Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take it from a guy who knows

Old 09-12-2006, 02:54 PM
diondon
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Take it from a guy who knows

Shanners, thanks for your knowledge.
For the love of God, do you kow how to fix the rattle in the dash?
Is it something I can fix myself?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:16 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

You are referring to TSB 06-19-02. There is a revised clutch pack that is designed to eliminate this noise. Orignially the friction material on the clutch packs were made of a paper material. This was revised to a carbon fiber friction, which eventually began to make noise (that the tsb describes). Now they are back to paper and the new part number is provided in the above TSB. It has been successful. Best advice, drive the car for some time prior to your dealer visit and express the importance that it is test driven soon after arrival. Your dealer will not drive too long during a test drive as the tech is not paid to drive your car around. He is effectively working for nothing during the test drive and if he has a family to feed, will not drive it for hours should that be needed.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:23 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

This sounds like advise my father gave me when I got my first car, a 1973 Buick Regal (in 1977). Please correct me if I am wrong but most of these these tips from "a guy who really knows" don't really apply to today's cars. Also, there is some lack of information or vagueness regarding the source of these statements.

I think with today's cars if you follow the manual and service guide, you should not be too concerned about these things unless there is a TSB that applies or you experience a specific problem.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

dash rattles are not my thing..... but I can look into it for you. The 06 i just had over the weekend was quiet as a church mouse but I will do a little research..... Meph, I agree. Relativity is not just for physicists. It applies to common sense as well. The premise to better fuel economy is reduce our dependency on foreign oil. The slack in your pocket book is a byproduct, as crappy as that sounds. Ethanol fuel and gas/ethanol hybrids are the best bet at this point in our struggle. The only benefit ethanol has is it's ability to be replentished. Stoichiometry is nearly half that of gasoline, so your mileage is nearly cut in half. It requires more heat engergy to produce a gallon of ethanol than you can get out of it. It has virtually no emission benefits. WE can make more, that is the key. God, I was born 30 years too late. At 25 I want the loudest, nastiest, gas guzzling hunk of muscle you can find. At 25 I can't make enough money or muster enough disregard to the environment to own one. (plus the 70's had the best rock as well.) Anyone figures out how to reverse time, be sure to let me know [&:]
Old 09-12-2006, 03:40 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

With all due respect stanger, my sources are solid as the ground you stand on. I work for Ford and give dealership technicians advice on how to repair your car. I decided to share some of that info with you "laymen" against my better judgement. (I don't want to loose this job). They call me when nobody at the dealer can figure out how to fix your car. I will gladly consider any proof you can provide that would contradict my statements.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

With all due respect stanger, my sources are solid as the ground you stand on. I work for Ford and give dealership technicians advice on how to repair your car. I decided to share some of that info with you "laymen" against my better judgement. (I don't want to loose this job). They call me when nobody at the dealer can figure out how to fix your car. I will gladly consider any proof you can provide that would contradict my statements.
Since you are the Ford "Go To Guy" ... if a technician see's a Cold Air Intake on a vehicle are they gonna try to blame it on the intake or possibly deny warranty coverage for engine issues?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

As far as the K&N air filter statement goes I was assuming you meant the CAI's that don't require a retune like the K&N or Airraid, atleast one of those actually comes with a new MAF that tricks the computer I think. As far as the fuel pump goes do you know if my 06 built in May of 06 has a revised fuel pump? I've not really experienced any symptoms, but I rarely cruise for long periods and then lay the hammer down.

I've never experienced the gas tank problem either, but I can tell you that when the pump clicks off it means that tank is F*cking full and if you try and top it off it will spill out!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Unless the filter element is packed full of crap, they typically cannot directly attribute engine failure to an intake modification. There are exceptions to everything in life and this is no exception....... if that makes sense.....lol....

Airaid is one of our most notorious lean contributors. They are all junk. ANY aftermarket system will change the characteristics of aiflow and even if the MAF is recalibrated to compensate for this, it will still increase the margin of error. Bottom line, if your computer can't compensate for the change - you will see a check engine light or have drive symptoms. Otherwise if all seems well you may only end up with a slight reduction in fuel economy.

All 2005-2006 mustangs apply to tsb in previous post. If you don't have the issue - you don't need the pump. If your mustang takes fuel normally, you got off good. Play lottery more often
Old 09-12-2006, 04:41 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Thanks shaners ...
Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
PDXStangDude
1st Gear Member

Cool info shaners!!

But I have a few questions. What about Steeda, C&L, and JLT CAI's. The big performers in that market. I saw a huge driving performance when I had my car dyno tuned with my JLT II on (to the likes of 309rwhp on a mustang dyno w/ 91octane, 70 degree temp). I realize I'm taking risks with the whole warranty thing but damn it is hard to pass up the performance gains. My milage has stayed status quo maybe even gained.

Oh, I have no problem nocking the cobwebs off my 06'!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Take it from a guy who knows