Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to run foglights and high beams at the same time??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:49 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How to run foglights and high beams at the same time??

Yes I have noticed that in really dark neighborhoods, even with the fog lights on I can't see too far down the road! I just wish the action when flicking from Brights to no brights was smootherand shorter. Anyone notice a difference from the ease of foriegn car's brights?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:45 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

So you posted this for who, Jeep owners? I don't see the relavance, or is the relay the same as the mustang setup? Please clarify. I don't want to mess anything up if this is not going to work on the mustang. Anyone else know if this will work, I'm confused why this was posted, unless it will work.
No offense!

ORIGINAL: siggy14

opps just notices you must be a member to view this post. So here it is.

Fog Light Relay Conversion

Update: This 6-step writeup has been performed on a 2001, a 2002, 2003, and a 2004 TJ and has worked properly on all 4 year models.

Legal Notice: in some states (it may be a Federal law?) having high-beams and foglights concurrently operating is for off-road use only and may also be illegal. However, if you don't leave both high-beams and foglights to blind oncoming traffic, you should be fine. It is my belief that this decision should be left up to me and not decided for me by the manufacturer and/or government.

If you have the factory fog lights in your TJ, you may have noticed that they will only work if your headlights are in low-beam only. To test this, while parked facing a wall at night, turn on your low-beams and your fog lights. Now switch to your high-beams. Your fog lights turned off didn't they? Well, there are situations I have run into in which I needed both high-beam and my fog lights and I couldn't do that due to this factory-flawed "bonus feature."

This is probably the easiest and least expensive mod there could possibly be for your Jeep. This entire project took only two minutes (this estimate includes opening/closing the hood), and this requires only a pair of pliers to complete the job (although you might even be able to do it with your fingers!).

* Open the hood
* Locate the main fuse box (passenger side, just forward of the battery)
* Open main fuse box
* Pull the fog light relay (the diagram in the fuse box lid should have it listed)
* While looking at the 5 pins of the relay, bend ONLY the pin as shown as the upper left pin (Pin #1 in the FSM) in the photo below. Leave the other four pins alone.
* Put the relay back in place and close up the fuse box, YOU'RE DONE!

[IMG]local://upfiles/43996/E3C10913758248F992774CB5E10D81F4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

I was just posting to show there are ways around this kind of setup, i am sure mustang has close to the same thing somewhere along the line. I will defintly have to be a relay, the most you can do is trial and error, I would find the relay that controls the lights, purchase a few extra and try experimenting, you will need the original working order relay to work normaly to pass inspection anyway.

ORIGINAL: BeeStang

So you posted this for who, Jeep owners? I don't see the relavance, or is the relay the same as the mustang setup? Please clarify. I don't want to mess anything up if this is not going to work on the mustang. Anyone else know if this will work, I'm confused why this was posted, unless it will work.
No offense!

ORIGINAL: siggy14

opps just notices you must be a member to view this post. So here it is.

Fog Light Relay Conversion

Update: This 6-step writeup has been performed on a 2001, a 2002, 2003, and a 2004 TJ and has worked properly on all 4 year models.

Legal Notice: in some states (it may be a Federal law?) having high-beams and foglights concurrently operating is for off-road use only and may also be illegal. However, if you don't leave both high-beams and foglights to blind oncoming traffic, you should be fine. It is my belief that this decision should be left up to me and not decided for me by the manufacturer and/or government.

If you have the factory fog lights in your TJ, you may have noticed that they will only work if your headlights are in low-beam only. To test this, while parked facing a wall at night, turn on your low-beams and your fog lights. Now switch to your high-beams. Your fog lights turned off didn't they? Well, there are situations I have run into in which I needed both high-beam and my fog lights and I couldn't do that due to this factory-flawed "bonus feature."

This is probably the easiest and least expensive mod there could possibly be for your Jeep. This entire project took only two minutes (this estimate includes opening/closing the hood), and this requires only a pair of pliers to complete the job (although you might even be able to do it with your fingers!).

* Open the hood
* Locate the main fuse box (passenger side, just forward of the battery)
* Open main fuse box
* Pull the fog light relay (the diagram in the fuse box lid should have it listed)
* While looking at the 5 pins of the relay, bend ONLY the pin as shown as the upper left pin (Pin #1 in the FSM) in the photo below. Leave the other four pins alone.
* Put the relay back in place and close up the fuse box, YOU'RE DONE!

[IMG]local://upfiles/43996/E3C10913758248F992774CB5E10D81F4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I once saw a post that said you cut one of the contact tabs off the relay to do this, but I don't remember how it was done. Sorry
Old 09-04-2006, 07:36 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

I once saw a post that said you cut one of the contact tabs off the relay to do this, but I don't remember how it was done. Sorry
Try and remember something that was said in the post then search for it

siggy, how much are these relays? I havent been able to find any at autozone.. will I have to buy them from the dealer?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:33 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

I am not sure, never purchased a second relay for my jeep and sold it before the inspection time, I would assume do a search on the web.

But honestly, your best bet before you go blowing up your car is find a schematic of the light system and have a electronic tech look at it and he should be able to tell you how to bypass the fog light over ride with brights on.