Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking/Chugging between gears V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Wildcat13
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Clunking/Chugging between gears V6

Hate to tell you "happy_pony" but that is exactly what mine was doing - w/ the 1st and 2nd tranny. The dealer said the noise which I thought was coming from the engine was coming from the tranny; but they had no idea why. My husband said it sounded like the engine was running w/ rubberbands - your description sounds more like it though; chopper like.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:48 PM
happy_pony

Thanks, Wildcat!
Now I really start to worry

You are saying you had exactly same symptoms on both transmissions? Original one and 1st replacement?
Or there was something different with 2nd tranny?
And the 3rd one solved the problem? There was no clunking/whirring at all?

And most important question: how did dealer react when you brought it in first time?
Was it hard to convince them that something was wrong? Or they do admit that some transmissons are defective?

Thanks again
not_so_happy_pony
Old 09-09-2006, 03:50 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

EVERYONE has problems getting into reverse, there are a few tricks in your owners manual. first and second are very noisy gears, especially the shift from first to second. That is just the nature of our tranny. I have driven 2 stick stangs and they both were exactly the same way. If you really think its a bad sound then take it in, it can't hurt, but we have extremely noisy trannys and most of the clunks are normal.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Wildcat13
1st Gear Member

the dealer actually alerted me to the problem when I took delivery of my car. They got it from another dealership so they test drove when it came in and they called me to tell me there was a problem w/ the tranny and they would replace it. They replaced it a week after I took delivery. The replacement tranny (tranny #2) did the exact same thing the original one did. I never found out if the 3rd one fixed the problem b/c I traded her in w/ her sitting in their service center w/o a tranny in it at all; a new tranny (tranny #3) and a new clutch plate were on order.

I had all the above "symptoms" the entire time I had the car.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:22 AM
onlyponywoleather

I hate to be a newbie and bump old posts, but my 06 v6 is doing the same thing!!! its sounds like a chatter at like 2000 rpm. i took it back but the service tech didn't hear it on his test drive so when i took him i showed him it was loudest on 4th gear at about 40mph. he told me to put it in 3rd and said i was shifting too soon his 20 years experience says its a normal noise. i'm taking it to another dealer to get a 2nd opinion.

The good part is that a service guy told me that since I reported the problem, if anything is wrong with the car it is covered past my 36000.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:30 AM
vponymike6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wildcat13

Many people have had these complaints - from what I have read over the past few months. I can say that the V6 I test drove did not sound or drive like mine. Mine had all of the above mentioned "symptoms" from the day I got it. The salesman (when I traded my V6 for my GT) told me they have had some complaints about the V6 tranny - The clunking may just be "normal" for most of them. Mine was much more than just clunking so if that is your only "symptom" I wouldn't freak out too much. Just keep an "ear" on it and see if you notice anything else that doesn't sound quite right. You have awhile before your warranty is up.
hey wildcat how much credit did they give you on your v6? im lookind to do the same thing..
Old 09-29-2006, 01:49 PM
happy_pony

Hello Everybody!

I just got back from the dealership where my pony got her first oil change.
Here is the news:

The guy went into Ford’s database and showed me all records related to manual transmission for ’05-’07 V6.

All of the above mentioned "symptoms" and even more, all was very nicely and precisely described (it’s like I was reading about my car) and all of it was ultimately defined as “normal behaviorâ€. There were some explanations about design of the drive shaft, the fact that reverse gear has no synchronizer, etc… I did not really pay a lot of attention to it since all I wanted to know was whether my pony is healthy or not.

So, the conclusion is: IT’S PERFECTLY NORMAL!

Also the they told me that V6 manual is a rare creature, so no surprise the dealer who sold the car to Wildcat had no clue what they were doing. (It’s very likely that Wildcat’s Mustang was the only manual V6 they ever sold)

Thank you all and have a great weekend!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:01 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

Yes, unfortunilty those noisy gears are normal, they were like that at the start and still are. I had no problems with them . My car is 6 months old and I already put over 17000 miles on it and hadin't had to do anything with the gears ( and I grinded them a few times too, and almost went into R once by accident -done some stupid stuff-) and there still good....
I am considering going to a higher ratio (4.10s) + t-lock.any one whos done this does the "noise" still remain once there changed??
Old 09-29-2006, 03:15 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Remember, all manual transmissions make noise. The one's used in the Mustang and every other car now use a very light transmission fluid. The light fluid does not cushon the gears like the old 80-90 gear old did. I test drove a V6 5-speed car and the trans got noisier as the trans warmed up and the oil thinned down. You may ask the dealer if there is a heavier oil that can be installed to quiet it down a little.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Wildcat13
1st Gear Member

Original: vponymike6
hey wildcat how much credit did they give you on your v6? im lookind to do the same thing..
They gave me $16,500 I believe. It was a month ago so i can't remember if it was 16k or 16.5k. I got screwed, but I couldn't pass up the 0% on the GT!

Quick Reply: Clunking/Chugging between gears V6