Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just changed my oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:21 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default Just changed my oil

Probably overkill at 1600 miles, but who knows what got in there at the factory. For anyone changing their oil for the first time you might want to get an oil filter wrench! That thing was so tight I was beginning to doubt the righty tighty rule. I had to jack the car as high as possible and get right under neath it with two hands to get it to budge. I'm glad I actually have muscle instead of just a muscle car or I'd still be wrestling with that sucka. It only took 6 qts. for those wondering, someone said 6 1/2, but that would put mine a bit over. I've never had a vehicle that called for 5w20 and i must say it's a very light oil. I'm surprised how loose the oil drain plug was compared to the filter.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

I'm planning to change it again at 5k and go with mobil 1 full synthetic, this time I used vavoline durablend with the motorcraft filter. The oil felt very clean with a nice dark tea color, seamed like such a waste. I hoping the mobil 1 will last atleast 7500 miles, but i'm planning to change the filter every 3000.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:19 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just changed my oil

I got you beat on the oil change paranoia. I changed mine at 600 kms, again at 1200, again at 2500 and then went to 5000 km intervals. You never know how clean the engine assembly plant is and I just wanted to be absolutely sure I got all the crap that might have been in the engine from the factory.
In regards to the tightness of the oil filter. I install mine as tight as I can get with one hand and I always have to use a filter wrench to remove it. Engine heat tends to cause it to tighten the rest of the way.
The service info states the engine takes 6 liters (liter is almost the same as a US quart)
The engine uses a light 5w20 oil because it has wider bearings with tighter clearances to reduce friction. Lighter oil is easier for the oil pump to move therefore takes less hp to operate so unless an engine has oil burning problems or it is run it continuous high rpm never go with heavier oil than what the factory recommends.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:03 PM
giovani13
1st Gear Member

I waited till 5,000 mi. per the manual. I've heard horror stories about engines not breaking in correctly because the first oil change was done too soon. Maybe a load of you know what, but seems makes sence.

My first oil change required me to drill a hole in the filter, stick a screw driver in it and turn just to loosen it! I had no oil wrench! I went with Royal Purple and a K&N filter which has the thing on the end so you can remove it with a socket. Not to mention used the old rule of thumb when installing the filter...once the seal touches, hand tighten to 3/4 more turn at most.

Mikey
Old 09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

I change every 3,000 miles using Royal Purple synthetic oil, Tufoil engine treatment, and K&N oil filter.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:36 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I never heard of this royal purple stuff until coming to this forum. I think changing any full synthetic every 3k miles is overkill, just change the filter and save yourself some time and money.
ORIGINAL: callahan

I change every 3,000 miles using Royal Purple synthetic oil, Tufoil engine treatment, and K&N oil filter.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Changing the oil after break-in between 600 and 2000 miles is the BEST thing you can do for your new engine.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: giovani13

I waited till 5,000 mi. per the manual. I've heard horror stories about engines not breaking in correctly because the first oil change was done too soon. Maybe a load of you know what, but seems makes sence.

I smell BS on that one also. 1-1.5K mi is suggested simply due to production. You want to clean out any and all debris, metal shavings, etc from within. But then after that oil change to go by regular mileage. 3K or however much the manual might suggest.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:52 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

i am with you guys on the oil change overachieving. I've got 2500 miles and changed it twice.

and you aren't kidding about that oil filter! even with an oil filter wrench it took me forever cuz it's so dam cramped under there it's tricky to even get the wrench on the filter! (course I'm mechanically disinclined so that had something to do with it)

Old 09-05-2006, 03:10 PM
07stangGrl
2nd Gear Member

I got YALL beat on the oil change, My sweetie is **** about oil changes and new cars or any cars, he changed mine at 350 miles said there is all kinda crap that can get in it.. And he will change it every 3000 miles just like he does all of our cars. Garage looks like a motor oil store LOL Anytime he sees oil on sale that we use he buys a case of it.. 4 cars 4 diffrent oils so boxes boxes everywhere..[&:] Good thing we have a 3 car garage..
Btw he is just **** about cars LOL, You should see the man wash a car Good GAWD Maticulis! Get this, Even bought a leaf blower to blow off the xcess water in the cracks of the car so when you are finished drying it the water wont keep leaking out or water drips. LOL I do have to say IT works... And has special towels and wash gloves for each car... NOW tell me that is not a picky man..?[sm=smiley9.gif]

But I also want to say we have some of the Cleanest, Healthest cars in town hehe...
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

FoMoCo's owners manual says every 5000mi. Now, why would anyone want to go against their recommendation ? They certainly don't want engine failure, and they designed and built the engine. The oil companies WANT you to throw good oil away, it's better business for them.
Also, after reading the OM, I discovered that using oil additives will void engine warranties.