Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

l:Old School Concept Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:20 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: l:Old School Concept Opinions Wanted

We are talking looks, cosmetics, not function. I think some 15 inch centerlines with white letter tires would look much better.

ORIGINAL: MikeVistaBlue06

ORIGINAL: moosestang

First you need to get rid of those 18 inch rims, there was no such thing in 1968.
Nor was their computer control, electronically controlled fuel injection, unleaded fuel, catalytic converters, airbags, etc.

I mention airbags because...see pix below:

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/28317/FBCDD031B70F419F83D5BE855F9BB70E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

No you won't see redlines on classic Mustangs today, but that does not mean that they were not on many of those cars when new. The redline tires were a short lived FAD. By the mid seventies, they were completely a thing of the past except for the restorers who would get them from the companies that sell vintage tires.

For the red stripe seen in the original post to be accurate, the red stripe must be further out from the rim to look as they did in the sixties. The stripe was closer to the outside diameter of the tire than it was to the rim.

Just as a history lesson, a tire called the "Wide Oval" was what led to the red stripe tires. The Wide Ovals appeared about 1966 or 1967. In those days the tire size designations made little sense. With modern tire sizes you can use the numbers to actually calculate the height and width of the tire, not so then. Since tires were about 3 or 4 inches wide, the "Wide Oval" was probably 5 inches wide, but to us then, it looked like it was a foot wide by comparison.

The first Wide Ovals had a thin white stripe, rather than a much wider white stripe which had been seen for the previous five years or so. Before the narrow white stripe were wide white stripes. The white walls of the forties and fifties were white that reached from the rim almost all the way to the tread. Throughout the fifties, the white portion kept getting narrower and narrower, then the narrow stripe with black between it and the rim, then the red stripe, on up 'til today where whitewalls are almost entirely non existent.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:30 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

I'm with ya bro! That to me is Fords biggest mistake, I so hate the door latch on my rear fender.

ORIGINAL: Agleon

I want the Mustangs to have the Fuel door in the back.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:54 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

The filler being on the side of car is for safety issues.....besides crash worthiness, the filler neck would be exposed in the trunk area.....can you say "Pinto" again. With cars having "crumple zones", that rear mounted filler location would take brunt of collision. Can you say inferno? On the subject of "retro-ing" a "retro" car you'd have to put some sort of side stripe on the tires, maybe you should check out some "lowrider" type publications, there's a place to get striped larger diameter tires, not sure what color the stripes might be though. I don't think 15" wheels(certain types) will clear the GT's front brakes..so you're on your own if you want a "certain" look. I think the cars look retro enough......I'd just buy a vintage Mustang if I wanted that particular look.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:59 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I like my old school approach! Can't see any picture in the first post though.