Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new camaro vs gt500?

Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 AM
McChicken
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: new camaro vs gt500?

Haha, Motor Trend. You just couldn't wait, could you?

Instead of actually waiting for some concrete data to be released, they have to fabricate an entire computer simulation based on unconfirmed specs and plug it into their Super Motor Trend Computer. I guess they have to sell those magazines somehow.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

There is also a Shelby GT500 KR(King of the Road) edition that hasn't been confirmed. Supposed to be N/A power plant strapped with a good blower.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:56 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

well, didnt people speculate the new stangs to have like 400hp?

all these numbers are based on almost nothing, because we know how much the concepts of any car change

in case you dont remember
http://www.diseno-art.com/encycloped...d_mustang.html

edit: i wish they kept that hood from the concept

both the mustang concept and camaro concept have that gay plastic all over the engine bay. nothing but european cars actually come like that, and it wont stick around. I wonder why they waste the time, especially with a performance car. I wanna get at the engine man!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Go figure that Motor Trend would put in an article hyping up yet another GM rip-off of every other company out there. Motor Trend has been up GM's butt since I stopped my subscription 7 years ago. The like GM, Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes, that's about it. They're starting to include a few more auto makers now, but they hate Ford, always have and always will with the staff they have. So don't hold out hope on any article Motor Trend puts out.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

The Challenger is being built on the Chrysler 300/ Dodge Charger chassis. That means it will be big and it will be heavy. I saw one at the Dallas Auto Show and was struck by just how large the thing is. There's a lot of hype about all the hemi options it will get, but even the "mighty" Charger SRT8 (with the 425 hp hemi) will barely hang with a Mustang because it's such a fata$$. It's a great sedan and has amazing performance for as heavy as it is, but with 425 hp you'd think it would tromp all over the Mustang. But the Mustang is an intake and tune away from showing the SRT8 its taillights. I think we can expect about the same performance out of the Challenger.

The Camaro concept is a great looking car, I also saw it at the Dallas Auto Show. But what I saw was a concept/ show car, there was almost nothing on it that was production-ready. Any performance guesses based on that concept are laughable because the production version will be lucky to even bear a resemblance to the concept.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:15 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

How about the Starship Enterprise v.s. the GT 500 since it doesn't exist either.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Now you're talking I don't know about the Enterprise versus Shelby, but Captain Kirk could kick Carroll's butt for sure and bag a couple of green alien babes while he's at it [sm=alien.gif]
Old 09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I read that the first year, Challenger will be a high end version with automatic transmission only. They will not make a V6 version or some such until they see how it goes over. I believe that the Challenger is the truest retro from a looks standpoint. Our S197's are the best retro yet IMHO, but they don't look exactly like one particular Mustang of the past. They are close enough in all areas to look like an old Mustang of some unknown year, and that's all great. The Challenger looks much closer to an original model of any of the retros yet, the MINI Cooper included, which looks a LOT like the original MINI.

The Camaro AFAIC gets a VERY low score for retro look. Yes it has some similarity to a 67 through 69 Camaro, but similarity and a few styling ques is as far as it goes. As far as performance of the Camaro, I expect that there will be a few models built with a zillion HP Vette engine, but most will be with a V6 just as most 05 to date Mustangs.

My $0.02,
Old 09-07-2006, 11:55 AM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

The GT500 and a C6 with the LT1 package are very close in performance, I do not think GM will sell a Camaro with better performance than the vette... It will need to compete with the stang so look for performance close to or a little better than a GT... Later on the will probably release an SS with close to Corvette performance...

That is ok, right now my car takes them all... And by the time the Camaro comes out I will have my new block and 650 RWHP...
Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 PM
MUSTloveSTANG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MBDiagMan

I read that the first year, Challenger will be a high end version with automatic transmission only. They will not make a V6 version or some such until they see how it goes over. I believe that the Challenger is the truest retro from a looks standpoint. Our S197's are the best retro yet IMHO, but they don't look exactly like one particular Mustang of the past. They are close enough in all areas to look like an old Mustang of some unknown year, and that's all great. The Challenger looks much closer to an original model of any of the retros yet, the MINI Cooper included, which looks a LOT like the original MINI.

The Camaro AFAIC gets a VERY low score for retro look. Yes it has some similarity to a 67 through 69 Camaro, but similarity and a few styling ques is as far as it goes. As far as performance of the Camaro, I expect that there will be a few models built with a zillion HP Vette engine, but most will be with a V6 just as most 05 to date Mustangs.

My $0.02,
+1

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new camaro vs gt500?