Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to run foglights and high beams at the same time??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:13 AM
2nd II None
2nd Gear Member

Default How to run foglights and high beams at the same time??

I tried searching but did not coming up with anything. Is there a simple way to run the foglights and high beams on at the same time? I know when I had my 05 Jetta GLI =X, i had to bend one tab and I was able to run both at the same time..All and any info will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-30-2006, 01:17 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How to run foglights and high beams at the same time??

I dont think it lets you. You would to create some sort of wiring kit i think. But i dont know
Old 08-30-2006, 01:39 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

I did this with my Mazda3 hatchback, what I had to do was to splice into the Hot wire for the Fog lights, then run a wire to the fuse box where I tapped into the fuse for the Fog lights, then ran a wire to an empty slot in the fuse box, and another wire from the fuse to the emptly slot, then it worked! high beams and fogs... plus the fuse for the fog lights was a relay as well, so whenever i shut off my car, the lights would stay on for 5 seconds, then shut off by itself... it was neat.. hehe.. but im sure its the same way... someone will find a way...
Old 09-01-2006, 03:06 PM
ProStang
1st Gear Member

WHY ??
Sure way to get a ticket.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:26 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ProStang

WHY ??
Sure way to get a ticket.

Theres a law saying you cant run fogs and high beams at the same time? And idk but... I only use my highs when people arent around anyways.....
Old 09-01-2006, 10:35 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

I know with Jeeps you can get around it by bending one of the pins on the relay, i wonder if you can do the same thing with mustangs.

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...pic.php?t=2915
Old 09-01-2006, 10:39 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

opps just notices you must be a member to view this post. So here it is.

Fog Light Relay Conversion

Update: This 6-step writeup has been performed on a 2001, a 2002, 2003, and a 2004 TJ and has worked properly on all 4 year models.

Legal Notice: in some states (it may be a Federal law?) having high-beams and foglights concurrently operating is for off-road use only and may also be illegal. However, if you don't leave both high-beams and foglights to blind oncoming traffic, you should be fine. It is my belief that this decision should be left up to me and not decided for me by the manufacturer and/or government.

If you have the factory fog lights in your TJ, you may have noticed that they will only work if your headlights are in low-beam only. To test this, while parked facing a wall at night, turn on your low-beams and your fog lights. Now switch to your high-beams. Your fog lights turned off didn't they? Well, there are situations I have run into in which I needed both high-beam and my fog lights and I couldn't do that due to this factory-flawed "bonus feature."

This is probably the easiest and least expensive mod there could possibly be for your Jeep. This entire project took only two minutes (this estimate includes opening/closing the hood), and this requires only a pair of pliers to complete the job (although you might even be able to do it with your fingers!).

* Open the hood
* Locate the main fuse box (passenger side, just forward of the battery)
* Open main fuse box
* Pull the fog light relay (the diagram in the fuse box lid should have it listed)
* While looking at the 5 pins of the relay, bend ONLY the pin as shown as the upper left pin (Pin #1 in the FSM) in the photo below. Leave the other four pins alone.
* Put the relay back in place and close up the fuse box, YOU'RE DONE!

[IMG]local://upfiles/43996/E3C10913758248F992774CB5E10D81F4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2006, 10:54 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I was not aware this was different on the U.S. cars. Mine allows me to have the fog lamps and the high beams on at the same time. Different laws I guess.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:06 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I wasnt either... seems kind of stupid as long as youre not using them to blind people, which you can be given a ticket in alot of states simply for driving with highbeams on into oncoming traffic. Im gonna have to do this, because I as well would like more light... roads here get very very dark at night since there arent street lights, and theyre really windy...
Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Has anyone tried this yet on our cars?

Quick Reply: How to run foglights and high beams at the same time??