Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket bullits. Quality? Hubcentric???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:57 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default Aftermarket bullits. Quality? Hubcentric???

Hey guys.

I am starting to shop around for a set of 18" wheels to run snows on this winter. Probably going to be a bullit style wheel, not 100% set on that yet. More than likely gray with a polished or machined lip. Want to stay 18" year round as our winters are usually pretty mild and I usually will use another car in the real nasty weather. Also, there is a possiblity I might do a shelby brake kit on the front, so maybe with spacers the 18" bullits stand a chance at fitting where as the 17" wheels dont have a prayer.

The easy (safe) way to go is just pick up a set of the ford factory gray 18x8.5 bullit wheels. Same ones I have except painted instead of polished.

But some of the aftermarket ones look pretty nice and are about the same price so I am sort of considering those as well. How is the quality of the imported wheels??
Are they hubcentric??

Any ballance, rubbing or fitment problems, spacers, etc??

Are the polished lips clear powdercoated like the factory wheels so salt will not pit the crap out of them??

Thanks
Nick
Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Aftermarket bullits. Quality? Hubcentric???

bump.......
Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

All you guys with deep dish wheels and no one knows if they are hubcentric or not??
Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

OK! No, the factory nor the aftermarkets are hub-centric. If you go aftermarket you need to check the mounting face. If there are no reliefs around the back-side of the lug holes you'll need to remove all the rotor retaining nuts on the car or you'll have centering issues.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

I got mine on ebay, made by wheel replicas.
Quality was far better than expected. I am happy with mine.
Still look great, balanced well, etc.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Daniel06GT
3rd Gear Member

I have my 18X10 bullit DD and they fit perfectly no rubbing balancing was easy, just like any other wheel just looks better

-DG
Old 08-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

Check ebay, you can get all sorts of cheap rims for what you need.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:17 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

OK! No, the factory nor the aftermarkets are hub-centric. If you go aftermarket you need to check the mounting face. If there are no reliefs around the back-side of the lug holes you'll need to remove all the rotor retaining nuts on the car or you'll have centering issues.
You may be right but that is kinda tough to believe. I personally have never seen a factory wheel that wasent hubcentric. All 17" mustang wheels were at least on the 99-04. I know this because mopar guys need to bore out the center hub on ford wheels a minimal amount to compensate for the slightly larger mopar centerbore on the wheels.

Cheap would be nice but really isnt an issue with the 18" considering the small price difference between OE and aftermarket.

Looks like I can get the FRPP 18x8.5 painted bullets in black or argent for about 575-600 +del with new pony centercaps.

Considering the aftermarket bullits in 18x9 gray or black are in the low to mid 500 range + del without ford centers, not much of a difference there.

I think it comes down to the style and the quality. The ford wheels are a known quantity. But the deep dish wheels certainly have a nice look to them. I still have to find out if the lip is clear coated on the aftermarket ones. Salt does a job on raw aluminum and all the factory wheels are completely clear powdercoated which is nice on a driver.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:29 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I know people with the deep dish Bullitts and they have no issues. But yes, even the stockers are not hub-centric. Take off the lug nuts and hold the wheel on the hub. Then move it up and down/side to side and you'll notice about 1/8" or so of play. This is why almost all lug nuts these days are tapered.

I went crazy trying to get my wheels balanced and centered until I removed the rotor nuts!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:08 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Guess I will find out soon enough.

This is why almost all lug nuts these days are tapered.

Since when were they not tapered??

The only non tapered seat lug nuts I know of were aftermarket mag lugs such as cragars. Most all new cars have hubcetric wheels, it is very strange if the new stang doesent.

The weight of the car is supposed to be on the hub, not the studs. Regardless of the lug style.

Not saying you are wrong here. But having grown up in a shop enviroment and worked on countless cars. 99% of cars with factory wheels are hubcentric.