs Miata MX5

Wow - all of your responses have been great! I have been on this forum when I owned my 2004 GT Convertible and 2006 GT Coupe and everyone is great! - You really understand what I am going through and have helped me more than my friends/family. I am very greatful.

If you have not driven a 2006 (NC) Miata (or MX5) now, you really owe it to yourself, especially if you are a convertible person like me (btw - the 2005 Mustang GT is the only coupe I would ever consider driving/owning). The car has been completely redisigned like the Mustang in 2005. Anyone who knows cars will tell you it is not a chicks car. I have not read ONE negative review for it and it has beaten the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky on everything but "styling".

From my current perspective:

My Pluses (+) for the Miata (MX5) are:

- Great top design - manual but goes up/down in 3 seconds.
- Fun to drive (reminds me of my first new car - an Alfa Romeo Spyder 1986)
- It is surprisingly quick and revs freely to 5 -6000 RPM with good torque.
- Gas mileage is great - maybe $10 max per week vs $20 min for the Mustang GTs I had)
- Payments - It (the Miata) costs me $314 per months in payments right now - traded in my 2006 Mustang GT Premium Coupe with 1800 miles - got $23500 in trade and got the Miata for a good price. I have a Mustang GT Convertible Premium on hold for $29959 "out the door" at a dealer but must let them know by tomorrow or they will put it up for sale. This (the new Mustang GT vert) would cost me about $100 per month more in payments, $3800 cash down and $300 per year more for insurance. btw - I think my wife is OK with this.
- I am 47 years old

Pluses for the 2006 Mustang GT Vert (silver/black Premium):

- It is a Mustang
- It has 300 HP
- It is a MUSTANG
- Good out the door price
- It is a MUSTANG GT Convertible

As you can see this is a very emotional decision - am I a "roadster man" or a Mustang man? (I know I am a convertible man)

Please keep sending any feedback as i must make this decision by tomorrow.

Thanks and best wishes to all who help me.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Leighky
1st Gear Member

Do you still owe on the miata? I'm not sure exactly how that works. Are you gonna be losing more money because of that?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:40 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Don't let your emotions get the best of you on this... it sounds like affording the Mustang is going to be a stretch. If it is a stretch financially, then DON'T get the Mustang. Stay in the Miata until more of it is paid off, then switch. Convertible Mustang GTs are always going to be there - don't put yourself in a jam because you "have to have one now!" Wait a bit.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:50 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

IMO, the only Mazda even worth getting is the RX-8... and even then Id take a Mustang over it any day.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP QUICK PLEASE Mustang GT vs Miata MX5