Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert Rear emblem to a Real Filler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:42 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Convert Rear emblem to a Real Filler?

Tha is a really nice collection.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:50 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

ORIGINAL: jdback19

Burn!!
Literally...ouch......[sm=badbadbad.gif]

I like the rear fake gas cap....looks good on my car It kinda brings attention to the center of the car since everything else is blacked out...

[IMG]local://upfiles/33890/190D688D29314FB8943A30DC6C1D65A0.jpg[/IMG]
Time to take a razor blade to that dealership sticker I did that like.. a few days after I got the car lol
Old 08-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Fellini 8.5

I'm torn over this seemingly simple issue.

On of the first things I've considered was the full blackout panel that replaced the fake cap. I really want to minimize emblems, chrome and "fake" parts, and this strikes out on all three counts (spinners, too... :P )

But... That round shape balances with the taillights, heck, the whole shape of the rear end. The full blackout look seems to remove that unique quality about it, at least in the pics I've seen.

I'm toying with the thought of a circular, bevelled, black or dark-metallic, but otherwise plain (though slick) replacement that's the same size as the "cap". I'll have to spend a few hours with trusty ol' photoshop though, to see if I can get something to look right. *sigh*

(my vert is silver, so for darker colors, a lighter contrasting color would probably be more appropriate...)

Old 08-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

What's with all the hate towards flamed paint jobs? Man, flame jobs are the one timeless feature on hot rods that have lived on for at least half a century without EVER going out of style!! Flames rock! Fairlane, your car looks killer!

On the rear emblem, I've never really viewed it as a fake gas cap so much as just an emblem. The whole idea back in the 60's was they were trying to make the gas cap go away, they centered it under the trunk and put that decorative medallion over it so that it WOULDN'T look like a gas cap. Ford wasn't the only company doing it, Mercury even hid it under a cover that looked like it was part of the taillights and Pontiac hid it behind a flip down license plate bracket (infinitely amusing when you got a new attendant at the "filling station" . I like it just like it is, I think it looks cool!
Old 08-26-2006, 06:03 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

What's with all the hate towards flamed paint jobs? Man, flame jobs are the one timeless feature on hot rods that have lived on for at least half a century without EVER going out of style!! Flames rock! Fairlane, your car looks killer!

On the rear emblem, I've never really viewed it as a fake gas cap so much as just an emblem. The whole idea back in the 60's was they were trying to make the gas cap go away, they centered it under the trunk and put that decorative medallion over it so that it WOULDN'T look like a gas cap. Ford wasn't the only company doing it, Mercury even hid it under a cover that looked like it was part of the taillights and Pontiac hid it behind a flip down license plate bracket (infinitely amusing when you got a new attendant at the "filling station" . I like it just like it is, I think it looks cool!
Yeah I actually like the idea of hiding it like they did back in the day. I just like the smooth look of the rear fender without it.. I think I like the Pontiac idea the best though, I saw one driving down the street the other day with the license plate down and the gas cap laying on top of it lol.. apparently he was in a rush to leave the station and he forgot to put everything back.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:24 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Thanks man. The rear cap looks fine (wished it was functional but that wasn't gong to happen for low price point on the mustang); with the rear lock being seen less and less on new cars I simply wanted to eliminate both; knowing I could return them easily. If I didn't do metal fabrication myself I doubt very much I would have this done. Some folks like to add a lot of body components, some think "less is more"; hey to each there own.

Decklid emblem is fine; might just put mine back on tomorrow (lol);

BTW, are you considering a chin spoiler?

I'll tell ya what I would love to do is a TRed vert with a "factory looking" white leather int. ...need more garage space :-)
Old 08-26-2006, 06:30 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

When Overhaulin did the nurse's 05 stang, they removed the decklid cap and lock and then actually took the side fuel door and flattened out the small lip where you pull it open. ...talk about "smoothening to an extreme". Think that nurse or her hubby even noticed that?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

If you just want to get rid of the gas door, then simply place the filler in the trunk and have the gas door shaved. When you need gas just pop the trunk and people will think you're crazy filling your trunk with gas. Making the rear emblem a gas filler isn't practical, but i'm sure it can be done if you want to throw enough money at it.

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Yeah I actually like the idea of hiding it like they did back in the day. I just like the smooth look of the rear fender without it.. I think I like the Pontiac idea the best though, I saw one driving down the street the other day with the license plate down and the gas cap laying on top of it lol.. apparently he was in a rush to leave the station and he forgot to put everything back.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:09 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

If you just want to get rid of the gas door, then simply place the filler in the trunk and have the gas door shaved. When you need gas just pop the trunk and people will think you're crazy filling your trunk with gas. Making the rear emblem a gas filler isn't practical, but i'm sure it can be done if you want to throw enough money at it.

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Yeah, Im sure there are ways around it.. Im not that concerned with it at this point and if I ever do anything to it, then it will be a ways down the road, after Ive done everything else I want to do lol.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:44 PM
tsaints1115
1st Gear Member

I was under the car during the last oil change,moving the filler to the trunck is doable. If you wanted to make the emblem functional it could be done but would require alot of work.