Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an extended Warranty Worth the Money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
njjon

Default Is an extended Warranty Worth the Money?

I order a new 2007 GT and currently waiting for it to arrive. My question is regarding an extended warranty. Does anyone feel that it is necessary to buy an extended warranty? I believe the car comes with a 3 year, 36,000 Mi bumper to bumper and a 5 year, 60,000 power and drive warranty. I do not plan on driving the GT for everyday use, rather more of a fun and weekend car. In the past I have bought extended warranties for my other vehicles and some have paid for themself and others were just a waste.

So, in your opinion, is an extended warranty worth the money?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:39 PM
03truebluegt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is an extended Warranty Worth the Money?

I think it definitely is. You really don't want to chance it if somthing happens. I have an extended warrenty through a different company other than Ford and they are great. They take care of everything other than Brake pads and clutch. They so far have replaced two tie-rods and the syncro's in my tranny are starting to act up so they will be taking care of that as well.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 PM
MachRanger
1st Gear Member

I disagree. When you purchase an extended dealer warantee you are forfeiting the factory warantee that's included in the price of the car. The dealer tries their best to lead you to believe it's a good deal. However, it depends mainly on how much you plan on driving your car. If you put a minimal amount of miles on the car then the factory warantee (which is essentially free) is the way to go. However if you plan on racking up the miles quickly then the extended is better. I would seriously recomend running the numbers before you shell out a grand or more for not that much coverage. Good luck bud.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Extended warranties are a big waste of money for you. Your biggest problems are most likely to surface under the factory warranty. You are betting you'll have problems, the dealership that sells the deal is betting you won't. These plans are big money makers for the dealers. They would not offer them if they were losing on them. Take the money you'd spend on these plans and bank it for any repairs you'll need out of warranty. I'm betting you'll be money ahead.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:54 PM
CurtX
1st Gear Member

Maybe if you were one of the lucky few who got the free extended 5 year warranties, then an additional purchased warranty might be a waste. But if you are like the majority of us who got only the free 3 year warranty, then an extendend warranty is likely wise to have. Sure, most people don't experience anything major within 3 years. But after 3 years, you can almost count on it. Especially with Fords.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

Statistically, ANY extended warranty that someone wants to sell you is ALWAYS a gamble in favor of the warranty company. That means that most of the time you will LOOSE MONEY on the warranty.

That is how the warranty companies make money. If this wasn't true, then nobody would offer to sell you such a warranty.

If doesn't matter if the warranty was "cheap" or a "good deal". If you paid money for it, then the odds are against you.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:44 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I agree with just about everything said here but I have a similar situation meaning that with limited driving (partly because of weather here), the 3yr 36 is way out of balance for me, weighted such that 3 yeras will occur long before 36,000mi. So for $500 I went 36,000, 5years. For me thats $250 for year four and $250 for year 5. So what I have is a full bumper to bumper warranty for 5 years and it cost me $500. Considering the car only cost $24900 on
x-plan. ...a bargain anyway... what was $500? If I never have an issue that's fine. I consider that better than an issue with warranty support; so I won't feel bad if nothing goes wrong in year 4 and 5. I like this arrangement but to each their own situation, financials, etc.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:55 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

my car was 17k, i got the 1.9 for 60 and i got a 6 year 75000 mile bumper to bumper extended with 100 dollar deductible. I figured first of all, im paying the car off for that long might as well have a warranty, and somethings bound to break worth a thousand bux in the course of 6 years. This was 900 bux and was financed in along with the tax and no down payment or nothing. The monthly dues went up like 20 bux more a month but i feel its totally worth it.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

my car was 17k, i got the 1.9 for 60 and i got a 6 year 75000 mile bumper to bumper extended with 100 dollar deductible. I figured first of all, im paying the car off for that long might as well have a warranty, and somethings bound to break worth a thousand bux in the course of 6 years. This was 900 bux and was financed in along with the tax and no down payment or nothing. The monthly dues went up like 20 bux more a month but i feel its totally worth it.
Does anyone know if you could have bought an extended warranty later?Maybe after 2 1/2 years and pay cash?
I was given that choice when I bought my Hondas. That way I'm not financing a warranty (big mistake) that I'm not using for 3 years! Of course the Hondas have cheap ext warranties and I see Ford's are a bit expensive...

I heard today that GM is going to be offering another year to all of its factory warranties for free! Let's see if Ford matches that, and more important, offers it with the Mustang!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:32 AM
danam
2nd Gear Member

I think it's worth it, my 2003 Crown Vic which I purchased new in 02, the transmission went last year at 43000 miles. I had the warranty and it cost me ZERO, the bill was over $3100 for a new tranny. I just bought my wife an 06 Freestar and got the 6 years 100K mile warranty bumper to bumper. I usually keep the cars around 6-7 years anyways.

Quick Reply: Is an extended Warranty Worth the Money?